FIF XXIV

S! All

Full server test this Saturday    14 May 2016.

We want to make sure everything performs well with a full server. Some planes will be limited due to game mechanics but most scouts and bombers will have extras. This is not dead is dead as we want to keep as many people on the server as possible.

Hi Chaps,

very good news, indeed. 

The new missions sound like great fun !

One question though, what is your thinking/argument behind the idea of not allowing the over wing Lewis on HD1 ? 

Considering the plane set I would reconsider it. Also I don't think we will fly with the reduced lethaly mod enabled ? or the reduced fire rate mod ? So the two Spandaus will fire like hell. 

S!

S!

The HD1 and HD2 are very fast and climb fast.  The 1 gun on the HD1 is fine.  All the other planes have 2 guns.  Think of the HD1 as the plane you use when you run out of the others.

No mods.  Makes everything simple. Plane performance is the same as New Wings War grounds. People are used to that and know what to expect.

S! All

Full server test this Saturday    14 May 2016.

We want to make sure everything performs well with a full server. Some planes will be limited due to game mechanics but most scouts and bombers will have extras. This is not dead is dead as we want to keep as many people on the server as possible.

What time are we thinking for the test? I will try and attend.

I don't understand the rational for the Entente scouts.  B)

They are generally two of  the least liked or used by the Entente pilots in the game and there is a reduced choice compared to the  three German scouts which are heavily favoured and used because of their superior flight, armament  and handling characteristics.

Sounds like more frustration than fun for the Entente which in turn may affect turnout.  :wacko:

S! Bandy.

The goal was to use the float planes. While the Felixstowe is considered a gun bus by most. It does not climb that well when loaded. It is used as a Recon and Arty spot. The Central scouts were picked to balance that. Alb D3s and Alb D5s , with Pfalz D3 as a back up if we have pilots that loose a lot of planes.

The real problem is the Central float plane. No bombs at all and it climbs like a turtle.  It is going to be very hard for Central to do use it as Arty spot and Espion mission.  The Entente have the N-28 , The HD1 and HD 2. The HD1 and D2 have been allowed to up gun to the 11 mm. There are also a limited supply of SPAD 180.  (Which I think were unintentionly left off the list) No extra gun for the SPAD. After the trench attack is done the Camels are free for anything they wish.

The Central never have much of a choice for planes. We just did late planes on the England map. If we went to early planes we would be doing N-17, Pups and tripes?  I admit the Brandenburg is a dog but against earlys, it still packs a punch.

What planes do you think would be a good match with the float planes?

Ok, admittedly the arty spot float planes are dogs etc.,and  we must? be blessed with a float scout plane?

But IMHO the rest of the Scouts are poor matchups. 

SE5's and Camels were also on the scene and imho be a fairer match against the current games albie scouts ,etc.

To whine at a deeper level here, methinks there is a reason that most all the squads in this game are Hun Squads and that's because the planes are mod'd that way.

The Axis planes are easier to fly and have more lethal armament. In my opinion those who generally fly entente (like me) don't fly your current selections for entente scouts too often and if at all possible, prefer the old standbys with 2 guns. 

It's kinda hard to get the  boys rallied around sucky planes;  they can tend to find other things to do and then generally fade away. 

This can also be the case after the early battles if the scout planes prove futile and frustrating against their opponents. <_<

In my experience in the tune up battle, our planes were inferior and as a result, we ran out early.  :rolleyes:

The Axis have, pretty well the games  best scouts for that time, give the entente that luxury as well.

I see Butzzell's point here -- considering just scouts vs scouts, yes, the German scouts are better than the Entente ones.  But in FiF, one side can shoot down all the enemy scouts they like, and still not win the tournament; it's only the completed missions that count.  In other words, the Germans have to shoot down Felixstowes and Breguets, both of which are tough targets, whereas the Entente has to shoot down DFWs and Brandenburgs, the first of which can be a moderately tough target (though not nearly as tough as a Breguet), and the second of which is much easier.  Looked at from the perspective of a scout vs 2-seater/bomber contest, it's not terribly unbalanced.

S!

Maus

Now that's scraping the bottom of the BS barrel :rolleyes:

Both sides admittedly have weak and strong 2 seaters to do bombing and arty.

I'm comparing scouts vs scouts, so you see MY point.  Butzz says they're equal.

And what does terribly unbalanced mean.  Either it is or it isn't. Your statement acknowledges that the planesets  ARE unbalanced.

So Maus , it appears you are agreeing with me! :P

Entente have Crappy Scouts that are rarely used if given a choice because they suck.

I'd take the weakest Hun scout over any of the allied scouts if given the choice and I think many entente pilots would too.

As for the Camel, I don't think they would survive their missions as the low AA seems to be set on ultra  high, <_<

Hi Bandy,

The plane-set is something that is still being worked on.  What is currently posted may not be what we finally use.  This was one of the reasons why we wanted a server test and a dry-run.  Since the main focus of FIF XXIV has been to both use the float planes and do something new, we're attempting to stay true to that within the current limitations of the game.

Something that should be considered in all FIF plane-set discussions is that there is no longer an Entente team or a Central team.  As Blue and Red, both teams will need to fly both sets of aircraft.  As a result, we're attempting to approach this issue as bias-free as possible.

If the current Entente scout aircraft were maintained just the way they are (Nieuport 28 / HD1 / HD2 / Spad 7 180 hp), what Central planes do you feel offer the best competition?

