Music Poker 2018 - Spring Light Edition

Lipfert

Kameraden,

The criteria, really interested to hear any input. Remember the format is we play the songs and vote for the strongest reaction for the round (everybody is 50+ years old in the room).

So we are going to have 7 rounds of music. One for each year starting in 1964 and ending in 1971. (had to add that extra year since there were so many awesome songs.)

Your task is the following:

Pick one song that was RELEASED as an original in 1964, and another for 1965 and 1966 and so on until you have finished with 1971 – 8 years, 8 songs.

Here’s the twist:

You can select the original version from that year OR a cover of that same song (from any year or artist)

Here’s the easy:

Just send me your 8 Youtube URL’s  with the year listed next to the link prior to April 7th. You don’t need to name the song – just make sure the link works.

I will put the songs in a word document and we will just click on the links – no muckety muck. This way we can start at noon and get finished before we all fall asleep.

Reminders:

Velour is the fashion of the day.

S!

I went a different route. Pink Floyd was notorious for playing their songs live to get the tone and feel down before they recorded in studio. Darkside of the Moon was being played live for about a year before they recorded and released it.

"Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun" was released in 68 but I have a live recording from 67 where the guitar and keyboard parts are swapped. I like the 67 version better.

Picks sent.

Kameraden,

See eight song playlists below, listening and absorbing right now. Let me know if I messed up at all, one song was no longer available and I went to a backup copy. Thanks guys appreciate the input.

Klaiber:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0_Qu-cUR1IZvlNvnoPvZgINftCRhqu6D

Razwald: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0_Qu-cUR1IYfWnzrFq2J7RkZKON3E4Zh

Lipfert: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0_Qu-cUR1IaZcLLiNnhMCNTu6X1brDRj

S!

Updated with full playlist.

Edited by Lipfert

Klaiber, now?

I'm just as curious.  I say we wait to see if more people do it. Then post 1 year at a time. Depending on the number of entries you can post once a day or every few days.

Edit

I changed my mind now that I can see both of yours I say post them While they appear.

Edited by Razwald

Also I was not aware that Tuesday Afternoon had an extended version.

The album, Days of Future Passed, is brilliant.  Easily one of my favorite albums of all time.  The album's concept is to take you through one day.  From early morning to late night, with the ability to repeat the entire album, and thus see the passage of time into the next day.

Here's a youtube link of the whole thing (if anyone is interested):

It's one of the first albums (like The Beach Boys' Pet Sounds, The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and The Zombies' Odessey and Oracle) to hint at what would become progressive rock.

I just turned 40 so I would say your more than welcomed.

When I did my list I was stubborn I wanted to put Hendrix "Voodoo Chile" on there but couldn't find a studio version. For those who don't know what I'm talking about. There is "Voodoo Child (Slight Returm) and "Voodoo Chile"

"Voodoo Child (Slight Return) is the famous one which was recorded as an after thought. Most people refer to it as "Voodoo Child." So I got sick of sifting through the Youtube videos looking for it. The Clapton version is good though not to mention Steve Winwood was on the original recording also.

Speaking of progressive rock, Tarkus for 71 would have been a good choice.