56 replies to this topic

#41 Luftritter

Luftritter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:50 PM

Another area that might be just as important!

I got to thinking about the whole controller ID thing after talking with Dudley and others about that.  I knew that CH Products have their own heading in the Device manager, and I was poking around there to see if there was a setting in there concerning IDs.  Guess what....some of the CH devices have the same power setting as the USB devices!  So it might be just as important to turn those off, also:

500adb70ad.jpeg

Who knows, maybe it will help Hotlead.  Can't see any harm in turning the setting off there, too!

S!

• HotleadColdfeet likes this

"People who believe they are ignorant of nothing have neither looked for, nor stumbled upon, the boundary between what is known and unknown in the universe."  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

#42 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 978 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota, United States

Posted 09 January 2018 - 06:11 PM

That could be it! I’ll do it when I get home! :D

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel

"Flying fighter aircraft in a war zone is an experience of hours and hours of routine, punctuated by moments of stark terror." - Unknown
 XZjh8rJ.jpg

#43 Klaiber

Klaiber

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 9,937 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 06:57 PM

Hotlead, if you're flying with CH and have trouble with the Control Manager, here is what I've been doing:

http://forum.jg1.org...ate/#entry34105

It still has issues every once in a while, but these steps have drastically reduced the issues.
Klaiber_tiny_R.png?dl=0
Klaiber_tiny_O.png?dl=0
Klaiber_tiny_FS.png?dl=0

Hals - und Beinbruch!

#44 Luftritter

Luftritter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:50 PM

Yet another place to change settings!

While watching your livestream and seeing Kanonen's chat to you, the way he worded his advice made me remember that there are Power setting options in their own group, in the Control Panel.  I checked there under Advanced settings and found this, which also pertains to USB:

52ad69b9cb.jpeg

Maybe this is the correct place! Keep trying!

"People who believe they are ignorant of nothing have neither looked for, nor stumbled upon, the boundary between what is known and unknown in the universe."  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

#45 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:23 AM

Hey guys! Had a lot of fun tonight! Here is tonight's archived livestream...in 3 parts. Yeah. Joystick still disconnecting. I will continue to work on fixing it! Thanks to all who have suggested things and tried to help! I haven't had the time to try Klai's suggestion yet, but that's next on my list. I also found this:

Maybe worth a shot? I just don't know too much about the registry.

Anyway, here is this evening's livestream(s):

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

As most of you know, JG1_Barton is hanging up his virtual pilot's goggles soon due to real life concerns. I hope to be able to squeeze in a flight with him this Saturday, but in case I don't see him again, here's a heartfelt salute!!! One of the best fighter pilots I've had the honor to fly with/learn from. I'm gonna miss you man!

• Hess likes this

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel

"Flying fighter aircraft in a war zone is an experience of hours and hours of routine, punctuated by moments of stark terror." - Unknown
 XZjh8rJ.jpg

#46 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 04:00 AM

Hey guys! Had a great time flying this evening at the Thursday night fly-in! Here is the archived livestream:

PS: No controller issues this evening! :D  :D  :D

XZjh8rJ.jpg

#47 Luftritter

Luftritter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 06:22 PM

....PS: No controller issues this evening! :D  :D  :D

Have you had any issues since getting rid of your old pedals?  It's very possible they were causing all the trouble.  A USB device with an intermittent short circuit can cause the +5 volt supply to be unstable when it's happening, or even cause the USB controller it's using to possibly lock up.  It can take a while for an intermittent failure to develop into a total failure.  This kind of thing is always suspect when you're having system-wide computer troubles that are hard to isolate.  The procedure generally followed is to disconnect one device at a time and try things out again for a while, until the problem device is found.  It doesn't have to be an external device...sometimes a bad drive or other plug-in device inside the computer can be the cause.

Perhaps that was always your problem?

• Butzzell and HotleadColdfeet like this

#48 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 05:29 AM

Have you had any issues since getting rid of your old pedals?  It's very possible they were causing all the trouble.  A USB device with an intermittent short circuit can cause the +5 volt supply to be unstable when it's happening, or even cause the USB controller it's using to possibly lock up.  It can take a while for an intermittent failure to develop into a total failure.  This kind of thing is always suspect when you're having system-wide computer troubles that are hard to isolate.  The procedure generally followed is to disconnect one device at a time and try things out again for a while, until the problem device is found.  It doesn't have to be an external device...sometimes a bad drive or other plug-in device inside the computer can be the cause.

Perhaps that was always your problem?

That could very well be it. 

Granted, when I first hooked up the spare pedals Raz sent me, I still got occasional disconnects. Also, the 2 USB 3.0 ports in the back of the PC appeared to be dead. However, when I went into the Device Manager, right clicked on my PC, and selected "Scan for hardware changes," the ports went back online again. An online article I read suggested that if some devices were suddenly disconnected from a USB port, it could cause the port to act "dead" when it only needed to be reconfigured. Everything seems to work fine now. Since I scanned for hardware changes, I have not had a single disconnect. 

