.....Installed Samsung 850 SSD 500g. it comes with clone software. tried it. crashed. tried loading from windows repair disk and system image. Repair disk does not like the SSD and the format of the image disk was not appropriate. Spent 2 days trying to get it to work. Finally saw video on another clone program Macrium reflect. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh4uRhWwZT0 .
Worked fine. I plugged my ssd into a secondary drive slot. cloned my HD. took over 3 hours , 250 gig of data and my HD is slow. Unplugged the HD. switched the SSD to my Boot disk slot and it brought up windows in half the time it takes my modem to boot up.....
So my new machine with the Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD is working extremely well. It made my previous machine with a Seagate 1 TB magnetic HDD seem slow, even though it's got plenty of good memory and a quad core running at 3.6 GHz. I've been thinking why not upgrade it to an SSD, and the standard SATA III ones are plenty fast, and not that expensive. I'm sold on Samsung, in part because of the Magician software that has optimization, benchmarking, and a "Rapid Mode ". I found the prices for the 850 Evo and the 850 Pro, and decided that since the Pro is supposed to have twice the life, and considering it wasn't terribly more expensive, I decided to go with the Pro. I bought two 512 GB drives; one to replace the magnetic drive in my old machine, and one to add to my new machine. 512 GB is more than adequate for me, I've used only less than half of that, and the price compared to the 1 GB capacity is much less.
I remembered what Butzzell had said about the Macrium Reflect software, and saw recommendations for the free version online too. I downloaded, installed, and even created a recovery drive with it. But when the new drives arrived, I decided why not try the included Samsung migration software, it really should work, right?
So I installed the Samsung software suite, which included the Data Migration program, and the Magician software. When I ran the migration software, it immediately found a newer version than what came on the disks with the new drives, so I upgraded to that before I started. I ran that newer version, and it seemed a LOT simpler than what I saw of the Macrium software, but at the same time, it didn't automatically create some kind of recovery disk or drive.....it just went straight into the migration operation.
In any case, in all the videos I looked at online, and in the instructions that came with the new drives, it showed using a USB to SATA III adapter (not included) to connect the new drive to the computer, for migration. I can't really understand why you need that instead of just connecting it directly internally; but I decided not to mess with fate and ordered one (it was about $12). Once the new drive was connected via that adapter to my USB 3.0, the migration software was all set to migrate from C: (old drive) to C: (Samsung SSD).
I had around 190 GB of data on a 1 TB drive (less than Butzzell, I don't do all that skinning or mission building, etc.). It took about 35 minutes. The transfer rate started at about 56 GB/s, and by the end was at nearly 100 GB/s.
Then I disconnected the new drive, shut down the computer, and installed the new drive using the exact same connections as the old drive. Booted up.....BOOM, she works!
(Not surprised? Get this: when I was installing the new 2.5" SSD into the 3.5" drive bay adapter, I accidentally DROPPED the entire thing onto a CEMENT FLOOR from about chest high! ARRRRGGHH!!!)
After it was up, I ran the Magician software and optimized the new drive for speed, then ran a benchmark test. The various read/write speeds were a little less than half of the bar graph scales shown.....disappointing but still far faster than before. I looked at the various parameters to see what I could see, and looked to enable the "Rapid Mode". However, of the various requirements that are needed to run it, I saw that the program did not recognize the operating system, which needed to be Win 7 or above. Well, since I had Win 10 it should have seen that no problem. When I had started the Magician program, I didn't notice it checking for a newer version, so I googled "newest version Samsung Magician" and found a version that was a lot newer than what had been installed from the install disk. After I had upgraded to this and run it, I could see that it now recognized Win 10 and that all buttons were enabled, so I turned on the "Rapid Mode", which required a reboot.
Booted up, restarted Samsung Magician, and re-ran the benchmark tests. BOOM! The speeds were now MAXED OUT on the scales shown, and the speed numbers were actually DOUBLE the bar graph limits. Wow, helluva improvement.
So my old machine got some serious speed improvement and it now boots up almost as fast as my new one. Later, I'll add the other new drive to my new machine and double the storage capacity, and probably use it for image backups, which should then go like blazes.