To AMD or not to AMD.

jim

If you were to run COD on an AMD processor which would it be. I know what the box says, but really, what would you run COD on (AMD) to enable all it's eye candy. The vid card being an ATI 5000 series card (would have to look at it to remember where in the series it falls). I'm thinking about buying a bare bones kit from Tiger Direct and cannabilizing my Dell of it's sound and video and possibly power unit. So memory type is also open for debate, thanks.

Tried to edit the above but I find it hard to place the cursor in the subject body box.

So to edit: this discussion is based solely on the cost being an issue for me when it comes to purchase. So whichever AMD processor you think will do the game (and ROF, which seems to require more resources than COD) justice, lay it on me. Thanks.

Otto,

About the only AMD chip I can recommend is the following; AMD Phenom II X4 975 Black Edition Deneb 3.6GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDZ975FBGMBOX

This is a quad core, they do offer a six core but the performance improvement would be zero. AMD has released the 8 core chips; the FX series to very poor reviews and many problems.

I think that if you pair the Phenom II with a capable mother board and the most expensive ram laden video card within your budget restraints you will be able to run CoD very nicely as long as you do not push the screen resolution to the utmost limit.

IL-2 and RoF will run just happily with the same hardware. Hope this helps happy building!

Thanks gents,

I want to push the res. to the limits, been satisfied with "almost there" for too many years, I'd like to see one sim in all it's glory just once before I die. Pairing the AMD with an expensive vid. card/mobo might not save me any money in the long run. I'm looking to save in the video department by recycling my ATI 1 gig 5000 series card. That, and I'm looking at using a tiger direct's barebones system which means I get what I get as far as the mobo is concerned.

Good info, maybe I'll save the extra for the I-7 and be safe. The way things are going by the time I'm ready they should be dirt cheap. :)