TrackIR eyeglasses issue

Stuka

S!

Finally I found what happens with my crazy trackIR 4. My new eyeglasses. I have two. One for day by day (multifocal) and other one specially to fly (one focus). TrackIR´s camera is getting the brightness of my eyeglasses. I setted the light filter and IR brightness to the maximum but it still is getting eyeglasses brightness.

Well now I know what happens and now go ahead to find a solution.

Really, is very frustrating in the middle of combat your vision getting crazy. I lost a lot of combat by that.

If you have any idea how getting this solved please let me know.

I´ll back version 4 to try fix it.

Hi Hess,

Do you use the TrackClip Pro (which is a boom that hangs from your headset)?

Or do you use the TrackClip (which sits on a ball cap)?

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/accessories/

If you use the regular TrackClip (which sits on a hat), consider switching to the TrackClip Pro (which hangs from your headset).  Because the Pro uses Active LEDs, it may give you less of a problem with your prescription glasses.

The other thing you can try to do is go into the TrackIR 5 software (which I'm assuming you use despite having the TrackIR 4), and then attempting to adjust the sensitivity of the software.  There is a window that lets you see what the IR sensor is seeing.

Additionally, inside the software, make sure when using the TrackClip Pro (which hangs from the headset) to reduce the IR brightness to 0.  You can find this in TrackIR software > Camera > IR Brightness

This will switch off the IR-LEDs for illumination inside the camera.  The TrackClip Pro has it own LEDs, so there is no need to shine IR light on your head/glasses.

Let me know if any of this helps.

If you use the regular TrackClip (which sits on a hat), consider switching to the TrackClip Pro (which hangs from your headset).  Because the Pro uses Active LEDs, it may give you less of a problem with your prescription glasses.

This previously fixed my issues with reflection.

Additionally, inside the software, make sure when using the TrackClip Pro (which hangs from the headset) to reduce the IR brightness to 0.  You can find this in TrackIR software > Camera > IR Brightness

This will switch off the IR-LEDs for illumination inside the camera.  The TrackClip Pro has it own LEDs, so there is no need to shine IR light on your head/glasses..

I didn't know this, I'll have to remember it when I get home. 

Hi Hess,

Do you use the TrackClip Pro (which is a boom that hangs from your headset)?

Or do you use the TrackClip (which sits on a ball cap)?

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/accessories/

The other thing you can try to do is go into the TrackIR 5 software (which I'm assuming you use despite having the TrackIR 4), and then attempting to adjust the sensitivity of the software.  There is a window that lets you see what the IR sensor is seeing.

This will switch off the IR-LEDs for illumination inside the camera.  The TrackClip Pro has it own LEDs, so there is no need to shine IR light on your head/glasses.

Let me know if any of this helps.

Mine is Trackclip. I really is considering get Clip Pro. Thanks Klayber.

I use the trackclip but I have considered the Pro. Saw some reviews saying it was very fragile but others have said that issue is fixed. I have my environment set up so I don't get that many bugs but it still happens. May get the Pro just to increase the range of motion I have to detect.

I've had my Track Clip Pro for nearly 4 years now and it's been glued, taped, and rubber banded together and still works.  I've also heard they've improved the design, namely where the 90° angle rotates.  However, as long as my MacGyver skills hold up, I'll stick with my Frankenstein. 

Lots of good information here, thanks all.  I'd forgotten about the IR brightness and never really thought about the fact you only need them if you're using reflectors (hat).

When I first got TIR many years ago, I also bought the TrackClip Pro.  I don't know why, I guess I thought it would be better.  My experience with it was that sometimes my face would shade it when I turned my head in the direction that the mic boom was on, and my view would freeze for a second.  I think it only takes one of the Iights to be blocked for this to happen.  I think this is more likely to happen if you have a big screen.  I also preferred not having that extra wire that needs to be routed to a USB port for power.  I can see why people all have different preferences, since the environments that they play in are so varied.  Everybody needs to optimize their equipment for the situation that they're in.

I also wear glasses, and like Hess, have a pair that is a fixed magnification for flying instead of my progressive lenses that I wear the rest of the day.  My flying glasses are just cheap reading glasses that have no special coatings that I know of.  I don't know why but I've never had a problem with them reflecting IR back into the camera.  Maybe it's the angle the camera is aimed at?  I would think this might be more possible if your camera is directly in line with your eyeglasses. 

Luckily I've never had a problem with the hat clip.  My computer room is an ideal situation because it has no windows , and it has wall-mounted lights.  I've unscrewed the bulb on the one that's directly behind me.

I'm very lucky because I've never had any kind of failure ever on my TIR.  I've had a 4 and now a 5.  I hope your problems are solved soon, Hess!