13 replies to this topic

#1 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 09:02 PM

Salute JG1!

When gathering matherials for thread under same title on 777 forums, I often come across facts that are interesting to fans of Jasta Boelcke or JG1, but too detailed for "general" WW1 aviation. I keep the copy of this thread on J2 forums to cover all the details like changes of leaders, bios of pilots most people never heard of etc, that would bore most people of 777 forums - and I have quite a lot on JG1 that's not suitable for that forum, too.

So, I propose a thread dedicated to history of JG1, and squadrons that made it, posted 100 years after it unfurled. Please get rid of if you don't like the idea :)

And, of course, please contibute! I never wanted to run such a thread by myself, let  alone three, more to initiate it and see it grow. I propose to keep stuff important to JG1 here and move stuff interesting to everyone to 777 forums.

Ekhm. 100 year ago, future JG1 founder,  Manfred von Richthoffen, started making name for himself...

Day after death of Stefan Kirmaier, MvR was top scoring pilot of Jasta 2, and one of three ten-victories aces competing for position of third best living German pilot. Next day, he moved firmly to third place with his 11th victory, after 15 victories Jewish-German pilot Wilhelm Frankl (of Jasta 4, so I will write of him more),and 12 victories Walter Höhndorf (who at this time was either in Jasta 1 or already in Jasta 4, but wasn't scoring anymore). More importantly, he gained recognition by shooting down the father of RFC fighter force. This was a stepping stone of MvRs career, which eventually led to him forming JG1.

To say that Hawker was a legend among RFC would be understatement. He left his footprint on many aspects of pilots craft; spin recovery techniques, design of service boots suitable for flying, design of gunsights and ammo drums - the man was very involved, dedicated, and succesful at improving the lot and the efficiency of RFC pilots. His aggressive doctrine, summarised in his "attack everything" order, wasn'texactly Dicta Boelcke, but he brought much needed attitude to the fledgeling RFC fighters.  He was given Victoria Cross for downing three enemy planes in one sortie, using unsynchronised gun shooting sideways at angle.

So, 100 years ago, Hawker went on patrol with Captain Andrews, who was one of two pilots who killed Kirmaier day ago. Hawker at the moment was a squadron CO, and officially not flying; he attached himself to the flights to work on leadership of his officers. Their patrol spotted flight of five Jasta 2 Albatrosen. They set off to climb for altitude, and in climb, engines of two wingmen  failed, forcing them to RTB. Andrews and Hawker dived on five Germans anyway, which avoided the attack and initiated a turn fight. Quickly, Andrews was hit in the engine and had to glide for home, while Harker went for Albatros piloted by Manfred von Richthofen. The rest is history.

The Englishman tried to catch me up in the rear while I tried to get behind him. So we circled round and round like madmen after one another at an altitude of about 10,000 feet. 
First we circled twenty times to the left, and then thirty times to the right. Each tried to get behind and above the other. Soon I discovered that I was not meeting a beginner. He had not the slightest intention of breaking off the fight. He was traveling in a machine which turned beautifully. However, my own was better at rising than his, and I succeeded at last in getting above and beyond my English waltzing partner.

When we had got down to about 6,000 feet without having achieved anything in particular, my opponent ought to have discovered that it was time for him to take his leave. The wind was favorable to me for it drove us more and more towards the German position. At last we were above Bapaume, about half a mile behind the German front. The impertinent fellow was full of cheek and when we had got down to about 3,000 feet he merrily waved to me as if he would say, "Well, how do you do?"

The circles which we made around one another were so narrow that their diameter was probably no more than 250 or 300 feet. I had time to take a good look at my opponent. I looked down into his carriage and could see every movemeof his head. If he had not had his cap on I would have noticed what kind of a face he was making.

My Englishman was a good sportsman, but by and by the thing became a little too hot for him. He had to decide whether he would land on German ground or whether he would fly back to the English lines. Of course he tried the latter, after having endeavored in vain to escape me by loopings and such like tricks. At that time his first bullets were flying around me, for hitherto neither of us had been able to do any shooting. 

When he had come down to about three hundred feet he tried to escape by flying in a zig-zag course during which, as is well known, it is difficult for an observer to shoot. That was my most favorable moment. I followed him at an altitude of from two hun-
dred and fifty feet to one hundred and fifty feet, firing all the time. The Englishman could not help falling. But the jamming of my gun nearly robbed me of my success.

My opponent fell, shot through the head, one hundred and fifty feet behind our line. His machine gun was dug out of the ground and it ornaments the entrance of my dwelling.

Without a flying leader (Jasta 2 was led by its not-flying adjutant, Karl Bodenchatz, who was also JG1 adjutant through its existence so we'll hear more of him), the strong-willed, ten-victories MvR was likely best choice to lead patrols in the air. Bagging Hawker must have only helped other pilots look up to him. In next month, Leutnant von Richthofen was turning from one of Bloelckes students then one of best wingmen in the Staffel, into independent leader capable of taking over Jasta 11.

• Hess and Luftritter like this

------------------------------------------------------

...where is this friggin Trupabow!?

#2 Klaiber

Klaiber

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 8,485 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 09:48 PM

Hi Trupabow,

This is a great idea!  Thanks so much for starting it here!

I'll pin this topic, so it's easily found.

And I'll try and contribute when I can. :)

Klaiber_tiny_R.png?dl=0
Klaiber_tiny_O.png?dl=0
Klaiber_tiny_FS.png?dl=0

Hals - und Beinbruch!

