I see....the file names were different, so I didn't know they were associated with each other.
.dds files are the same file type as in RoF, right?
For BoX, CloD (and in the future, FC?) they don't release skin packs periodically? How do they handle that?
Yep... dds files same as ROF but there will no longer (for the near future at least) be official skin packs.
- Pro: Your skins are no longer held hostage until given the blessing by the devs and hard coded into the game.
- Con: Erm... kinda the same... any Bozo can do any kind of skin... perhaps even "invisible" skins along with Pink Hello Kitty skins.
- Pro: You don't see any of the above unless you insert the .dds file into your game / skin folder.
- Con: As a squad, all members will have to load the JG1 skins... Can you say "Cat Herding"?
- Con: Even with all JG1 members having loaded our fabulous skins, we will see them but everyone else (unless they have taken the time to load them... can you say "unlikely"?... they will see the default skin). This will be a Summer skin. If it's Winter... well... can you say "Sore Thumb?".
Not sure how we'll deal with this. Actually (and I hate to say this) the Skinpack system makes sense and I kinda hope they bring it back for BOX and FC.
At least COD has the option to change your aircraft number. Still, you can't change the overall skin to add distinguishing markings (White wingtips for example).
A possible work-around for any JG1 BOX tournament (hint, nudge, nudge... Kleigmann) is that all participating squads / Mercs submit their skins .dds files as part of registration and ALL skins are compiled into a .zip file (or, even better, a self extracting .exe file - do we have anyone who knows how to make such?) and these skins are a requirement for participation. Probably unenforceable but we have several unenforceable rules in FIF... no? I'm not sure if there is a performance hit with custome skins - especially if there is a large percentage of 4K skins. I could compile the skin files (Baron already has quite a few for the Europeans) and I can do a .zip but I don't know how to do a self extracting .exe file. I'm teachable though.
That being said - I would be willing to make any interested JG1 pilots a personal skin. Nothing elaborate, mind you. Just your acft. number and any personal graphic (like my Devil Wrench) layered over the default camo of your choice.
"and these skins are a requirement for participation"
I don't mean to imply that custom skins are a requirement to participate... just that if a squad wants to / has custom skins, they should submit them as part of the registration process.