#21 Vonrd

Vonrd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 05 May 2018 - 07:02 PM

This looks like an interesting solution to mounting. Ingress / egress may be problematic though...

https://forums.eagle...ad.php?t=108257

Posted Image

#22 Schäfer

Schäfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 07 May 2018 - 11:02 PM

My current joystick (Cobra M5 Defender) is about to go to the silicon heaven. 

Pagr, you can buy the VKB version here. They have them in stock atm. http://store.x-plane.org/

The great thing about this stick is that it has an ARM processor onboard so that all the bindings are stored on the stick itself.

S!

albatros_dv_jasta_6_1_by_ws_clave-d4wlgn

#23 Luftritter

Luftritter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,132 posts
  • LocationMichigan, United States

Posted 20 August 2018 - 03:11 PM

Update on the Virpil line.  I also posted a related thread on the space sims area of the forum.  They came out with a new base that can be used for conventional desk mount, called the "WarBRD", and it's compatible with their other grips.  They also came out with an entire stick based on that mount, but it's a stick type designed for space type sims.

I got tired of waiting for VKB and their lack of any assurances that you could ever actually buy a stick from them, and constantly pushing projected availability dates back.  I was impressed with the build quality of the Virpil bases, which can be seen in the video posted in the space sim area.  So I went ahead and pre-ordered a WarBRD base, and also ordered the Mongoose T-50 grip which is a grip very similar to the VKB Gunfighter MKII grip and is of course configured for flight sims.

One other feature about it that I'm very happy with is that the new base is fully compatible with their long-stick mounting system, and of course the stick extentions; and it has the stronger springs included that you would most likely use if you were to do that.  So you're not restricted to a desktop only type of unit.

Also their HOTAS throttle looks extremely interesting, useful and high quality.  I didn't purchase that at this time, but it looks like it could easily take the place of my quadrant if I wanted to do that in the future.

The whole total costed just over $428.62 US, including shipping from Belarus.  I'm excited to try this out when everything eventually arrives.  I had to wait a while for my Milan Flight Gear pedals, and the wait was well worth it....so I'll wait for this new stick base also; but at least it's actually ordered and processing.

I'll keep you updated if you're interested.  Thanks again to Vonrd and Loopy for initially directing me to the Virpil line.

S!

"People who believe they are ignorant of nothing have neither looked for, nor stumbled upon, the boundary between what is known and unknown in the universe." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

#24 Luftritter

Luftritter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,132 posts
  • LocationMichigan, United States

Posted 20 October 2018 - 02:00 AM

Another update on the Virpil line.  One, they've consolidated their sales into one site instead of a european and north american site; it is now only an EU site (their "worldwide" store).

Two, unfortunately they have to some extent adopted the VKB business model....in other words, you can't "pre-order" anything anymore.  An item is either in stock or not in stock.  If it's not in stock, your only option is to get on an email list to be notified when it is in stock.  Their previous method of operating is the whole reason I chose to deal with them over VKB.  With VKB and their very tiny production of maybe a dozen units at a time, it's most probable that you'll never get one, considering that the units are bought up before you can ever get a chance to order one, once notified.  With VKB, it's kind of like e-Bay.  Somebody always gets in before you.

The good news is that so far, Virpil seems to have better ability to supply.  By that I mean that I was going to buy a T-50 throttle, but they weren't in stock, so I put my name on the email list, not expecting much.  However, within 2 weeks I received a notice (today) and immediately acted on it, and actually got a T-50 throttle on order.

There's been some real confusion going on at the Virpil website, considering that they've moved their production to a new site, and changed their website over to a completely new one.  This happened in the middle of my first order being fulfilled....the WarBRD base and T-50 Mongoos grip.  For a while I couldn't track my order, which was disconcerting....they told me I had to create a whole new account, and even once I did....my original order info was missing.  However, my original order has been shipped and has tracking information, which I found out through their support.  Last I saw it left Minsk and should be coming via USPS Priority Mail in the near future.

The Throttle order has been accepted and there is a record of it.  Since it was one of a batch that they just had in stock, it should progress pretty quickly, as these things go.

These things are not cheap!!  The first order of base and grip cost me very close to $433.00, including shipping, which is a lot.  The second order of throttle only, cost $419.00 including shipping.  The throttle is basically 300 euros, not including shipping.  Pretty expensive!  But if I'm any where near as happy with this stuff as I am with my MFG Pedals, it will be well worth it.  These things are going to require a lot of modifications to my physical setup, so I'm not going to dive into that until we have some break between FiF's.  Once I figure out what I need to do with mounting/strengthening/spring tension/cam profiles, I'll set it all up....maybe in the Christmas time frame.

They have a high standard to live up to; my CH gear has been bullet-proof, once I figured it out; and to be honest, having trim wheels on the pitch and roll axis is something almost nobody else has....which would be something that in FC could be a game changer.

Hope I'm making the right decision!

"People who believe they are ignorant of nothing have neither looked for, nor stumbled upon, the boundary between what is known and unknown in the universe." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users