#3 Barton

Barton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 11:10 PM

Great thread. Looking foreward to making contributions as well!

#4 Luftritter

Luftritter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 03:12 PM

I see I've created some history here :)

Let everybody know I coined this phrase :D

A respectful S! to the gentleman who had made himself such a nuisance to our team!
  • J2_Trupobaw likes this

#5 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 09:36 AM

And S! to you, Luftritter!

100 years ago the future Jasta 10 leader, Werner Voss, scored his first victory while flying with Jasta 2. His victim was the notorious Captain G. A Parker, the BE2 pilot that 12 days earlier forced another Jasta 2 pilot to land behind enemy lines and has his Albatros captured intact. CaptainParker was KIA.

Voss scored his second victory, an F.E.2, the very same day.

• Hess likes this

#6 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 11:14 AM

100 years ago, two legends met. Manfred von Richthofen claimed his 15th victory, a D.H.2. D.H.2 fell behind Entetne lines, well visible to Ground observers, so he had no problem finding a witness.
This victory made MvR one of two best scoring living German fighter pilots.

The D.H.2 was not, in fact, shot down. It was piloted by none other that James McCudden. The future British ace saved himself after his gun jammed by diving for friendly lines, then going into a spin - just like MvR and German ground troops, his comrades saw him go down. In fact he recovered the plane over the deck, made sure MvR is climbing back to his flight, and returned home where he was already declared MIA.
  • Barton, Hess and Snaggle like this

#7 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:29 PM

On 4th january 1917, Leutnant Manfred von Richthofen scored his 16th victory, a Sopwith Pup from No.8 naval squadron. This victory made him best living German ace, and earned him Pour le Merite.

It was also his last victory with Jasta Boelcke,

On 7th January, first Albatros D.IIIs arrived at Jasta Boelcke, one of if not the first deployment of the type. 

• Klaiber and Britchot like this

#8 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:43 AM

15th January 1917 Leutnant Manfred von Richthofen was ordered to take command of Jasta 11. It was by that time a demoralised unit, with no victories after 4 months of service despite being based in area of heavy air fighting, led by apparently inept Oblt. Rudolf Emil Lang and crewed by unheard-of pilots such as Krefft, Allmenroder or Kurt Wolff. 

It's worth noticing that MvR was still a Leutnant (2nd Lt) at this time; he will be a Rittermaister (Captain) after Bloody April, earning two promotions over 4 months. I have no idea when he was promted to Oberleutnant; if anyone can shed a light here, please do.

• Luftritter, GenMarkof007 and Rotermann like this

#9 Luftritter

Luftritter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 03:06 PM

....I have no idea when he was promted to Oberleutnant; if anyone can shed a light here, please do.

Seems to be Thursday, 22 March 1917:

Frontflieger

März 1917

"Beförderung zum Oberleutnant

• 22. März, Donnerstag"

Rittmeister (Hauptmann) was on Saturday, April 7.

• J2_Trupobaw likes this

#10 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:51 PM

According to MvRs autobiography (and one bio of his I have), 16th January was the day the German Emperor bestowed on him order Pour le Merite. Other sources say 12th January. Perhaps he changed facts in his biography for dramatic effect, or after decision was made on 12th it took 4 days for news to reach him?

#11 Luftritter

Luftritter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:10 PM

From what I've read, there may be some discrepancy between when the order was received, and when it was effective.  A given source, even an autobiography, might not differentiate between the two.

#12 Barton

Barton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:28 PM

The 12th is likely when he was awarded the Pour le Merite but the 16th was when he recieved it.  Consistent with what I've experienced with awards in the military even now.

#13 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:49 AM

100 years ago, Manfred von Richthofen scored first confirmed victory for Jasta 11, an F.E.8.

• Klaiber, Hess and GenMarkof007 like this

#14 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:00 AM

100 years ago (24th), Manfred von Richthofen scored another victory, forcing to land an  F.E2.b. When he descended to check on his victim, he was jumped by another British plane and, while evading, lower wing of his Albatros D.III broke. MvR managed to glide to safety and crash land.

It occurred to me to have my crate painted all over in staring red. The result was that everyone got to know my red bird. My opponents also seemed to have heard of the color transformation.

During a fight on quite a different section of the Front I had the good fortune to shoot into a Vickers' two-seater which peacefully photographed the German artillery position. My friend, the photographer, had not the time to defend himself. He had to make haste to get down upon firm ground for his machine began to give suspicious indications of fire. When we airmen notice that phenomenon in an enemy plane, we say: "He stinks!" As it turned out it was really so. When the machine was coming to earth it burst into flames.

I felt some human pity for my opponent and had resolved not to cause him to fall down but merely to compel him to land. I did so particularly because I had the impression that my opponent was wounded for he did not fire a single shot.

When I had got down to an altitude of about fifteen hundred feet engine trouble (sic!) compelled me to land without making any curves. The result was very comical. My enemy with his burning machine landed smoothly while I, his victor, came down next to him in the barbed wire of our trenches and my machine overturned.

The two Englishmen who were not a little surprised at my collapse, greeted me like sportsmen. As mentioned before, they had not fired a shot and they could not understand why I had landed so clumsily. They were the first two Englishmen whom I had brought down alive. Consequently, it gave me particular pleasure to talk to them. I asked them whether they had previously seen my machine in the air, and one of them replied, "Oh, yes. I know your machine very well. We call it 'Le Petit Rouge'."

• Britchot likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users