All, I recently received an update that caused me a lot of trouble. The Windows update in the title is a major update which is basically a new version of Windows 10. The update failed to install properly two separate times, giving the following error code: 0xc1900101. The machine then reverted back to it's previous revision level and began to work correctly.
Researching the error code showed that it means there was some driver problem or incompatibility. Recommended action was to disconnect all USB devices except for keyboard and mouse. I tried doing this, but the update failed again in the same way. Looking at the device manager, even though the devices were disconnected, there were still devices shown there, especially CH Products devices; so I uninstalled them in the device manager and rebooted. However, the devices self installed themselves again, even though nothing was connected to the computer anymore. Then I realized that I would have to uninstall the CH Control Manager software in order to remove those from the registry; so I did this too.
Upon reboot, the CH Products heading was gone, but there was now an "unknown device" which the computer set up. I have no idea how that was possible, since all hardware and software had theoretically been removed. In any case, I uninstalled the "unknown device" in the device manager; then I attempted the Windows update again. Again, it failed in exactly the same way.
At this point, I could see it wasn't going to work no matter what I could do. I had screwed up my computer pretty thoroughly in trying to get it to work. So, I decided to do a recovery and connected my backup drive. The recovery failed because it said that a required device was missing. So, I reconnected all of the equipment that I had previously disconnected. Windows recognized all of the hardware, but of course it wasn't set up or working like before.
At this point I decided it was better to do a system image restore, because for some reason, the most recent restore point was from January of this year. So I initiated a recovery restart to bring up the troubleshooting options, and initiated an image restore. The image restoration failed also, saying that something on my computer wasn't working properly, and needed repair. Then it had a couple of options in the screen, but they all just got me back to the same point again, except the one that entered the BIOS. I went into the BIOS, changed nothing, and exited it. My only goal was to get Windows to start normally again.
Windows did start up again in it's previous form. Then I manually reinstalled all of the software that I had removed, and also reconfigured it to work. Of course, the game controller ID's had changed, so I tried the JoyID program that Dudley had suggested. Although it did seem to work inside the JoyID program, and I saved the configuration and rebooted, the ID's inside of RoF did not seem to change; instead they retained whatever ID they were trying to be in RoF. In fact, the first time that I started the game, none of the controllers would register at all; but the second time I started the game, I was able to at least get a controller to register when I went to enter it in a game function. So of course I updated my entire controls maps in order for the game to see the controllers as they now were identified.
I questioned why the update was giving so much trouble and why I was getting it now. I researched online and found that they call this the "April update", so obviously I was one of the earlier recipients. Every time I start my computer, it tells me that I need this update; and it has been attempted and failed 4 different times. Checking into the update settings, I found an advanced setting which showed that I was set to receive feature update at this level: "Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted)" which means that I would receive updates earlier than most people. I reset that setting to "Semi-Annual Channel" (not "Targeted"), which was the only other choice. That makes it so that theoretically you get the update later, once the update is "ready for widespread use in organizations"; meaning, later. Apparently Microsoft kind of uses the earliest cases as guinea pigs and works out the bugs as the updates progress; so I guess I'm a guinea pig that died.
I then set the updater to pause all updates. It will only let you do this for a period of 32 days. After that you can't pause updates again until after you apply all updates. After that I guess I'll have to just let it tell me I need updates, but not download and install them. I'm not going to try to run the update again until about August or so; and when I do, I'm not going to remove or uninstall anything to try to make it work. Every other update that I've gotten in the past has worked without any special procedures. I did have trouble with one on my wife's laptop (wireless), but I solved that by getting the update through a direct download and installing it that way.
Bottom line is that I'm back in business; but if any of you see this update coming your way, be wary....very wary.