#41 Vonrd

Vonrd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 22 August 2018 - 05:21 AM

Does the total package and new skins need to be installed on the server?

I may be wrong (and often am   :P ) but I think "Custom Skins" are dependent on the individual players having downloaded and installed them in their game folder. The server can allow or deny custom skins. They may have to be on the server for them to show up on AI planes (and tanks... there are now templates out for tank skins... how are we going to do JG1 as Panzergruppen?  :huh: ). 

Posted Image

#42 Klaiber

Klaiber

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 11,329 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 05:56 AM

Thanks for the link!

I want to re-name them so they all begin with "A" ... i.e.... "A_FDr1_JG1_Vonrd" instead of "FDr1_JG1_Vonrd". This will make the skins show up early in the list as more squads / people add skins (ones that we want to see anyway).

This may cause some confusion for those that already downloaded the skins. Is everyone OK with re-naming or should I blow it off?

Personally, I think it's okay to leave them as is.  But it's completely up to you.  I'll just re-download them.

Klaiber_tiny_R.png?dl=0
Klaiber_tiny_O.png?dl=0
Klaiber_tiny_FS.png?dl=0

Hals - und Beinbruch!

#43 Britchot

Britchot

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,557 posts
  • LocationLancaster, CA

Posted 23 August 2018 - 01:53 PM

We used to use "!!" preceding the names ;)

Britchot_R_tiny.png?dl=0

Britchot_O_tiny.png?dl=0

Britchot_FS_tiny.png?dl=0

"Es ist noch kein Meister vom Himmel gefallen."

#44 Butzzell

Butzzell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 03:41 AM

S!

I Like the AA_plane name_JG1_Pilot name.

My 4 K DR1 skin for download

Posted Image

#45 Hook

Hook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 04:04 PM

Would this work?  Half black, and half white, with the struts and underwing matching their respective sides.

Attached Files

• Klaiber and Snaggle like this
Hook! Hook! Give us the Hook!

#46 Klaiber

Klaiber

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 11,329 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 11:24 PM

That's an awesome idea, Hook.  Can't wait to see that.

Klaiber_tiny_R.png?dl=0
Klaiber_tiny_O.png?dl=0
Klaiber_tiny_FS.png?dl=0

Hals - und Beinbruch!

#47 Vonrd

Vonrd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 02 September 2018 - 01:09 AM

Here ya go Hook:

https://www.dropbox....1_Hook.dds?dl=0

Let me know if you want anything changed. I did the struts red because the struts aren't mapped for left and right. 

Posted Image

#48 Hook

Hook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 11:20 AM

Thanks Vonrd.  Is it possible to change that dark green to black?  If not, would a prussian blue or navy blue work?  The cover on the top of the fuselage in front of the pilot, can that be split to match as well?  If not, it's not a big deal.  I appreciate you getting it out so fast, and it looks great.  

It came to me in a dream Klaiber, haha.  Its a philosophical choice, and hopefully instantly recognizable.

• Klaiber likes this

#49 Luftritter

Luftritter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts
  • LocationMichigan, United States

Posted 02 September 2018 - 12:32 PM

What happens if the person using a skin in the game has a different file name for his skin, even if it's the same file, but just a different name?  All of the WWII skins I got from the consolidated skins link on this forum have a single "A" in front of the names.  Butzzell's "4K" skin above has two A's ("AA") in front of it.  Should I hold off installing skins until changes are finalized?  Also, it appears that the FC (Fokker Dr.1) skins don't use the prefix like the WWII skins and instead use pilot names.  Why do the WWII skins use call signs as opposed to pilot names, or vice versa?

I get that you could have all of the versions of a file name in your folders, but that's going to lead to a lot of unnecessary file duplication, isn't it?  What I'm not going to know is whether a file with a different name is any different than a previous version without visually scrutinizing it in-game.   

"People who believe they are ignorant of nothing have neither looked for, nor stumbled upon, the boundary between what is known and unknown in the universe." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

#50 Vonrd

Vonrd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 03 September 2018 - 01:55 AM

Thanks Vonrd.  Is it possible to change that dark green to black?  If not, would a prussian blue or navy blue work?  The cover on the top of the fuselage in front of the pilot, can that be split to match as well?  If not, it's not a big deal.  I appreciate you getting it out so fast, and it looks great.  

It came to me in a dream Klaiber, haha.  Its a philosophical choice, and hopefully instantly recognizable.

Here ya go Hook:

https://www.dropbox....kerDr1.zip?dl=0

Note that this is the complete DR1 file and all files have been renamed with the "A_" prefix (see the next post) so please remove any JG1 skins that you have in your file before unzipping this in.

Sorry about the Olive Drab... it looked black in PS and the skin viewer. The pilot's combing was due to a "Grease Stain" layer in the template... got it sorted.

