Hindsight Combat Evaluations in ROF

Hey all!

I’ve had an idea that’s been growing on me for a while now. Ever since I upgraded to more-powerful PC, I’ve been using NVIDIA ShadowPlay to record a lot of the dogfights I’ve been in. After the action, I often review these to see where I could improve – what worked and what didn’t. Anyway, I thought it would be nice for others to learn from my experiences as well, so I’ve turned a few of them into videos. They will be part of a new series on my YouTube channel called â€œHindsight Combat Evaluations.†I’ll release a new one each weekend for 4 weeks, starting now.

The purpose of these videos is to show the application (or lack thereof) of combat principles “in the heat of battle.†You’ll catch some of my awesome moments, some of my not-so-awesome moments, and everything in between as we take each video and break it down to learn from it. Also, I’d like to say that I am not the end-all be-all expert when it comes to my analysis of the videos. If you have input you would like to contribute, feel free to post below. I’m always ready to learn more. smile.png

Here is episode 1:

S! icon_e_salute.gif

- Hotlead

A couple of things not being a part of JG1 proper not sure if I'm Suppose to stay in the FIF section only.

Second I also Record dogfights at times to evaluate myself but I use the in game feature. I don't do it during organized events heard it can screw up ping rate.

Now no evaluation from me but (for the most part). I have A question or two. At around the 1:48 mark you reload the over wing gun and the screen freezes. Is that something on your end, or was it the recording from Shadow Play.

On the replay because of the freeze you lost him for a bit. That's not good. I just updated my video card for the same reason. Couldn't ID stuff from far away and I would get freezes on my Track IR at times. It was old.

I don't know what Shadow play is, I can guess what it is. If it caused the screen freeze I would use it sparingly. If it was just a play back glitch I would continue using it.

A couple of things not being a part of JG1 proper not sure if I'm Suppose to stay in the FIF section only.

Second I also Record dogfights at times to evaluate myself but I use the in game feature. I don't do it during organized events heard it can screw up ping rate.

Now no evaluation from me but (for the most part). I have A question or two. At around the 1:48 mark you reload the over wing gun and the screen freezes. Is that something on your end, or was it the recording from Shadow Play.

On the replay because of the freeze you lost him for a bit. That's not good. I just updated my video card for the same reason. Couldn't ID stuff from far away and I would get freezes on my Track IR at times. It was old.

I don't know what Shadow play is, I can guess what it is. If it caused the screen freeze I would use it sparingly. If it was just a play back glitch I would continue using it.

Hi Razwald!

The freeze would be a glitch from ShadowPlay. I've been using it for a year now, and never had it impact game performance. I love ShadowPlay because it's so simple: if something memorable happens, just hit a hotkey and your last 5 mins of flight are recorded in a few seconds. However, this does mean that there might be the occasional stutter in the playback file. ;)

S!

- Hotlead

Nah mate, if you can read it you're more than welcome to reply to it. That also goes for new topics, you're more than welcome to be part of the community.

The freezes only happen when you record passively. Actively recording I've never had it freeze on me.

This is a great video! I'm glad and thankful for you taking the time to produce it and share with everyone.

One recommendation I have is a bit more in depth debriefing where you point out exactly where you made your mistakes, why they were mistakes, and what you should have done instead.

For instance:

Granted I'm watching this on my cell phone, but it looked as though you could have gotten a little closer before opening fire. There's no need to spoil your element of surprise by firing too early. Get in close and make them count. Also, I like to dive in on unsuspecting prey as it allows you to close much faster and gives you an better angle to hit vital systems or the pilot. However you didn't start with a lot of altitude to begin with so this wasn't much of an option, but you also could have dove slightly below his tail into his blind spot. This would have greatly increased your close rate and possibly allowed you to stay undetected until you were in prime position. This would have slowed you down during your attack, allowing more time to fire as your rate of overshoot would be lessened. The trade off here is that you would have less kinetic energy for the ensuing fight. Still, the bounce was good.

The first big mistake was obviously split essing into the alb as he went under you (twice). You should have stayed high and tried to maintain your position directly above him through a high yo-yo. You got lucky that the Alb pilot stayed defensive and kept blowing his energy trying to evade attacks you weren't going to get in. If he had realized your mistake and gone offensive by using his superior turn rate he could have forced you to put your nose down and disengage. Which brings us to the last and most egregious error.

When you lost sight of your enemy you put your nose up to climb. This blew all of your airspeed in trade for very little altitude. You should have kept your nose down to extend away and climbed only when you knew you were safe. Even when you saw the Alb behind you you still kept your nose up and stayed a slow and easy target. The second you saw him behind you you should have hit the deck and ran like hell. Luckily you still managed to do this (better late than never) and survive.

Even if you don't produce videos it is still a good thing to record fights and go back to review them. I've often found myself disappointed for not seeing and taking advantage of openings or failing in ways I thought I knew better. It's an integral part of getting better and I'm glad that your sharing with everyone.

Looking forward to more!

S!

I love watching flight videos almost more than flying in the sim itself.  Thanks Hotlead, and keep 'em coming, all!

PS, that video was obviously made before you became an expert in the SE5a during FiF XXIII   :)   Admirable of you to post that one as opposed to all those other victorious ones   :lol:   S!

Thanks guys! :) Also, thank-you to Barton for his tactical input. I really appreciated it. :)

I love watching flight videos almost more than flying in the sim itself.  Thanks Hotlead, and keep 'em coming, all!

PS, that video was obviously made before you became an expert in the SE5a during FiF XXIII   :)   Admirable of you to post that one as opposed to all those other victorious ones   :lol:   S!

I hardly feel like an Se5a expert lol. I still have much to learn. ;) But thank you for the kind words, LR. :)

That was a good fight Hotlead! I felt that we were doing everything right (except my gunnery could have been better and I was doing only head on passes... still it kept him from turning on you, he had to address my pass each time). If not for the weak Dolphin wings, he would be done. (I can't recall what happened to him afterwards).

Salute!

That was a good fight! You guys did well. Vonrd should have waited a little longer to make his pass to avoid head ons to lessen the chances of collision and to get a better tracking shot.

HotLead, you gunnery was a little behind the DR1 until you got in close, but was good overall. When you dove in on the DR1 that last time, instead of pulling through the bottom you should have rolled back level and extended. This would have allowed you to extend away and rgain the altitude you lost in your overshoot. Even if your wings would have held, the maneuver you were pulling would have put you under the DR1 and close to him which is the last place you want to be.