#41 Lowengrin

Lowengrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 08:05 PM

Two small wishes, in case you have time for such vanities:
1) When carrier is sunk, and squads on board are transferred to a land-based airfield, ActivePlanes = 0.

Funny, I thought it already did....

2) Custom Mission Selection, if Day/Night is set to "day", the earliest hour should be 6 instead of 5. At 5 it's bloody dark on most maps at most dates.

I'll look into it.

#42 Lowengrin

Lowengrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 09:17 PM

I've added some code to set the ship class in the shipnames.dcg file. Right now it only works for capital ships (CV, CVE, BB, CA, CL, DD). If it works, I'll probably expand it so users can also add transports and other types to the lists.

http://members.shaw....dcg384beta5.zip

#43 sniperton

sniperton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:18 AM

Many, many thanks, Paul, for the upgrade!

Nevertheless, I'm still having the problem described by WindWeapon in #33 and confirmed by me in #37. I don't understand why You and Wol (if still around) don't have it. I'm not at all sure that it's related to the _ru file, but both stock 4.12.2 and HSFX 7.1 hangs and DCG quits with an "invalid file" message when I try to use a version past 3.48 beta 3. Prior versions are OK. An X-file, it is.

Other: I see that naval units are identified now by a tag in the shipnames file. Provided a ship is both there and in gobject and gunits, should it also work for those placed via a timetable command? Or is it a trial version?

As mentioned, files are generated fine, but I can't test them other than in the FMB.

#44 Lowengrin

Lowengrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:52 PM

Provided the ship is in the names file, it should work.

If I could replicate the problems you're having, I could (maybe) address them. I'll see about adding a toggle for the _ru file so that you can turn it off.

#45 Lowengrin

Lowengrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:55 AM

So I added the toggle for the ru.prop file only to find that I wasn't get some missions to load in the FMB with or without it. Turns out the map name was the problem - my code was generating it with lowercase ("murmanskS") when it should have been ("MurmanskS"). Funny that the game isn't case sensitive but the mission builder is.

Sniperton, any chance you're having a similar problem?

#46 Lowengrin

Lowengrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:44 AM

Added a toggle under "Languages" for having or not having a "_ru.properties" file in the same language as activated above it. Fixed Murmansk so it will load in the FMB.

http://members.shaw....dcg348beta6.zip

#47 sniperton

sniperton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:34 PM

Thanks for the fix! Now seems to work fine both in the stock game and HSFX, both with and without the _ru prop file. :) Dunno whether it was related to the LCase/UCase issue, though. I had the problem with a 3rd party campaign with all lcase filenames except for the physical map (MTO) and the master files.

As to the new feature, I tested it in HSFX, but no joy. All files in a 3rd party folder.
gobjects:

Ships.HMSIllustriousCV 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 None
Ships.HMSEagle 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 None

gunits:

Ships.HMSIllustriousCV 1
Ships.HMSEagle 1

shipnames:

[HMSIllustriousCV] CV
HMS Eagle
[HMSEagle] CV
HMS Eagle

timetable:

19401013 NewColumn 31_Chief Ships.HMSEagle 1 @P2_Sea $HMS Eagle ~A
19401013 AddSquad 801sq0
19401013 NewPlane 801sq0 Fulmar1
19401013 MoveSquad 801sq0 HMS Eagle

Didn't work, Fulmars deployed on land. It did work when I changed Ships.HMSEagle to Ships.HMSIllustriousCV. Same results when I delete the NewColumn line and place 31_Chief via the master file. That is, DCG doesn't recognize HMSEagle as a carrier despite the code in shipnames.

As you don't have HSFX, you'd see the result of a successful tweak only if a Fulmar or Swordfish tried to deploy (and banged) on a non-carrier. Already happened with Wol's CV tankette... ;)

#48 Lowengrin

Lowengrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:16 AM

Okay, I may have missed a bit of the code when it comes to using the shipnames file. I'll have a look at it tomorrow. Too bad the Eagle hadn't been ID'd as Ships.HMSEagleCV....

#49 sniperton

sniperton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:34 AM

Too bad the Eagle hadn't been ID'd as Ships.HMSEagleCV....

Yep, this has been discussed here: http://www.sas1946.c...ic,20774.0.html (with a list of problematic warship designations)

Some of them follow a pattern like "carrier", "destroyer" or "corvette", but the rest is pretty chaotic. The same applies to the other ships (not listed here): there's a "tankerX" and a "transportX" type, but the rest doesn't follow any clear pattern.

Edit:
Just an idea. Now you generously spend time to add some code to the routine for processing shipnames. What if you added this code to either gunits or gobjects instead? I mean an added column with a classification code for EACH unit. Something like you have in the class file for planes, but this time for all naval and ground units. You know it much better than me how DCG handles unit types, but it seems that it has a DUKW type, a Tral type, a ZIS-fuel type, a spawn column type, a Carrier-type, etc, each with special 'functionalities'. Now if you could 'read' and assign these types from an external file, all this naming convention nightmare would be gone.

Perhaps the last column in gobjects could be used for such functional 'aliases'? Just an idea, don't shoot me... ;)

#50 Lowengrin

Lowengrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:36 AM

I actually considered adding it to one of the other files but I was thinking only in terms of ships. However, you're right that if I expanded it to all ground units, special abilities (like transporting, carriers, capital ships, etc,) could all be defined through this file. More than that, multiple special abilities could be defined to one type.