Another question for you - if we removed the Entente scout weapon mod restrictions, but left the Central weapon mods restrictions in place, would that do anything to address your concerns?

Thanks for your thoughts!

S! Bandy

The N-28 has been used against Albs on War Grounds for many months. It has been a good match. It is not a crappy plane. It is an unused plane because people want to fly their favorite.   The HD1 is perhaps another story. Some people actually want to fly the plane.

We try and use a variety of plane sets so that we do not get stagnant. We want to offer a different experience. Unfortunately there is not much choice in Central planes.

Does replacing the 10 of HD1 with Camels sound better? This would still leave 8 HD1.  And if we replace the HD1 with Camels do we need to replace some Pfalz D3 with a couple of Fokker Dr.1? "Willie, you and Stachel will fly the triplanes. Be e careful with them. They are likely to be the last we will get."

As to the front line trench attack, the normal trench line AAA has been moved to the Center of the Mud. It shoots at both sides and the trench attack points are far enough away so as not to activate the AAA. The original target was 2 machine guns, each in their own revetment and a pair of moving horse drawn wagons. While there are 2 Camels the mission needs to be successful by a single plane.  With only 4 bombs the machine gun positions proved a bit difficult. The target was changed to 1 machine gun and 3 wagons. The full circular revetment was changed to an open artillery style so that there could be some splash damage. The problem for the attackers is that you are low and slow over the trenches and an easy target. You can not just run for home because of the AAA between you and home. You have to climb up over enemy lines.  This is the same problem all bombers have when doing front line targets only the Camels are a bit closer to the front.

Now that's scraping the bottom of the BS barrel :rolleyes:

Both sides admittedly have weak and strong 2 seaters to do bombing and arty.

I'm comparing scouts vs scouts, so you see MY point.  Butzz says they're equal.

And what does terribly unbalanced mean.  Either it is or it isn't. Your statement acknowledges that the planesets  ARE unbalanced.

So Maus , it appears you are agreeing with me! :P

Not really.  Yes, I obviously did agree that the scouts aren't equal when simply considered against each other; my point was that this doesn't necessarily mean that the _tournament_ is unequal, when you consider the bombers and recon planes that these scouts have to shoot down in order to deny the enemy points.  (One-on-one, I'd rather fly an HD.2 against a Brandenburg than a Pfalz or Alb against a Breguet.)  No plane-set is going to be perfectly balanced, and in any case, as was pointed out above, the FiF practice of switching sides is intended to give each team a turn on each side.

I agree Mau, no planeset is perfectly balanced but IMO adding the Camels will make a more closely balanced mix. However, I don't see the bomber/arty plane disparity you recognize.

Buttz, do you think the Camels would outweigh the balance of scout selection in the ententes favour? Is that why you want Dr's in the mix now?

The old Camel's rep is a false and over-rated now and what was once a DR.1 equalizer is now out performed easily by the Dr1 and is at best equal to the albies and phalz3's, again IMO.

Can you give me any examples of weaker hun scouts for this era of the battle. Maybe drop Alby V's for Alby II's?

Other than that, I really can't dummy down the axis scouts by selecting weaker ones to the equivalent of that of the ententes because IMO none exist.

I understand the structure of teams and switching planesets in this format. My concern ,as expressed earlier, is to make a better battle with more sustained participation and perhaps growth.

The old Camel's rep is a false and over-rated now and what was once a DR.1 equalizer is now out performed easily by the Dr1 and is at best equal to the albies and phalz3's, again IMO.

Well, I_Got_Shot regularly whips my butt in his Camel when I'm flying DR1... 'course I kinda suck at flying the Dridekker   :lol:  :rolleyes:  :(

As I said before, I would allow for the HD1 and HD2 to use the second gun, HD1 is not an comfortable fighter to fly. Its ugly visibility is really a problem for the most guys. If playing without mods fire power really counts.

As for Camels, keep in mind that because of the bombs they can take they present some additional advantage as to bombing light tagets.

What are the plans now ? Only 2 Camels for whole mission ?

S!

S!

This is what I see

N-28  Very nice. almost same as SE5 but poor visibility   against Alb D.Va  Alb not as fast as N-28 but turns better. Very good match.

SPAD 7  faster than any other plane but limited by 1 gun.  It is better than any Central plane. It controls any fight.

HD2  Fast and turns good, twin 11 mm guns.   Good against Alb D.Va or any Central plane.

HD1  Fast, climbs good but poor visibility and only one 11 mm gun .  A match for Pflalz D3 and Alb D3.  All three of these plane types are secondary.

The main match up is Alb D.Va against N-28, HD2, SPAD7.  Looks like the Entente have a built in advantage. The Entente planes are faster and climb better.

The 2 Camels are for the trench attack. You need to use them on the trench attack. They are the only planes that will spawn the target. Use them early for other missions and if they are lost, you can not do the trench attack mission.

We always want a fair fight. That means an an equal chance to win if you fly your plane well and have good teamwork.

In FiF, the format is the same. If we flew in the same place with the same planes each time it would get very boring. The goal is to make it interesting by changing locations, missions and plane sets.

We have been discussing swapping out some of the HD1 for Camels. We have not decided.  

The Dry run tomorrow is with the original plane set.  Lets see how things go. 

As for mods, the HD2 has 2 guns and good visibility.  The only mod needed is twin guns for 2  seaters, Wing cut out for Camel and 11 mm guns for the HD1 and HD2. The N-28 does not need the 11 mm gun. The SPAD 7 does not need the over wing gun.