Computer upgrade

Barton

In the middle of upgrading my pc. New processor, mobo, video card, and moving from a 120gb ssd to a 240gb ssd.

Have everything in but the video card. Still installing software. Video card should go in tonight. But for some reason windows isn't recognizing the ssd even though the mobo does in the bios. Should get that figured out tonight as well.

Hopefully I will be up and running again before next FIF and I should be able to fly CLoD when this is all said and done.

For all who are wondering

the CPU is an i7 4790k devils canyon

z97 chipset mobo

gtx 960 4gb video card

If I'm not ready by Wednesday it's probably because I need a new CPU cooler. Reviews said it's hit and miss with stock cooler. The video card is effing huge. Good thing I have a full size case.

S! Barton, curious why a 240GB SSD? Have you heard anything bad as far as the 1tb? I just ordered a GTX 980 ti, can't wait to power that up! My next area for upgrade will be a larger SSD, so I am curious, also are you running the SSD solely for operating system?

Has anyone place ROF on a SSD and noticed any better performance then a HDD? I was again toying with the idea of having a third drive on my PC, strictly for RoF

~S~ Kempf

Ive been running ssd's for a while now.

For our flight sims I haven't seen any dramatic increases using ssd's like fps

But I'd never go back to reg hdd's for the OS or Programs of this sort

Load time's.

OK in reference to size. I put my OS, and my sim stuff on my 1st SSD

I ran out of room so fast, Ive have 2 120's now. Smaller ssd's are inexpensive

per gig, but that's all changing with time.

Word of advice back up, backup, system image, and back up, somewhere other than your ssd

When these fail (had one) , there is no warning, blink gone

Also as a sideline, maintenance on a ssd (defraging/clean space wiping) is different than a reg. hhd

Easier actually, but if windows is not set up correctly, you'll shorten its lifespan

Their measured in the amount of operations.

hope this helps, sorry about stepping in

Mox

I loaded the OS to the HDD because I had the SATA set to IDE.  I switched it to AHCI but I haven't had time to do much else.  The stock fan that comes with the i7 4790 is WOEFULLY INADEQUATE    Just running the BOIS had my CPU up over 74C.  I had windows loaded and was messing around with maybe installing software and the temp went up to 85C.  So I can't do shit with it until my new fan gets here this weekend, and I'll be out of town anyhow so it looks like I'm out of commission until at least next weeks FIF.  

Anyhow, I may experiment with putting the games on the SSD or I may just use it to record FRAPS since the higher data transfer rate doesn't create a bottleneck that can lead to reduced FPS or video quality.  IDK yet, we'll see.

Have a good week and weekend guys.  I'll see you all again soon!

S!

S! All \

just went through this.  installed Nvidia 970 gtx. Used Nvidia simple control panel and set it to quality. Set rof all to max except anti ailiasing and anisotropic filter. they at 2. Post effects at HDR high. Ground looks great. not sure I like the blood and oil. Rain and snow ok. FPS limit at 60.  It almost never drops below 60.

Installed Samsung 850 SSD  500g. it comes with clone software. tried it. crashed. tried loading from windows repair disk and system image. Repair disk does not like the SSD and the format of the image disk was not appropriate.  Spent 2 days trying to get it to work.  Finally saw video on another clone program  Macrium reflect.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh4uRhWwZT0  .

Worked fine. I plugged my ssd into a secondary drive slot. cloned my HD. took over 3 hours , 250 gig of data and my HD is slow. Unplugged the HD. switched the SSD to my Boot disk slot and it brought up windows in half the time it takes my modem to boot up. 

I have had the same gigundo tower case since 2000 when I put together my first machine. I just keep updating. It is wide enough that I use a monster turbo heat sink and fan. cost about $35. I7 3770.  Runs under 50 degrees C. usually around 42  to 48.

• 4 months later...

