Photo

Fleshed out MDS features, including 'MDS campaign' support.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 EvilJoven

EvilJoven

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:22 PM

Thanks for the DCG, Lowengrin, it makes hosting game sessions a lot easier and less time consuming to set up.

That being said, I see some room for improvement, if you're still actively developing.

The group I play IL-2 with tends to be the type to love co-op campaigns with varying levels of realism but hates having to sit out the rest of a session when they inevitably crash.

I've compromised by hosting MDS campaigns. I generate a campaign and then a MDS dogfight map, have them play it until they've run out of targets and bring down the server to generate the next MDS dogfight map. The front lines change, squadrons activate or deactivate and for the most part it works like a co-op campaign, only with respawn and jump-in jump-out gameplay.

That being said, I have a few suggestions to flesh this out way more.

Have options to limit how many human player aircraft are available. This is supported in game and would make MDS campaigns way more challenging. The number of aircraft could be set by a pull down menu or overall difficulty level. This way players need to preserve their pool of aircraft instead of just rushing out with a 'get as many kills before you die and then get a new plane' attitude.

Make the squadrons system more understandable. Right now when I'm configuring the mission I have no surefire way of knowing what squadrons will be active and available when I hit 'Generate Mission', even if I set a squadron to the plane I want to use, the field I want to spawn at and 'Human Only'. It'd be nice if it were easier knowing this as I'm often asked to change what planes are available between missions and I'd like to know that my selection is indeed going to work.

Implement the MDS radar system. The majority of the group I play on likes having some sort of map icons available. I'd like to see radar implemented in the DCG with options to be able to quickly adjust the floor, ceiling and refresh rate of the map icons to add more challenge. Right now it's 'all or nothing' if I don't want to spend time between missions adjusting these by hand.

Thanks.

#2 Nephris

Nephris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:41 AM

Apparently all your suggestion are already implemented and do work.

Have options to limit how many human player aircraft are available. This is supported in game and would make MDS campaigns way more challenging. The number of aircraft could be set by a pull down menu or overall difficulty level. This way players need to preserve their pool of aircraft instead of just rushing out with a 'get as many kills before you die and then get a new plane' attitude

It is implemented. Human only/Flight Size/flyable by/downgrade gives you all you need to achieve what you suggested ,even without the server commander.

Make the squadrons system more understandable. Right now when I'm configuring the mission I have no surefire way of knowing what squadrons will be active and available when I hit 'Generate Mission', even if I set a squadron to the plane I want to use, the field I want to spawn at and 'Human Only'. It'd be nice if it were easier knowing this as I'm often asked to change what planes are available between missions and I'd like to know that my selection is indeed going to work.

All squadrons that shall be active can be set in the squadron editor.
If you need a complete closeup, check out the squadron dcg file.
You are ble to determine flyable and actrive planes either via squadron editor or via timetable if you prefer to plan ahead.

Implement the MDS radar system. The majority of the group I play on likes having some sort of map icons available. I'd like to see radar implemented in the DCG with options to be able to quickly adjust the floor, ceiling and refresh rate of the map icons to add more challenge. Right now it's 'all or nothing' if I don't want to spend time between missions adjusting these by hand

Radar system is implemented by the game and it is working,...we made use several times of it.
Radar system has actually nothing to do with DCG itself but the master file. Open the master file and add the MDS option u d like to get and resave it. Most master files were created long before 4.10 was released.If you want to make use of recon flights use the latest DCG beta.

#3 EvilJoven

EvilJoven

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:08 AM

Apparently all your suggestion are already implemented and do work.

It is implemented. Human only/Flight Size/flyable by/downgrade gives you all you need to achieve what you suggested ,even without the server commander.

Incorrect. The options for available planes in the Homebase do not limit how many aircraft are available. In theory, you could generate the mission and then crash countless thousands of aircraft in to the ground.

All squadrons that shall be active can be set in the squadron editor.
If you need a complete closeup, check out the squadron dcg file.
You are ble to determine flyable and actrive planes either via squadron editor or via timetable if you prefer to plan ahead.

How does this help when I can only set what squadrons are available BEFORE hitting generate. If I give squadron 1, for instance, HS129s, hit Generate and have the DCG decide to deactivate squadron 1 (which happens) then I'm left without that plane being available.

Radar system is implemented by the game and it is working,...we made use several times of it.
Radar system has actually nothing to do with DCG itself but the master file. Open the master file and add the MDS option u d like to get and resave it. Most master files were created long before 4.10 was released.If you want to make use of recon flights use the latest DCG beta.

The radar system having nothing to do with DCG is the problem I want addressed in the first place. What I'm asking for is a way to easily set it up in the DCG, have the settings I've chosen be set in the mission when I hit Generate and not have to do this in the mission. I'm trying to avoid having to fire up the FMB between each mission.

Every one of your statements seems to imply that feature X in the DCG is implemented because by monkeying around in the FMB for a half hour between missions I can sort this stuff out. That's not what I'm looking for.

#4 sniperton

sniperton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:07 AM

So far as I know, there are no straightforward solutions for your problems other than the workaround suggested by Nephris.

#5 Lowengrin

Lowengrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 07:59 PM

What I'm asking for is a way to easily set it up in the DCG, have the settings I've chosen be set in the mission when I hit Generate and not have to do this in the mission. I'm trying to avoid having to fire up the FMB between each mission.

Every one of your statements seems to imply that feature X in the DCG is implemented because by monkeying around in the FMB for a half hour between missions I can sort this stuff out. That's not what I'm looking for.

No, you don't need to monkey around in the the FMB for a half hour between mission IF you apply your tweaks to the master file for that campaign in the MASTER folder of DCG before you start the campaign. In fact, you can make the tweaks once in one file and then copy and paste them using NOTEBOOK or some other text editor into all the MASTER campaign files that you ever intend to use.

And if you are in the middle of the campaign, if you run DCG and double click on the Status bar at the bottom of the screen where it shows the path to the active campaign, you can then have the folder open up for you and in it you'll find a MDS.DCG file. Just copy and paste your MDS commands into it and they'll be there for all future missions for that campaign.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users