But, that would require a hell of a lot of code rewrite.

Edit: BTW, I just noticed that I've got some hard coding when it comes to ship's nationalities. For example, for US carriers, the ID must include "USS", British must have "HMS" and Japanese "IJN" so that the proper squadrons get put on them. It will override even assignments through the timetable.

Edit 2: Stationary objects do not have unique names in DCG, only IDs so this new code won't work for them. Not that any stock campaign uses stationary ships, but someone somewhere might.

#51 Lowengrin

Lowengrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:12 AM

Fixed so that carriers are recognized as the floating airfields that they are.

http://members.shaw....dcg348beta7.zip

Note: this still uses the ship ID type in the shipnames.dcg file. I may change this down the road.

#52 sniperton

sniperton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:53 PM

Thanks, I’ll test it tonight.

Edit: BTW, I just noticed that I've got some hard coding when it comes to ship's nationalities. For example, for US carriers, the ID must include "USS", British must have "HMS" and Japanese "IJN" so that the proper squadrons get put on them. It will override even assignments through the timetable.

I see, so a proud USN squad would in no way deploy on a crappy Tommy carrier ?. Anyway, all this doesn’t seem to be a major problem, because within the timeframe of Il-2 1946, only the British and the American might operate carriers together, and these do retain the USS and HMS code in their designations. The only unfortunate exception is the HMS Ameer designated as carrier1 in HSFX.

However, you're right that if I expanded it to all ground units, special abilities (like transporting, carriers, capital ships, etc,) could all be defined through this file. More than that, multiple special abilities could be defined to one type. But, that would require a hell of a lot of code rewrite.

Yep, but what if…

Ships.Carrier1 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 HMSAmeerCVL

Maybe I’m completely wrong, but I suppose that unit names are stored and evaluated as a text array like UnitName[n]. If you gave it another dimension (UnitName[n, 0..1]) and assigned „Carrier1” to UnitName[n, 0] and HMSAmeerCVL to UnitName[n, 1], AND DCG used and evaluated throughout this latter EXCEPT when reading and writing data from and to external files, then the whole problem could be overcome by a simple conversion table as the above one. Then it would be the user’s responsibility to provide DCG-compatible alias-names.

Just an idea, again, don’t shoot…

[And what if you used one of those useless bits to indicate whether the unit is included in gunits too? DCG would have one less file to process.]

#53 sniperton

sniperton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:48 PM

Quick test done, seems to work, many thanks! Fulmars taking off from HMS Eagle (HMSEagle) and HMS Ameer (Carrier1), no matter whether I place them via a timetable command or via the master file. (Another question that they crash due to the shoortness of both runways, although it's known that Fulmars were operated from HMS Eagle.)

#54 Lonestar

Lonestar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:54 AM

http://members.shaw....dcg348beta7.zip

Note: this still uses the ship ID type in the shipnames.dcg file. I may change this down the road.

Many thanks for the new updates, Lo!

#55 ColHut

ColHut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:57 AM

Apologies for not being around. My Computer shot itself about three weeks ago and I only finally replaced the innards yesterday. back to some reading, testing, and updating!

regards

Wol

#56 Lowengrin

Lowengrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:17 AM

...they crash due to the shortness of both runways, although it's known that Fulmars were operated from HMS Eagle.

I remember reading way back that the ship models were scaled down from their actual size so that might be why their crashing.

You could try increasing their speeds (the carriers). Really, if I was on the ball, I'd work on some code that looked at wind direction and speed and make the carriers turn into the wind to launch and recover aircraft.

#57 Lowengrin

Lowengrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:19 AM

Maybe I’m completely wrong, but I suppose that unit names are stored and evaluated as a text array like UnitName[n]. If you gave it another dimension (UnitName[n, 0..1]) and assigned „Carrier1” to UnitName[n, 0] and HMSAmeerCVL to UnitName[n, 1], AND DCG used and evaluated throughout this latter EXCEPT when reading and writing data from and to external files, then the whole problem could be overcome by a simple conversion table as the above one. Then it would be the user’s responsibility to provide DCG-compatible alias-names.

Just an idea, again, don’t shoot…

Where's my gun? :)

#58 Lowengrin

Lowengrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:21 AM

Apologies for not being around. My Computer shot itself about three weeks ago and I only finally replaced the innards yesterday. back to some reading, testing, and updating!

regards

Wol

I hope it shot itself only because it was in dire need of an upgrade that you were planning to do anyway.

Welcome back!

#59 sniperton

sniperton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:33 AM

You could try increasing their speeds (the carriers). Really, if I was on the ball, I'd work on some code that looked at wind direction and speed and make the carriers turn into the wind to launch and recover aircraft.

Direction changes would make ship collisions even more likely IMHO. Anyway, no need to worry, all this was a false alarm on my side. Since then I have tracked down the problem to an individual mod plane (D.520) I added to my HSFX installation: dunno how, it seems to have screwed up the flight model of other planes as well. In a clean HSFX, Fulmar IS able to take off from both CVs and CVLs.

#60 sniperton

sniperton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:45 AM

Where's my gun? :)

In case you haven't found it yet, please consider to make campaign settings 3rd party folder specific. I mean all settings from dcg.ini except for the working paths info.

In case you have found it, please disregard whatever you may have read above :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users