I started gathering components for a new build; ordered MB and processor.  I'll order the memory and SSD after I pay the CC bill at the end of this month.  This is what I've decided upon:

Processor  Intel Core i7-5930K Haswell-E 6-core 3.5 GHz

Motherboard  MSI X99S SLI Krait Edition

Memory  Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 X 16GB) DDR4 2666 MHz

Hard Drive  Samsung 850 EVO M.2 500 GB SATA III

I'll be reusing my case (CoolerMaster HAF), my power supply (1200 watt Thermaltake modular), my video card (MSI GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB GDDR5), and my sound card (Creative Sound Blaster Fatal1ty Champion series PCIe).

I went with the 5930 processor because it has 40 PCIe lanes as opposed to 28.  What that does is allow both PCIe slots to run in X16 mode when using dual SLI.  I'm not sure if I'll bother with SLI at first....later I may be able to procure another 680 for fairly cheap, or just upgrade to a single 900 series.  The 680 actually runs RoF very well at high settings so there is no huge hurry on that.

My real question is concerning the SSD.  That item is not really fully decided yet.  I want at least 500 GB, but don't really know what the best form factor is.  The MB allows using the M.2 form factor, but obviously PCIe could also be used, as well as SATA Express.  I'm trying for the highest quality (Samsung) and the largest size, for a reasonable price.  I want to use the best form factor out of what is available to me on this MB, without the price getting ridiculous (those $1,000 dollar and up models).  I thought the SATA III was still limited to 6 GB/S but it's hard to really get a clear picture when the specs are talking about Read/Write speeds in excess of 500 MB.  Obviously this isn't a leading edge drive because the price isn't outrageous, but it does seem to have some good software features which allow it to use free DRAM, which I'll have plenty of.  Anyway there's a lot to understand in this area, and if you guys have any thoughts please post them.  Thanks! 

Well, I found a pretty decent video that helps a lot in explaining the particulars of different SSD form factors:  video

However, it didn't say anything about SATA Express.  I need to start looking at the prices of those that are available.

One worry that I have is that the M.2 drive might not be bootable, or at least might be more problematic getting it to boot.  Since the SATA Express is basically an improvement or extension of regular SATA, I'm getting a feeling that it might be better suited to being the boot drive.  Obviously everything depends on the MB and it's BIOS so that will be harder to pin down.  The good part it that the MB is already on it's way, so I can take a close look at the manual and see what it has to say.

EDIT:  Update.  OK apparently SATA Express is sort of a dead interface; nobody (or almost nobody) sells them.  M.2 or PCIe are the two main newer form factors.  Of those, M.2 can be SATA, PCIe, or PCIe X4 (up to 32 GB/S).  What it seems to come down to is anything other than SATA III gets very expensive.  However I did find a 512 MB Samsung 950 Pro for just over $320.00.  Expensive yes, but not anywhere near Intel's PCIe models; and it has the ultra speed (up to about 5 X faster than regular SATA III reads).  Is it worth it? Can you tell that much?  It seems most guidance says that for regular users, you won't notice the difference that much.  Mean time between failures is equal.

OK apparently SATA Express is sort of a dead interface;

Too bad I have had no problems with my 2 SSD, SATA 6 and GSATAe, one set for boot OS only and the other for games, then I have a couple storage drive SATA for just that word docs and things that don't need speed.

Memory  Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 X 16GB) DDR4 2666 MHz

Just a question reason for 32 GB? OS recognizes it, but must games and applications don't, I virtualize servers with 32 - 64 GB that run 5-6 servers, so just curious as to what you run? But then more is better, :D

No, it isn't needed really; but in the end I want Corsair memory, and the limitations of what you can actually buy is a factor.  One reason though is apparently the software that comes with some of these SSDs (like Samsung) can use excess memory in an advantageous way to improve speed (don't ask me how that works).  For me, it's more about the type, speed and quality of the memory more than the amount.  Also that amount (probably even less) would safely allow no caching, but I'm so far behind in that knowledge that I wouldn't be surprised if that kind of setting is automatic now instead of something you can configure.

I haven't ordered the memory yet, and I do need to try to understand the memory channel thing better before I do.  For instance 2 X 16GB would allow dual channel configuration; but would 4 X 8GB in a four channel configuration be faster, given the exact same type of memory in both cases (other than DIMM size)?

