Luftritter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts
  • LocationMichigan, United States

Posted 17 August 2018 - 12:49 PM

Very interesting turn of events.

It also lead me to have a look at the Jack Hunter section to learn more.

Thanks!

"People who believe they are ignorant of nothing have neither looked for, nor stumbled upon, the boundary between what is known and unknown in the universe." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

#62 WWGeezer

WWGeezer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 03:54 AM

Next Chapter Up!  

• Klaiber likes this

#63 Klaiber

Klaiber

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 11,332 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 03:59 AM

I really love the map you've created in Chapter 18.  Amazing work.  Especially how you can see the Fokker D.VII and ground troops through the clouds.  It's a very nice touch.

• Snaggle likes this

Klaiber_tiny_R.png?dl=0
Klaiber_tiny_O.png?dl=0
Klaiber_tiny_FS.png?dl=0

Hals - und Beinbruch!

#64 WWGeezer

WWGeezer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 03:31 PM

Thanks Klaiber. Was trying to play around with showing depth so you felt like you were in the clouds. I also like using photoshop to do just a little more than you could realistically do with a simple sketch. Hovering closer to a graphic novel than a simulation of a journal.
  • Klaiber and Snaggle like this

#65 WWGeezer

WWGeezer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 04:29 AM

Next Chapter Up!

• Snaggle likes this

#66 Klaiber

Klaiber

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 11,332 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 04:39 PM

Really great work Geezer!

Klaiber_tiny_R.png?dl=0
Klaiber_tiny_O.png?dl=0
Klaiber_tiny_FS.png?dl=0

Hals - und Beinbruch!

#67 WWGeezer

WWGeezer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 02:21 AM

Next Chapter Up!

#68 Klaiber

Klaiber

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 11,332 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 03:47 AM

Excellent as usual, Geezer!  I really do love your style.  The page three illustration is fantastic!

Klaiber_tiny_R.png?dl=0
Klaiber_tiny_O.png?dl=0
Klaiber_tiny_FS.png?dl=0

Hals - und Beinbruch!

#69 WWGeezer

WWGeezer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 02:36 AM

Next Chapter Up...check out the cool map!

• Klaiber and Snaggle like this

#70 Luftritter

Luftritter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 01:51 PM

The balloons along the front are angled up; nice, realistic touch.  Not even the ones in the game do that.  The airplanes and zeppelins in the air lend a perspective that emulates looking down from high above.  The channel section shows the war that was going on there, too.  The train line shows the distances from the ports and town along the coast, which turned out to be further than expected.

Outstanding work, Geezer!

• Snaggle likes this
"People who believe they are ignorant of nothing have neither looked for, nor stumbled upon, the boundary between what is known and unknown in the universe." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

#71 Klaiber

Klaiber

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 11,332 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 03:41 PM

Excellent work Geezer!

• Snaggle likes this

Klaiber_tiny_R.png?dl=0
Klaiber_tiny_O.png?dl=0
Klaiber_tiny_FS.png?dl=0

Hals - und Beinbruch!

#72 WWGeezer

WWGeezer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 12:42 PM

Thanks guys....Here are the two maps that inspired the one I made.  Basically took the format of the first one, but curved it to get the 3d view of the second, than had fun with all the objects.  Was trying to show the bigger sandbox of the state of the war at the time that Rupp is recovering.  

Map1S.jpg

Map2S.jpg

• Klaiber and Luftritter like this

#73 WWGeezer

WWGeezer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 03:07 PM

and here is the whole story

http://www.thebluema.../making-the-map

• Klaiber and Luftritter like this

#74 WWGeezer

WWGeezer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 02:47 AM

Last Chapter Up ( Epilogue on Nov 11th).

• Klaiber likes this

#75 Luftritter

Luftritter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 02:32 PM

Hmmm....I thought he would go to the USA.

#76 Klaiber

Klaiber

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 11,332 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 05:29 PM

Outstanding work Geezer! Have you ever considered writing an original story and illustrating it the same way? I can see you publishing something like that.
  • Snaggle likes this

Klaiber_tiny_R.png?dl=0
Klaiber_tiny_O.png?dl=0
Klaiber_tiny_FS.png?dl=0

Hals - und Beinbruch!

#77 WWGeezer

WWGeezer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 06:57 PM

Luft....I thought about it a lot.  Rupp's goal was to survive the war, not to be a deserter or leave the country.  Turn of events took him very close to there. In the end it seemed more consistent to have him go home and heal like most of the other veterans.  

Klaiber....still thinking about it.  My wife's grandfather served in the Argylle and Sutherland Territorials in WW1 from the beginning to the end on the Western Front in the 7th battalion.  I have the regimental diary that lays out every battle he would have been in.  His name was William or Wully and he came home from the front with the a small dog ( have pictures of that).  Would love to trace his history thru the war and do something like what you described ( unfortunately more in the dirt than in the air). 

We visited Scotland and one place had a very small rooster that they affectionately referred to as "the wee man".....so I already have a working title with no idea what it is about

The Wartime Adventures of Wully and the Wee Man.

( PS....really appreciate you guys commenting along the way.

• Klaiber, Luftritter and Snaggle like this

#78 Luftritter

Luftritter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 11:06 PM

It was just that in the beginning, I thought that the diary had been found in the USA (probably an incorrect assumption)....so I assumed he'd end up there one way or another.  However, that's an assumption in some way linked to the number of German people who immigrated to the USA after WWII; not sure how many actually did that after WWI.  It is always strange and interesting how the world works out.  Personally I am glad for the influx of other nationalities (to the extent that they came here to become a part of the USA, and not become a separate country unto themselves within US borders).  I think my own distant relatives showed up here right around the turn of the 20th century, before WWI.  What made them come over is unknown to me; it seems like a long way to go in those days, and a big chance to take.

As for your new, possible literary project: it can't go far wrong if it has a dog in it   ^_^

What could bring people together more?

S! and greatest thanks for your series, Geezer!!!

#79 WWGeezer

WWGeezer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 12:19 AM

No incorrect assumption.  The journal was found in the USA.  St. Augustine to be exact ( home of Jack Hunter).   

I sort of threaded the needle to get it there.  Rupp left the journal behind and someone else held on to it.  In real life Jack Hunter was bit of a spy and was in Germany during WWII.  In the first newspaper article Margaret Heinlein passed away and her daughter found the journal in her home.  She mentioned that her mom was born in Germany and worked for a trucking company.  She also said that she was moved to the US by the government in exchange for secret information.  Her family thought it was a joke, but it was not.  In the book "The Axmann Conspiracy"  Trucking companies where being used to try and keep the Nazi regime alive at the end of the war. Jack was trying to keep tabs on that activity.   A bit of a leap, but if she had the journal and she was an informant, than Jack Hunter would have seen it too.  

All that to get Jack's story woven into this story, and now that I described it, I am confused too!

Glad you enjoyed the series.

#80 Luftritter

Luftritter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 01:41 AM

Well, you got me to take a lot closer look at the Prologue!  I didn't realize that those articles were real....

The name "Heinlein" is very interesting of course....no relation, I suppose....but one likes to imagine    ;)

Such intrigue, all from the beginning; but I missed it all.

Consider pointing more obviously for us stupid readers?  The plot turned out to be far thicker than I had thought.

Like a treasure being discovered!  Thanks for the explanation!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users