Attached File  2018_9_3__0_58_38.bmp   7.91MB   11 downloads

Attached File  2018_9_3__0_58_53.bmp   7.91MB   8 downloads

EDIT:

Attaching screenshots still not working for me.

• Klaiber likes this
Posted Image

#51 Luftritter

Luftritter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 02:11 AM

Cool skin! Great work.
"People who believe they are ignorant of nothing have neither looked for, nor stumbled upon, the boundary between what is known and unknown in the universe." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

#52 Vonrd

Vonrd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 03 September 2018 - 02:19 AM

What happens if the person using a skin in the game has a different file name for his skin, even if it's the same file, but just a different name?  All of the WWII skins I got from the consolidated skins link on this forum have a single "A" in front of the names.  Butzzell's "4K" skin above has two A's ("AA") in front of it.  Should I hold off installing skins until changes are finalized?  Also, it appears that the FC (Fokker Dr.1) skins don't use the prefix like the WWII skins and instead use pilot names.  Why do the WWII skins use call signs as opposed to pilot names, or vice versa?

I get that you could have all of the versions of a file name in your folders, but that's going to lead to a lot of unnecessary file duplication, isn't it?  What I'm not going to know is whether a file with a different name is any different than a previous version without visually scrutinizing it in-game.   

Good point Luft.

Since I seem to be the "Skin Czar" I propose that ALL JG1 skins begin with the "A_" prefix.

Currently it is a bit of a mish / mash and I will take the blame for that since it has evolved as Hess and I were doing the skins and we didn't come up with a consistent naming system.

That being said... I have found software... "ReNamer" ...that make's it relatively painless to batch re-name files. I don't want to get too anal about it though. As long as the files begin with an "A" (and all my WWII ones do so) which will bring them at or close to the top of the list, I think that should be good enough and would save me the hassle and possible loss of files in renaming *everything*.

Our total download size is getting pretty big (I have 14 Gig in the skins file but that includes Wing Walkers and a few others). Hess has done his skins in "weathered" and "brand new". I propose we eliminate one or the other and I would prefer to keep the "weathered" since all of my skins are as such.

So, it's going to be a bit of a PITA for those who have already downloaded custom skins other than JG1 as you will have to somehow keep them while deleting ALL JG1 skins before installing the Global JG1 zip file (which I will compile if Command approves this naming policy). 

Oh, and about call signs... We don't have numbers / letters assigned to us in WW1 so I use the pilot's name. In WW2 we do have number / letter assignments and pilots do sometimes get re-assigned or quit. Pretty much all I would have to do is change the personal graphic like your "gauntlet" but keep the rest the same.

• Klaiber likes this
Posted Image

#53 Luftritter

Luftritter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 02:26 AM

Certainly no blame is to be assigned here; you can do no wrong :)

I just now installed my first skins so trying to figure out where the files I used stand in the big picture scheme of things.

#54 Klaiber

Klaiber

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 11,329 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 04:03 AM

Since I seem to be the "Skin Czar" I propose that ALL JG1 skins begin with the "A_" prefix.

Works for me.

Klaiber_tiny_R.png?dl=0
Klaiber_tiny_O.png?dl=0
Klaiber_tiny_FS.png?dl=0

Hals - und Beinbruch!

#55 Klaiber

Klaiber

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 11,329 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 04:04 AM

I like it!

Klaiber_tiny_R.png?dl=0
Klaiber_tiny_O.png?dl=0
Klaiber_tiny_FS.png?dl=0

Hals - und Beinbruch!

#56 Vonrd

Vonrd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 03 September 2018 - 04:19 AM

Works for me.

I now decree that all JG1 skin files SHALL begin with "A" and I will rename all that aren't that way. 

What about Hess's "weathered" and "brand new"? If I don't hear anything I will delete the "brand new".

Posted Image

#57 Luftritter

Luftritter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 11:44 AM

2018_9_3_0_58_38.png

2018_9_3_0_58_53.png

That "Hook Man" on the fuselage looks a bit more sinister than Hook's forum avatar, LOL   :lol:

• Klaiber, Britchot, Butzzell and 3 others like this

#58 Hook

Hook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 01:56 PM

The sinister only comes out in the air.  A true Jekyll and Hyde persona.  Entente beware of the Hook!

• Klaiber and Snaggle like this

#59 Snaggle

Snaggle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSmyrna, Tennessee

Posted 03 September 2018 - 03:44 PM

The sinister only comes out in the air.  A true Jekyll and Hyde persona.  Entente beware of the Hook!

Where have I heard that before? Oh yes Flyboys!! :D

S!

JG1_Snaggle_J4

Posted Image

#60 Sturtz

Sturtz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationOklahoma. United States

Posted 03 September 2018 - 03:56 PM

I really like that scheme . Don't have FC yet but love that off set Dr1 paint.  :)

Sturtz_R_Small.png?dl=0

FIF2018s_smaller.png?dl=0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users