Photo

Possible to Switch Plane Allegiance Mid Campaign?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 WindWeapon

WindWeapon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:02 AM

Have a bug? in the Ardennes Winter campaign where a few US fighter squads are missing from the main DCG data squadrons.dcg file. These include:
9AF_365FG_387FS
9AF_365FG_388FS
9AF_362FG_379FS
9AF_365FG_386FS

However, since I am mid campaign and have nearly 100 ground kills and no death yet, wanted to see if there was a way to correct the campaign while ongoing to switch a few flights to "friendly" side.

Basically, I have P-38 and a P-47 flights which spawn at an enemy airfield and thus gets blown away by the airfield defenses while on tarmac. When in the DCG UI and looking at the Squadrons Editor panel I see the planes listed and the correct corresponding squads (seen above); however, they spawn at only enemy field (cannot change field to friendly) and the pilots in the squad are listed as german. Thus it appears that these squads and their associated planes, though Allied, are recognized by DCG as Axis. However, once in game, they are indeed Allied and get blown away on the enemy field. Of course if the air spawn, the fly ok for allied.

Thus, is there a way to change the plane side from Axis to Allied mid-campaign, either though the DCG UI or in the code files associated with the running campaign? I am pretty familiar with the inter-workings of DCG, but did not see how to switch sides within the code files generated for the campaign (looking in gameroot/missions/campaigns/gb/ardennes.../ flying tempest for campaign)?

~S~
wind

#2 sniperton

sniperton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:24 AM

Those squads are not included in the squadids.dcg list of available squadrons, and are therefore regarded as German by DCG. ('Unidentified' squads are German by default.) Try to paste them into the US section there, and see whether they change allegiance with the next mission.

#3 WindWeapon

WindWeapon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:40 PM

Indeed, understood, and I have since corrected the squadids.dcg file for this missing squads for next time I create the campaign. However, now within an existing/running campaign, was wondering if there is a way to switch allegiance? Basically, assumption being that I would need to edit a file(s) inside the actual campaign directory in the game root which manages the campaign progress?

#4 sniperton

sniperton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:00 PM

Indeed, understood, and I have since corrected the squadids.dcg file for this missing squads for next time I create the campaign. However, now within an existing/running campaign, was wondering if there is a way to switch allegiance? Basically, assumption being that I would need to edit a file(s) inside the actual campaign directory in the game root which manages the campaign progress?

If you want those squads to become American and Red, just try what I suggested. It should also work mid-campaign; report back if not.

American and Blue, or German and Red, is impossible. If you look at a .mis file, you'll see that no info is given there concerning nationalities and sides. It's because Il-2 is hardcoded in a way that squad names are linked to nations which, in turn, are linked to sides. That is, 9AF_365FG_387FS will never be handled other than as an American squad on the Red side in Il-2 (despite the fact that DCG may have regarded it as German due to some lacking info in the squadids file).

#5 WindWeapon

WindWeapon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:15 PM

I tried suggestion (actually, I tried that before suggestion as I saw the missing entries while initially debugging); however, it did not work. Upon correctly adding the squads to the squadids.dcg file in the DCG UI data folder, upon cycling a new mission, the planes/squads did not switch over. My guess is that if a start a brand new campaign, all will align correctly; however, since I am mid campaign I was hoping to make an edit in the game root working campaign dcg file(s) to fix.

No worries if not... Once I get killed in this campaign, will restart it from scratch to pull in the correct squads. Though likely for the next upcoming beta release, may be best to update the squadids.dcg file to include these missing squad ids:
9AF_365FG_387FS
9AF_365FG_388FS
9AF_362FG_379FS
9AF_365FG_386FS

~S~
wind

#6 sniperton

sniperton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:47 PM

Upon correctly adding the squads to the squadids.dcg file in the DCG UI data folder, upon cycling a new mission, the planes/squads did not switch over.

They only (might) switch over when you play the previously generated mission and let DCG generate the next one. Possible changes are effective from the next mission. That is,

1) add squads to squadids;
2) play mission generated before squadids changes;
3) check NEXT mission generated AFTER playing the mission generated before squadid changes.

Try this if you haven't done it this way. If you have, my only remaining guess is that you may want to edit the status.dat file in your campaign/... folder (where your mission files reside). Try to set the number '2' to '1' in front of these squads.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users