Yes 32GB is excessive, but it seems like what is useful always changes over time, and you have to think about how long I keep the same machine (nearly 8 years for the one I'm currently using!) when everything is working well.  In any case I'm subject to change if there is an equal or better performance alternative for less money.

As for the SATA Express (I guess it has also been called SATAe [not to be confused with e-SATA]), I think you might be confused (I know I was).  SATA Express is different than regular SATA (such as SATA III).  Theoretically it's faster, and the 6GB/s SATAs have pretty much reached their speed limit within practicality, and doubling it would be too hard within that interface, so SATA Express was an alternative somebody thought up that made more sense.  But just because you build it doesn't mean anybody will come; MB manufacturers have added it's capability, but SSD manufacturers have ignored it and skipped directly to the PCIe interfaces which are much faster, instead of just incrementally faster (32GB/s compared to about 10 GB/s for SATA Express [theoretical]).

As for the SATA Express (I guess it has also been called SATAe [not to be confused with e-SATA]), I think you might be confused (I know I was).  SATA Express is different than regular SATA (such as SATA III).  Theoretically it's faster, and the 6GB/s SATAs have pretty much reached their speed limit within practicality, and doubling it would be too hard within that interface, so SATA Express was an alternative somebody thought up that made more sense.  But just because you build it doesn't mean anybody will come; MB manufacturers have added it's capability, but SSD manufacturers have ignored it and skipped directly to the PCIe interfaces which are much faster, instead of just incrementally faster (32GB/s compared to about 10 GB/s for SATA Express [theoretical]).

Makes perfect sense. So do the drives plug into an interface on the MB or is it an add in card of some sort? Makes me concerned if I ever have to replace my drives will I be able to find HDs to work with my MB? That will I hope be years from now :D

I haven't ordered the memory yet, and I do need to try to understand the memory channel thing better before I do.  For instance 2 X 16GB would allow dual channel configuration; but would 4 X 8GB in a four channel configuration be faster, given the exact same type of memory in both cases (other than DIMM size)?

Try this link it seems to give a very good answer to your question.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2114843/faster-quad-channel-ram-dual-channel.html

S!

For SATA Express, it uses a cable which plugs into the MB.  The socket looks like a "normal" SATA socket, I guess the cable is a little more "robust" (better shielding?).  On the board that I ordered, it has about 8 standard SATA ports, and just the one SATA Express port.

As for replacing your current drives someday, not to worry, LOL :D  In a standard SATA III interface and 2.5 inch internal form factor, there are still over 1,000 choices on Newegg alone....

I already altered my memory choice, narrowed down to 2.  The cheaper one is particularly a good deal, a "limited time" offer.  The more expensive one has pretty lights on it and somewhat different cooling, but otherwise is the same:

Memory choice 1

Memory choice 2

As you can see, 16GB, but a faster speed and quad channel for much less money than I had before.  Those speeds are misleading though, if you just plug them in and play they are only going to run at 2133 MHz I believe; anything higher and you have to overclock, but they are supposedly rated to do that in those kits.  These X99 motherboards have a thing called "XMP" which, if turned on, will automatically set the memory speed to the fastest safe speed that it can do.  The problem is that the MB has to increase certain clock speeds to do that, and I've heard that it sometimes causes problems with the CPU clock, even though they're supposed to be two separate things.  We'll see-

EDIT 01/05/16:

So far......with memory choice 1, which I got for $25 less than the current price.  Sweet!

X99S_2_zps1dzp9pbd.jpg

Still waiting on CPU cooler, later this week.

One of the last chores in any system change can be getting your existing keyboard and axies assignments mapped back to your controllers (joystick, throttle quadrant, pedals, etc.)

The main problem is your controllers may get totally different IDs from your previous setup.

The quick fix for this is a very handy free utility called PJP's JoyIDs.

It allows you to assign whatever ID controller number you want to a specific piece of hardware.

You can download it from here: http://pjp-s-joyids.software.informer.com/1.0/

It's a great timesaver!

Dudley

Too bad it's hosted on a junk website that tries to get your email addresses because "link not found, sign up to subscribe" etc., etc.

At that site it only shows 4 users and 0 comments.

Are you sure it's safe?  If you still have the source file (a zip file?) could you email it to me?