Thinking about new video card

Klaiber

Hi Guys,

I'm exploring the possibility of getting a new video card in order to expand the lifespan of my already aging PC.

I bought this current computer in the Spring of 2009.  And unfortunately, I won't be able to buy a new computer for some time.

Here are my current specs.  Let me know what you guys think:

Motherboard: Asus P6T Delux V2
Display Adapter: ATI Radeon HD 5870
Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
Memory: 8.00 GB
System: Vista 64-bit

Thanks!

Can you add the resolution you use and the price range?

In example, I bought new card year ago. I chose nVidia 660 Ti because there was a tiny difference between that card and higher models on the relatively small resolution I use (1680x1050). But if I'd use something like 2560x1440 it would be a different story.

Hey Klai

I just picked this up, and am very pleased! With my res its doing quite well.

A little higher than your price quote.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8796896&CatId=7387

Klai Im an ATI guy, for no particular reason.

But I thought some ATI nominclature might help.

The 1st 2 numbers (5870) IE(58) represent the  power/featues in that series.

A 57 is less than a 58, and a 59 is more (57 entry level, 58 mainstream, 59 hot rod)

And the same with the 2nd 2 numbers (5870) IE (70)

50, 70, and 90 usally more/less shaders per number and bits stream.

So a 5750 is the wimp compaired to 5990...so most of the time there are 9 cards in a series.

Now ATI is using a new nominclature, but following the general same route. IE R7 and R9 with 250, 60, 70, 80, and 90

The kicker is that only R9 290's are new cards, anything less are hotroded 7000 series. 

So my R9 270 is a hotroded 7950 (79) high (50) low card

If you look... 7950's with 2gb, can be had all over the place at $200, so can R9's 2gb 270's

Hope this helps! Maybe?

As a side note: I know you have lots of fans...Im sure (just depends on a few things) with just a few bios tweeks

we could get more Ghz, and a cycle or 2 off the ram. With a new GPU you could once again be a rockin'

Mox

If I would need a new card nowadays, it would be nVidia G760 or ATI 270X. Few years ago I used to have few ATI cards, but I was tired that like 1 out of 3 drivers were working without problem (I hope this is not a case today). Another thing is, that most of the game I play are better suited for nVidia. At least it seems to me.

So if I would need new card, I'd choose the G760. It should have slightly better performance (what I saw on Tom's hardware it's up to 10-15 per cent) but on the other hand the R9 270X could has better price to performance ratio slightly. All depends on specific model and vendor. So as I said my choice is more about personal preferences than anything else. 

Anyway neither of these two types of video card should be wrong option. 

Klai

I wanted to post something that's relevent to me. (features for hook up)

Any  card above min. entry level  will hook up extended desk top's (2 monitors)

With the advent of ultra high def. requiring 2 out's. Just about everyone is good (at least on desk top)

But in my case. My new card gave me an advantage, as it included  HDMI.

The advantage...wth my rig,  (at a min. price) to get long cables, (almost anywhere)

So I can get to the back of my pc, with out banging my head under my desk.

Minor....but?

As I just reciently found out. Monitor manufacture is changing!

Mox

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Otto,

I changed my system right before BA. Before that I was a huge AMD fan but as Pragr says they were not always very helpful in playing my flightsims. So I changed to Nvidia and I must say with great succes. Probably it has nothing to do with it but during BA at the moment I saw the sky being emptied from biplanes I was still flying.

I choose for the Nvdia Geforce GTX 770 with 8GB (16GB if you use mutiple screens) and an Intel i7-4770 CPU with 16 GB. I run it with win 8 without any problems.

For me it was just the little extra or less performance compared with the prices that I choose for the 770 and not the 760 or 780.

Heinrich

PS: although I build my own desktop, I am absolutely no expert in this. All I can do is read tests and make model kits. Everyone above will beat me with just 1 question. :)

• 5 months later...

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to give you an update regarding my computer.

I've decided to get a new video card, and more RAM.

Here is my current system:

Power Supply: Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1000 1000W
Motherboard: ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel
Processor: Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield Quad-Core 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Processor BX80601920
Memory: 8.00 GB CORSAIR
Main Hard Drive: Western Digital WD VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
System type: 64-bit Operating System, VISTA
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5870

And here is what I'm picking up:

Still trying to decide if I should get a Solid State Drive to replace my current HDD.

I'm wondering if I could use the SSD as a boot drive / game drive, while still retaining the HDD (without having to reformat the HDD).

What do you guys think?

Hi Klaiber,

thi is pretty much the same system I build in 2009.

The bottleneck will be most probably your Bloomfield in default clock.

That said you should seriously consider to lift the clock of the I7.

If you are using the boxed cooler you will be able to get 3 Ghz without any probs, should be 3.2Ghz.

The cores` max temp is given at 102°C by intel , so much more than common mondern cores today and even more you will ever reach or need.

If you got a more decent cooler or even a AiO cooler you should be able to gain 3.99 - 4,2 Ghz.

As I got aswell an Asus Board in those times and the same core, although different RAM I could give you my Bios values.

That way you can move step by step to a suitable core clock of your I7.

Leaving the 920 at 2,66Ghz is actually a sin, when you invest for remaining hardware updates.

BoS,Clodo and Arma3 e.g. profit much more of CPU power than one may suppose.

However there are so much tutorials in the web for clocking the I7 920.

Easiest step with a boxed cooler without changing the voltage, is moving your BCLK to 150 and setting the multiplicator on manua in your Bios. 150 (BCLK) x20 (Multiplicator) = 3000mhz (Core clock)...using this lightweight of core clock is apperantly your duty B)

If you are interested to keep an eye on the temperature use "RealTemp", however it is not needed in this area of clocking.

The screenshot of the bios below, serves just to link you the way. Dont use the settings. You navigate to the AI Tweaker section, set the overclock tuner on manual and lift the BCLK frequncy to 150. Press F10, job done. No risk but more power/FPS  for 5 clicks .

I got also a velocity raptor, formerly my OS HDD, right now it became my data grave on demand.

I always prefer the clean solution. Use a SSD install your OS and game to it.

If you like to keep your old system on the Raptor for copying things from on to another and fomat it 2 weeks after for proper use.

As for your HD6970, which is a nice card - used two of it in my rig those days - but it is also predestinated for clocking - not again... you will maybe think.

But with MSI Afterburner it is quiet easy to lift it for around 10%, even with its default fan.Your default clock of the 6970 should be 880hmz depending on the version, its mem clock is at 1375mhz.The screen attached below shows the last stable configuration I used.Quiet handy tool as you are able to monitor each components.

If you need help ,let me know.

My two german pennies. :)

post-304-0-31365700-1415438511_thumb.png

post-304-0-51248100-1415438518_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...