10 replies to this topic

#1 Luftritter

Luftritter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:20 PM

For organizational purposes, post 'em here!
  • Klaiber likes this

"People who believe they are ignorant of nothing have neither looked for, nor stumbled upon, the boundary between what is known and unknown in the universe."  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

#2 Luftritter

Luftritter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:35 PM

Luftritter FiF 2017 Spring Phase B4:

On backfield defense, Halberstadt D.IIs vs. Nieuport 17s (French). Hotlead and BH_Loopy as wing men.

• Klaiber, Hess and HotleadColdfeet like this

"People who believe they are ignorant of nothing have neither looked for, nor stumbled upon, the boundary between what is known and unknown in the universe."  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

#3 Luftritter

Luftritter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:44 PM

Luftritter FiF 2017 Winter Phase B3:

Chasing down a well flown Brisfit on our side of the lines with a Fokker D.VIII.

#4 Luftritter

Luftritter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:49 PM

Luftritter FiF 2017 Winter Phase B1:

Backfield defense, me in a Fokker Dr.1, and Fokker D.VIIs vs. SE.5as and Breguet Br.14.  Hotlead and BH_Razwald are in the D.VIIs. 

#5 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota, United States

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:19 PM

Good memories! Thanks for sharing! 

I really liked the way you rode those 2 seaters down in the 2nd and 3rd videos. Bringing them down without sustaining damage from the rear gunner is almost like an art form...it ain't easy! You did an awesome job!!!

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel

"Flying fighter aircraft in a war zone is an experience of hours and hours of routine, punctuated by moments of stark terror." - Unknown
 fcpq25c.jpg

#6 Luftritter

Luftritter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:39 AM

....I really liked the way you rode those 2 seaters down in the 2nd and 3rd videos. Bringing them down without sustaining damage from the rear gunner is almost like an art form...it ain't easy!....

There's a lesson to be learned from those. In both of those cases the enemy pilots were outstanding, and they attempted to fly their fast 2-seaters as scouts. If they had initiated a tail chase, there's a strong possibility in both cases they might have escaped. Of course nobody knows the entire situation when they pick their course of action... like I was very low on fuel in the D.VIII and could not have afforded to chase any further. And can a Breguet outrun a standard D.VII? Maybe. In any case, hindsight is 20/20. One thing I do know for sure is that if you had been the 2-seater pilot and did your thing in the back seat the way you do, I definitely would have sustained damage and would have had to break off to survive.

#7 Luftritter

Luftritter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 11:49 AM

Here's a video demonstrating how to adjust one aspect of an N28's response curve, and the effect it has on the aircraft's flight characteristics, as shown in a quick mission fight against 2 Alb D.Vas.  The Albs were set on "veteran" skill level, carrying 60% fuel, full ammo load.  My N28's fuel load accidentally defaulted to 100% because of how the mission started.

Hopefully somebody will learn something from this, or have questions to ask.  If people are interested, I can make another video that demonstrates response curve adjustments more completely; but for now, enjoy!

• Klaiber likes this

#8 Klaiber

Klaiber

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 02:11 AM

Great video, Luft!  Response curves are something I never really screwed around with, mostly because I was always a bit intimidated by them.  When I get back to flying ROF, I'll definitely give them a look.

• Luftritter likes this
Klaiber_tiny_R.png?dl=0
Klaiber_tiny_O.png?dl=0
Klaiber_tiny_FS.png?dl=0

Hals - und Beinbruch!

#9 Razwald

Razwald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 02:23 AM

There's a lesson to be learned from those. In both of those cases the enemy pilots were outstanding, and they attempted to fly their fast 2-seaters as scouts. If they had initiated a tail chase, there's a strong possibility in both cases they might have escaped. Of course nobody knows the entire situation when they pick their course of action... like I was very low on fuel in the D.VIII and could not have afforded to chase any further. And can a Breguet outrun a standard D.VII? Maybe. In any case, hindsight is 20/20. One thing I do know for sure is that if you had been the 2-seater pilot and did your thing in the back seat the way you do, I definitely would have sustained damage and would have had to break off to survive.

I remember the third video. We pushed the Breguet off the map towards the East knowing he had to turn west eventually.

• Luftritter likes this

#10 Razwald

Razwald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 03:00 AM

I remember the third video. We pushed the Breguet off the map towards the East knowing he had to turn west eventually.

Thought of this later.

"Fight the enemy where they are not" Sun Tzu. He wasn't on the map  :)

#11 Luftritter

Luftritter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 12:26 PM

Great video, Luft! Response curves are something I never really screwed around with, mostly because I was always a bit intimidated by them. When I get back to flying ROF, I'll definitely give them a look.

That's surprising to hear! I can't imagine flying without them. Of course there are certain planes, your Albs, D.VIIs, SPADs, etc., that are pretty tame by themselves; but others like the Dr.1 in particular fight every move you make.

The need for response curves is born of 2 problems in a computer flight sim: one is the fact that our game controller is spring centered, while the stick in the real plane is not. The second, and main reason, is that our game controller is far shorter than the stick in the real plane, making it far more sensitive than the real plane would have been. Add to that the lack of feedback that is felt on the controls in the real plane, that force acting against the stick that is generated by the wind pushing against the control surfaces which varies with speed, all combine to make things more difficult than they should be.

Response curves are simply a means to recover some of the correct behavior of the real aircraft. It could be argued that not using them actually creates a situation that is less realistic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users