We'll see if my luck holds. I am very hopeful! :)

XZjh8rJ.jpg

#49 Luftritter

Luftritter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 04:02 PM

That's encouraging, but I'm afraid it's still possible that you could have problems again.  When a device fails (inside your pedals), most often it will draw far too much current for a short amount of time (short), until it burns out, and then "opens" (like it's not connected anymore, and draws zero current).  This could damage the source of the power (your motherboard). The port, or group of ports that the pedals were connected to before, could become unreliable, or eventually fail, causing you more heartburn.  I always tell people "it's not going to heal itself"....if there's any problem, it's only going to get worse.

IF.

You should have a look at your motherboard manual that pertains to USB ports and controllers.  Many times it will let you know which ports are on which controllers (USB0, USB1, USB2, USB3 on USB 2.0 VIA controller, etc.)  There will be a diagram showing which ports are which.  If you have a problem again, try disconnecting everything that is connected to the group of ports in question.  For one thing, although you should be able to use your USB 3.0 ports for your USB 2.0 devices (game controllers), you certainly don't need to, since all game controllers are USB 2.0, and so you gain nothing by connecting them to USB 3.0.  It will just work at USB 2.0 speeds.  Game controllers just don't pass very much data, so it would be a waste to make them a USB 3.0 or 3.1 interface.

Hopefully you'll have enough other ports to connect to; if not, you can add an additional two USB 2.0 ports with an add-on card, or use a powered hub.  You can stay in business.

I hope you won't have to deal with that situation, but if you do, you'll have some idea of what to try.

S!

#50 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 05:29 AM

Flight sim blogger ShamrockOneFive wrote a really nice article promoting our event. Check it out! :D
https://stormbirds.b...flight-battles/
  • Klaiber, Hess, Lipfert and 1 other like this

XZjh8rJ.jpg

#51 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 04:10 AM

Lots of action on Cuban's server this evening! Here is the archived livestream: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/227128859

• Klaiber and Luftritter like this

XZjh8rJ.jpg

#52 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:08 AM

Hey guys! Had a good time as always on Wargrounds this evening! Here is the archived livestream:

Had a near-death experience with a certain Dolphin pilot near the end of the stream. Salute to the pilot - he demonstrated amazing proficiency in the ensuing fracas!

XZjh8rJ.jpg

#53 Sturtz

Sturtz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationEl Reno Oklahoma

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:53 AM

Thanks to everyone for letting me tag along tonight. Of those I've flown with from JG1 so far,, I must say,,,  you guys are professional and helpful. 

Watching out for each other's six at all times.  Very impressive !!!

Salute,,,

Sturtz

• Klaiber, Lipfert and HotleadColdfeet like this

#54 Jocassee

Jocassee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 16 February 2018 - 02:06 PM

Had a great time last night. I'm sitting at work banging stuff out while listening to the Twitch. I'm definitely looking forward to brushing up on my Scout flying and team flying skills. One major takeaway at Wargrounds is we really need to camp the targets close. I've made that mistake before and had to relearn it last night. You really need to be right on top of the target to prevent low level sneak attacks. 

• Luftritter and HotleadColdfeet like this
“Show me a hero and I'll show you a bum.” ~Pappy Boyington

#55 Luftritter

Luftritter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 08:07 PM

.... One major takeaway at Wargrounds is we really need to camp the targets close. I've made that mistake before and had to relearn it last night. You really need to be right on top of the target to prevent low level sneak attacks. 

This!

#56 Sturtz

Sturtz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationEl Reno Oklahoma

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:41 PM

One of the guys asked me last night on TS before we flew "How long have you been flying online sims ?" And   "How long have you flown ROF?" That was the main question. I didn't elaborate too long as I need to listen more and talk less at this juncture .   But no matter how long you've flown combat sims and/or been a real pilot at one time. Every new sim has it's learning curve. And ROF certainly does. I've only flown ROF for a month now and see where I'm lacking and where I'm simply rusty.

Aircraft recognition (partly due to my TIR not working)  and navigational awareness are two outstanding factors I will be working hard to improve. Lucky for me I contacted JG1_Hotlead the day I downloaded the game and he has gone out of his way to help scrub the rust off  and teach me tons of info I would have had to figure out on my own.

Cutting this a bit shorter .. (I'm sure that your glad of that. LOL)   I just wanted those I've flown with so far in JG1 to know I appreciate the warm welcome in the cold skies.

I'm hoping to learn all your names and put them with the voices .

Prost

Sturtz

• Klaiber, Luftritter, HotleadColdfeet and 1 other like this

#57 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:15 AM

Salute all! Had a lot of action on Cuban's server tonight! Here is the archived livestream:

XZjh8rJ.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users