Battle of Stalingrad pre-order

Klaiber

Thanks! I'll definitely pre-order. I'll just have to check the purse strings to see what I can swing.

The only thing I'm really concerned about is what type of system will be needed in order to run BOS.

My rig is 4 years old now. And I had massive problems running COD until they finally patched it (both officially and unofficially).

If BOS is a next-gen sim, my worry is that I'm going to get left behind a bit.

I'm in the exact same situation. I built my rig in May of '08 to what was the best components of that time. I've only upgraded my video card to basically replace an SLI pair with a single card to reduce resources on the MoBo and finally overclocked the CPU. I could barely run CloD online until the ATAG patch, too. My confidence lies in the fact that they are using RoF as a baseline for development. Even if the resource needs are somewhere between RoF and CloD (pre-ATAG) you and I should be alright.

My back-up plan is my wishlist on Newegg, a new CPU and MoBo with my remaining components intact. ;)

Good thing now with computers is they don't double in performance every 6 months. Machines now are still 3-4 GHz. The really meat and potatoes is in the video cards. Graphics has always been the bottleneck. So good news, a graphics card update may be the solution to get reasonably up to date.

I just got an email from 1C Game Studios that clarified the rear gunner.

Most of you must have noticed that the video trailer features an IL-2 with a rear gunner; however this version of the IL-2 is not in the announced list of planes that will be available at launch. Today we happily reveal that the IL-2 weapon modification with a rear mounted ShKAS gun will be available from the start to everyone who pre-orders the game before September 1st, 2013.

I do hope (and honestly, expect) that the rear gunner is an unlock that people can get in the SP campaign as they have mentioned before.

The previews look really good and why not? It is the Digital Nature engine. But there is some "things".. First, it's DirectX 9. BoS will be DX9 until such time as they feel it worth putting in DX11. Double edge sword here, but still looks good. My guess is DX11 would be implement en masse to RoF and BoS.

I am really hoping that they extend the existing online campaign engine. Myself, getting a taste for what the IL-2: Cliffs of Dover scripting can do, has really set the bar here. Compared to the issues that RoF had/has with online campaigning, IL-2 has really spoiled me here. This will end up being a really big deal for me.

Also, this better be Windows 8 compatible. I don't care about the 'metro' style but sheesh it needs to run.

While they say 'FreeTrack' will be supported I hope that doesn't mean that we get something less than full TrackIR support.

They say that Falling parts (from other aircraft) can damage your aircraft. I wonder if that means large pieces (wings or tail feathers) or small pieces too so as general debris.

Regardless of the short comings I will be getting the game. With the exception of my multiplayer expectations, and the Windows 8 support, the others are nothing more than talking points.

• 5 weeks later...

They extended pre-orders for one more month and they are offering specials skins with the pre-orders.

I still haven't figured what business model they will use for BoS. Will we pay for each aircraft or we have to pay ~50$ every time they release a new scenario (map + set of aircrafts)?

The previews look really good and why not? It is the Digital Nature engine. But there is some "things".. First' date=' it's DirectX 9. BoS will be DX9 until such time as they feel it worth putting in DX11. Double edge sword here, but still looks good. My guess is DX11 would be implement en masse to RoF and BoS. [/quote']

Somewhere on the BoS or RoF forum, I read Jason's post where he stated that developers implemented D10/11 features important for simulations directly into their engine/FlightFX utility. So the DirectX9 support should not be big issue imo. In fact, if you use the FlightFX program for RoF, there is absolutely nothing (graphically) CLOD would beat RoF. In fact I use the FlightFX for CLOD too, because it helps me to get off the too yellowish graphics and get a better (smoother) performance.

They say that Falling parts (from other aircraft) can damage your aircraft. I wonder if that means large pieces (wings or tail feathers) or small pieces too so as general debris.

I think the RoF system is well designed. There are no general debris. Only real part (smaller or bigger) falling from the planes. Sometimes they fall due your fire, sometimes they fall as a result of exceeding Gs, sometimes it's a combinations of both. In example, Albatros fighters suffer from loosing ailerons in hard G turns or too high diving speed, Nieuport is loosing its rudder. If they lost one, it flies in the air until it hit the ground. When they're in the air, you can collide with them and damage your plane. Few days ago I flew through the desintegrated FE.2b and collided with several pieces (luckilly it wasn't wing). Once I collided with the Nieuport wing (which he lost when exceeded G force during the dogfight). It broke strutters and the main spar of my left wing. It was "nice" to see how the wing damage becoming more serious, when I exceeded some 150km/h. The 15 minutes of really slow descending from 3 km of altitude, while I feared if my wing break definitely and I die and loose the 50 kills streak or if the wing keeps on is something I never experience in CloD :) It's nothing against CloD I like that sim.

Here is a picture of my Halb D.II after the collision with debris of FE.2:

http://imageshack.us/a/img802/15/74o3.jpg

I hope it helps a bit to get a slightly better view on things around a BoS.

Btw, the good online campaign is something I'm waiting for since the Falcon 4.0 :) I hope we will see it in the BoS sometimes in the future, but I'm not sure it will be in the BoS itself. It's hard to say if developers have enough time to implement something like this in short time they have. I hope BoS will be something like basic construction and if it would be successful, the next additions will bring us new theaters, planes and features like multiplayer online generator (either coop or PvP style).

Luckily this fellow took a glancing blow on the prop. It could have been worse. Btw, the first plane he shot down lost an aileron or something but he missed it.

One of the things I always thought wishy-washy about IL-2 was the "A-Team" plane explosions. While a plane can and will explode at times I always wanted to see some larger chunks, ie. parts of fuselage, wing or an engine spiraling towards the earth. God forbid you fly through that.

The only real bummer that I saw is that we wont be getting a IL2 form of COOP mode. I think that in general IL2 had one of the better AI and was a lot of fun doing these style missions where the whole Gruppe could fly on the same side and do a series of missions as a campaign, tell you the truth I enjoy that more than a PvP style game, but you never know how things will adapt

As long as you can still deal with my obsessive penchant for Stukas and Bf110s lol' date=' Ill load up RoF but Ill need some help with that one I wasnt very good with it, any particular plane I should have for it

[/quote']

Excellent! When you're ready to go with RoF, just drop me a PM.

I'll then get you sorted out and back on the Roster. :)

Also, if you're interested in flying IL-2 1946 with us, just let me know.

• 1 month later...

I posted on BoS forum today that I think the open date of premium access will be 19th November (the operation Uran anniversary). Just for fun. But...

Nope' date=' earlier!

And yes, we'll announce the start of early access + some other news later this week in the dev blog update. [/quote']

Link here

That's a great news.