#1 Lee

Lee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach USA

Posted 29 July 2018 - 07:35 PM

I’m updating my flight simulator computer and will be giving it a dedicated VR headset. I have an Oculus Rift on my other workstation so the Rift is my first choice. But I was wondering what other headset people are using that might offer advantages over the Rift? Only requirements are it runs Flying Circus and EliteDangerous.

#2 Britchot

Britchot

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,408 posts
  • LocationLancaster, CA

Posted 30 July 2018 - 09:43 AM

I am personally holding out until they release a wider FOV and higher resolution than the HTC VivePro.  

Britchot_R_tiny.png?dl=0

Britchot_O_tiny.png?dl=0

Britchot_FS_tiny.png?dl=0

"Es ist noch kein Meister vom Himmel gefallen."

#3 Snaggle

Snaggle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSmyrna, Tennessee

Posted 30 July 2018 - 01:30 PM

I use the HP Windows Mixed Reality head set.

Definitely works with FC not sure on EliteDangerous, but a google search says it does.

What I like about it HP WMR is the headsets are inside out tracking, simple to use, nativity to OS screen resolution is slightly higher then others, and finally the cost is just a little over $200

S!

• Butzzell likes this

S!

JG1_Snaggle_J4

Combined%20ribbons%20and%20Medal_3.jpg?d

#4 Razwald

Razwald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 09:33 PM

I have the HTC Vive Pro.

I tried on the oculus at the store but never tried it on any flight sims so I really can't tell what is better. I don't notice the screen door effect with mine.

I tried to verbally compare my set up with Lipfert's Occulus set up. It seems he could read the same gauges as I could despite having less resolution than me. I was disappointed hearing that. I thought of something today though. With monitors the higher the resolution the more stuff is jammed onto the screen. It's possible that I see a little bit more and stuff is slightly smaller but clearer.

I have read complaints that the Vive lenses seems to have a small sweet spot. I do have to have them on just right or it seems that one eye is not focused right. However I have to get my eyes checked in 2 weeks I can see well far away but have a hard time reading small print at work.  So that could be an issue also. I will update when I get glasses. 

#5 Snaggle

Snaggle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 02:20 AM

I have the HTC Vive Pro.

I tried on the oculus at the store but never tried it on any flight sims so I really can't tell what is better. I don't notice the screen door effect with mine.

I tried to verbally compare my set up with Lipfert's Occulus set up. It seems he could read the same gauges as I could despite having less resolution than me. I was disappointed hearing that. I thought of something today though. With monitors the higher the resolution the more stuff is jammed onto the screen. It's possible that I see a little bit more and stuff is slightly smaller but clearer.

I have read complaints that the Vive lenses seems to have a small sweet spot. I do have to have them on just right or it seems that one eye is not focused right. However I have to get my eyes checked in 2 weeks I can see well far away but have a hard time reading small print at work.  So that could be an issue also. I will update when I get glasses. 

I'm very far sighted and have no issues reading gauges and don't use glasses while wearing VR.

S!

JG1_Snaggle_J4

#6 Razwald

Razwald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 02:44 AM

I'm very far sighted and have no issues reading gauges and don't use glasses while wearing VR.

I can read the gauges. My thought was if I have 1.5X more pixels it should be slightly clearer. I'm not sure if it is. The Vive Pro is nice probably not worth what I paid. I'm glad I got it but I think I will be happier with the future VR stuff.

• Snaggle likes this

#7 Britchot

Britchot

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,408 posts
  • LocationLancaster, CA

Posted 31 July 2018 - 08:16 AM

VR goggles are focused at infinity, so you farsighted fellas are fine. Us nearsighted bubbas have to do something, like inserts or wear glasses with the headset on.
  • Snaggle likes this

Britchot_R_tiny.png?dl=0

Britchot_O_tiny.png?dl=0

Britchot_FS_tiny.png?dl=0

"Es ist noch kein Meister vom Himmel gefallen."

#8 Lee

Lee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach USA

Posted 01 August 2018 - 01:32 PM

Decided to stick with Oculus for now. A known device that works out of the box for the two games I’m interested in. Oculus Rift is a generation 1 VR device. I usually skip every other generation of fast changing technology, so won’t be upgrading again until the gen 3 VR headsets appear. And of course that will require a complete computer upgrade when the time comes.
  • Klaiber, Lipfert, Snaggle and 1 other like this

#9 Butzzell

Butzzell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 08:44 PM

Pimax is working on 8k  and 200 degree fov.  Sounds nice  if they get it to work.

• Klaiber and Snaggle like this

sig8.png

#10 Snaggle

Snaggle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 09:00 PM

Pimax is working on 8k  and 200 degree fov.  Sounds nice  if they get it to work.

can you say $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

S!

JG1_Snaggle_J4

#11 Butzzell

Butzzell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 11:11 PM

Whatever they do will soon be copied.  competition will lower the price.

• Britchot and Snaggle like this

sig8.png

#12 JG-1_Trev5150

JG-1_Trev5150

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationLegit Republic of Blanketsburg

Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:33 PM

Whatever they do will soon be copied.  competition will lower the price.

I hope you're right. I didn't really see that happening with Oculus and HTC. They only started lowering prices and bundling when sales started to wane after the big burst of launch adopters, which is when we got in. But on the PC side of things (don't really care about the portable, smartphone driven gadgets too much), no one really showed up to scoop business out from under the Vive and Rift. 

sigpic82601_6.gif

"When the game is over, the king and the pawn go in the same box." 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users