How Do I... Add Off-Map Airfields to Existing DCG Maps and Campaigns?

Treetop64

Hello.

Asked this in the Lowengrin.com Chatbox as well, but figured it was probably more appropriate to ask here instead, and registered in the forums.

So, how does one actually add off-map airfields to, say, the maps included in the "German Pilot in Eastern Europe" DCG campaigns? I'd like to use off-map airfields for long range aircraft (He-111, DB-3, PE-8, etc.) and not restrict these types of aircraft to the airfields that are on the map. I've read Tailspin's document but I'm still a bit confused on adding an "Off-Map" airfield. The way I understand the document, all I have to do is simply go into the allcampaigns.dcg file and edit the DeBase= and RuBase= lines and input "Off-Map_Airfield" into those lines for the maps that I want off-map airfields used? Is it that simple? (Hope so... Mission building isn't [yet] my strong suit.).

Also, pending whether or not a new version of DCG will come out that includes the new planes included in the recently released v4.11 for IL-2 1946, how do you add aircraft types to be used in DCG. I've studied the payloads.dcg and class.dcg files in the Data folder and think I understand what the columns represent in the former example, but am clueless about the group of information in the third column in the class.dcg file (e.g. for the A_20C line - us 1 4 1 194201 194402 A_20G).

Thanks! :)

I'm pretty sure the full information regarding the class.dcg file is available in Tailspin's document. Check it out and if you have any more questions, let me know.

But the 3rd column is nationality (in = Imperial Japanese Navy, us = USAAF, etc).

The 4th column is the "side" (1 = allied, 2 = axis).

The 5th column is plane "type" (1 = fighter, 2 = bomber, etc...)

The 6th column is whether the plane can be flown by a human (1 = yes, 2 = no).

Offline airfields are simple. You need to enter the name of the airfield in the offmap.dcg file. Otherwise you create it like any other airfield (it must have coordinates in the xxx.rds file, for example). Just don't give it the same name as some other on map airfield that's in another campaign or else bad things will happen to the on map one.

Thanks for the reply. I hope I'm not being too bothersome about this, but though I've been using DCG for years, I'm completely new at making these kind of changes beyond the DCG Interface and going into the files themselves.

Got the Hs-123s working in DCG now. It was a bit more work than I anticipated, and getting the FB plane codes right took a little guesswork (apparently, there are two different FB plane codes for each aircraft...? :/). Working on the TBD...

Still having some trouble with the offmap airfields. Tried using the coordinates and waypoints for Rabaul/Rabaul_Airfield and Townsville/Townsville_Airfield in the newguinea.rds file. After copying and pasting them into the Riga.rds file I renamed them [Leningrad_Airfield to Leningrad] and [EastPrussia_Airfield to EastPrussia], respectively. Also entered in all four new locations into the offmap.dcg file.

Then I made these changes in [Riga41] in the allcampaigns.dcg file:

[Riga41]

Campaign=Grand_Campaign

Map=Riga

Date=01/03/1940 <---- Just wanted to start at a earlier date. :)

Attacker=Blue

Front=Tilsit_Bridge346

DeHome=Memel

RuHome=Riga_Bridge399

DeBase=Memel_Airfield

RuBase=Leningrad_Airfield <---- Changed from Riga_Airfield

Locale1=Memel_Factory_District

Locale2=Saugos_Bridge123

Locale3=Gross-Skaisgiren_Airstrip

Locale4=Tilsit_Airfield

Locale5=Kuckerneese_Bridge116

Locale6=Cranz

Locale7=Cranz_Airfield

Locale8=EastPrussia_Airfield <---- Added New Locale

Started a new campaign and noticed that on the briefing map, there was a second front marker in the extreme lower left of the map as though the Russians had possession of the EastPrussia Airfield, though on the DCG interface I could still place German aircraft in EastPrussia. However, the distance of the EastPrussian airfield from the front was only 97 kilometers (the front was the default Tilsit Bridge front). Once in mission and flying over Cranz Airfield, I saw explosions from a battle just southwest of the Cranz Airfield, about where the new front marker was.

Nothing looked different in the northeast corner of the briefing map, and I could place Russian Aircraft in the Leningrad Airfield on the DCG interface. The distance to the front was an acceptable 300 kilometers, though I would like a bit more distance, like 350 or 400 (if necessary).

What created the new front and how do I eliminate it from the map (no fighting in East Prussia to begin with)?

Also, if I'm making more work out of this than is necessary please let me know.

Thanks again! :)

Ah! That fixed it. Thanks! :)

You know, after messing about in the guts of this, I'm now beginning to understand how interesting modifying campaigns is. Hell, with more work and practice I might even start creating new campaigns...

We'll see.

Thanks for your help and continued support of this gem!

• 11 years later...
On 1/19/2012 at 6:55 AM, Lowengrin said:

Offline airfields are simple. You need to enter the name of the airfield in the offmap.dcg file. Otherwise you create it like any other airfield (it must have coordinates in the xxx.rds file, for example). Just don't give it the same name as some other on map airfield that's in another campaign or else bad things will happen to the on map one.

Sorry to revamp an old tread....

I need to add some offmap airfields in a campaign I'm in process to finish....all other locations are ready but I discover that some Squadrons involved were based in airfileds outside the map boundaris....

I have read a lot of time the Tailspin and Lonestar guide....take a look at the DCG files....and search here and in other site about....

If I understand right , I have:

1) To add only the airfields names in offmap.dcg....like this:

Fontanarossa_airfield

Sciacca_airfield

Bocca_di_Falco_airfield

2) in .rds I have to set routes this way:

[Catania to Fontanarossa_airfield]

[Sciacca to Sciacc_airfield]

[Palermo to Bocca_di_Falco_airfield]

3) in allcampaigns.dcg add all those new locations as locale

LocaleX= Catania

LocaleY= Fonatanarossa_airfield

LocaleZ= Sciacca

and so on....

Is this correct?

I have the doubt to add BOTH (names in offmap.dcg and .rds) or the offmap airfields can be listed only in offmap.dcg (and DCG 'll build flights from them by itself)?

This is because the word OTHERWISE in my language mean an option (I can add them only in offmap.dcg or only building them in .rds)

Thanks in advance for your help!