7 replies to this topic

#1 Luftritter

Luftritter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 07:00 PM

Recently I finished the last part of my computer upgrade project.  Having built the new box last spring, I still needed (or wanted) to upgrade my video capabilities.  I wanted to upgrade to an actual gaming monitor, one with higher refresh rates than 60 Hz, which is what my old 32" 1080p monitor would do.  I wanted to take advantage of the new G-Sync technology in the nVidia GPUs that syncs the GPU with the monitor, if they're both capable.  Lastly, I wanted higher resolution, and no downgrade in physical size, from my old 32" TV.

Over the months it's become apparent that ASUS has been making some really nice gaming monitors that have as much as 144 Hz refresh rates, and they're made specifically for gaming (the "ROG" series, "Republic of Gaming").  But it's been almost impossible to find anything bigger than 27" in that series, and I didn't want to reduce the size below what I had before.  A few months ago, they came out with a 34" curved IPS screen, capable of 100 Hz, which is a decent frame rate for gaming:  PG348Q  I did not fully understand until recently the data throughput needed is a function of both the resolution and the refresh rate combined, which is why is was so hard finding a monitor larger than 27".  This new monitor has higher resolution than what I had ("2K": 3440 x 1440), and also a better refresh rate, and G-Sync capable.  Of course it's monstrously expensive; but I realized that what I was asking is not going to be cheap for a very long time, if ever.  So I bit the bullet and ponied up for the $1,250.00 it costed, and also a new nVidia 1080 GPU by MSI to drive it.

Once I received everything, I installed the new GPU and connected it to the new monitor via the Display Port cable, which is a requirement to be able to use the G-Sync feature, and also for anything higher than 60 Hz.  (HDMI would not work, although it does have an input for it).

The new monitor would not work.  I could see the boot up screens, but once it tried to show the desktop, it was simply black.  After messing around I finally figured out that the longer Display Port cable I had bought that could reach to where my computer was positioned, simply had too much loss to support the data required, even at 60 Hz, let alone 100 Hz.  So I grabbed the 6 ft cable that had come with the monitor, and everything immediately started working.

That brought up a big problem for me.  I was going to have to get my computer box much closer to the new monitor, and re-cable everything I had in order to make this thing work reliably.  After sleeping on it, I realized that my corner desk had enough room directly behind the new monitor, and everything else would be able to connect directly to the computer without using any extension cables, as I had before, and that was a nice benefit.  Here is where the case ended up:

ce05288556.jpg

Here is the new monitor, in the place the old one used to be:

ce05b8dbfd.jpg

Then I got the bright idea to keep using my old 32", 1080p TV too, as a map display from my second machine, and a backup.  Smaller screens are kind of worthless for displaying maps, since all the map details are too small to really see well.  I thought hey, I could put this thing overhead!  But I would need a VESA mount for that so it could be at a comfortable viewing angle; so I ordered what looked like a good one, and it finally arrived a day or two ago, and I installed it today:

ce0584528a.jpg

It worked out well, here is what the entire rig looks like:

ce0554a2d2.jpg

Here's the view from the hot seat:

ce05f31059.jpg

The new monitor has a frame rate counter built into it, and with the resolution at 3440 x 1440, and G-Sync enabled, the GTX 1080 GPU runs RoF at 100 FPS, solid as a rock;  that reading never budges from 100, no matter what I do or set.  Gotta be happy with that!  Thumbs up to ASUS so far   :wub:

• Wolf, HotleadColdfeet and GenMarkof007 like this

"People who believe they are ignorant of nothing have neither looked for, nor stumbled upon, the boundary between what is known and unknown in the universe."  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

#2 Britchot

Britchot

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 3,586 posts
  • LocationLancaster, CA

Posted 04 November 2016 - 08:31 PM

You're about 1/2 way to a (much better) Predator/Reaper control shelter ;)

uas_15-110712-02.jpg
  • Luftritter and Wolf like this

Britchot_R_tiny.png?dl=0

Britchot_O_tiny.png?dl=0

Britchot_FS_tiny.png?dl=0

"Es ist noch ein Meister vom Himmel gefallen."

#3 Butzzell

Butzzell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 09:00 PM

wow

Sig.png

#4 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota, United States

Posted 05 November 2016 - 02:28 PM

Awesome! Love your setup!

"Flying fighter aircraft in a war zone is an experience of hours and hours of routine, punctuated by moments of stark terror." - Unknown
 fcpq25c.jpg

#5 Klaiber

Klaiber

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 8,815 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 03:23 PM

That's amazing!

I'm in the market for a new monitor myself.

Was thinking of the ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q.  Does anyone have this monitor?  Or something like it?

Klaiber_tiny_R.png?dl=0
Klaiber_tiny_O.png?dl=0
Klaiber_tiny_FS.png?dl=0

Hals - und Beinbruch!

#6 REDMAN

REDMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 05 November 2016 - 05:10 PM

I have it and love it.

#7 Luftritter

Luftritter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 05:17 PM

I'm in the market for a new monitor myself.

Was thinking of the ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q.  Does anyone have this monitor?  Or something like it?

I think Rotermann might have that one.  That's supposed to be a great monitor, probably a far better deal.  Honestly, I think my monitor and that one are no different in the vertical size dimension....this one is just wider.  Also I think it's a TN screen, as opposed to IPS;  TN has faster response times, no "backlight glow", and I think higher contrast ratio.  IPS is supposed to have better color and a better viewing angle range, both vertical and horizontal.  I think ASUS also makes, or is about to make, an IPS version of that called the PG279Q, if that's your preference.  I think for gaming, TN is more the standard; but nobody makes a 34" TN panel right now.  I think if I would have had a choice, I probably would have gone with a TN panel, everything else being the same.

If you read that link in the O.P., you'll learn a lot.

S!

"People who believe they are ignorant of nothing have neither looked for, nor stumbled upon, the boundary between what is known and unknown in the universe."  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

#8 Klaiber

Klaiber

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 8,815 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 07:21 PM

Thanks guys!

Klaiber_tiny_R.png?dl=0
Klaiber_tiny_O.png?dl=0
Klaiber_tiny_FS.png?dl=0

Hals - und Beinbruch!

0 user(s) are reading this topic