#1 Ludwig

Ludwig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 27 October 2018 - 06:07 AM

OK...  I am Feldwebel Schultz when it comes to video cards..... other than the PRICE...... I KNOW NOTH-THING.....

SO... here's the story.   I had to move from San Antonio to Dallas when I got my new job, and it happened FAST (pilot shortage means NOW!)  SO.... I went and bought an Alienware laptop that was capable of running the games I enjoy  (CLOD, BOX, Assetto Corsa) and it came with the NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5.   OK....     I loaded up and started having fun.... flying with Hook on CLOD and I could not see the Goodyear Blimp if it was next to me.  WTF over?  I got a nice new monitor BENQ Zowie 2560 x 1440 27".. and I could not see....  Hook says  "I see'em"   I say... huh?

We went back and changed the resolution, in game, on the computer....    slight improvement when we backed off the resolution....   slight....

Ok.…   90 days later I get to go home for a few days and I grab my desktop … old faithful is about 3-4 years old and has GeForce GTX 980....    and I hook it up to the same monitor and just switch inputs as needed.... I leave the old machine on the CLOD setup with joystick and pedals and the new laptop runs the driving sim and I mostly use the laptop display when driving because it can sit next to the sim chair easily...  but I use the big monitor to get things setup with the game and the VR... just takes 5 button presses to switch between them. SOOOOO.... you can guess where this is going....  I play CLOD on the OLD machine on the EXACT same monitor... without changing a plug.... and  VOILA !   I can see again...   I can spot the little buggers out there at least as good as I should....and I am using the 2560x1440 resolution...... Hook can see them miles away but I could not see hardly anything... it was awful.... now it is acceptable at least.

Should I just be happy that I can see again and leave it alone??? or is this something that can be a lesson from which to learn?  If you have any ideas or thoughts please advise. 

"Zwei stunde mit ohne zigarren..... furchbar" Adolf Galland to me about flying to the airshow.

"Chuck Yeager says... the first time ever I see a jet, I shoot it down.... I say.. the first time I see Chuck Yeager... I shoot him down" Gunter Rall to me at a picture signing.

#2 Luftritter

Luftritter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts
  • LocationMichigan, United States

Posted 27 October 2018 - 12:32 PM

The main lesson is, for gaming, don't buy a laptop.

Sure, it's a "gaming" laptop... but what that really means is, compared to other laptops, it's good, but compared to a full sized PC? No. They like to imply that components inside a laptop are the same by using the same names; but they're all special laptop versions that are not only more compact, they have completely different architecture. They use less power. They can't cool as well. Their caches and memory are less and maybe even a completely different type.

The full-sized components are bigger for a reason. When it comes to Nvidia GPUs, the first part of the number is the generation of the processor; but the last two numbers are basically how good that card is... and a 60 series is not that good. I personally would never buy anything less than a 70 series, they have about the best price point for what you're getting; but I almost always go for the 80 series. It's a big jump in price jump, but you get what you pay for. Basically any current 80 series card will run any current game at full settings, fast, using only one card. It's all about data throughput. There are two ways to increase that... you can speed things up, or you can process bigger chunks of data with each clock cycle. With each series increase, they do both of those things; and by the 80 series, they're basically about as fast as that generation of card can run. They may have a special "TI" version that can do a little more, but you're paying a very high premium for not that much increase... basically, bragging rights.

Just use the "native" resolution of your monitor. If your machine can't run that at settings and frame rates that are acceptable to you, you need a new GPU. If that resolution is not good enough for you, you need a new monitor.
"People who believe they are ignorant of nothing have neither looked for, nor stumbled upon, the boundary between what is known and unknown in the universe." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

#3 JG-1_Trev5150

JG-1_Trev5150

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • LocationLegit Republic of Blanketsburg

Posted 27 October 2018 - 04:15 PM

Run what you got until it's no longer acceptable to you. If you're happy with the performance you're getting right now you might as well wait until you're ready to rebuild entirely. Piecemealing parts is a zero-sum game. Upgrade your GPU and you have a relatively new GPU being dragged down my by obsolete CPU, (which is the case for me right now with a GTX 1070 card being hampered by a 4770K i7 that can't hold up to what I need it to do vis-a-vis DCS. It goes on and on like that until you've had enough and completely rebuild with all new stuffs. 

Posted Image
"When the game is over, the king and the pawn go in the same box."

#4 Luftritter

Luftritter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 10:01 PM

Run what you got until it's no longer acceptable to you. If you're happy with the performance you're getting right now you might as well wait until you're ready to rebuild entirely. Piecemealing parts is a zero-sum game. Upgrade your GPU and you have a relatively new GPU being dragged down my by obsolete CPU, (which is the case for me right now with a GTX 1070 card being hampered by a 4770K i7 that can't hold up to what I need it to do vis-a-vis DCS. It goes on and on like that until you've had enough and completely rebuild with all new stuffs. 

Yes, what he said, all of what I said is dependent on the rest of your system being up to date, or at least, not too out of date.

They say there are games that are "CPU-intensive" (RoF is purported to be one of these) and games which are more "GPU intensive".  The GPU can take away a lot of the processing load from the CPU, but only if the game code is written in a way that can take advantage of that.  I think most of the mainstream, highly popular games are written that way. But flight sims?  Possibly not so much.  

"People who believe they are ignorant of nothing have neither looked for, nor stumbled upon, the boundary between what is known and unknown in the universe." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

#5 Britchot

Britchot

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,586 posts
  • LocationLancaster, CA

Posted 28 October 2018 - 05:30 PM

You have to be careful with your settings in some games. I did a lot of trial and error with DCS and putting certain settings to High from Medium actually took the load off of the CPU and put it on the GPU, making the game run smoother. Counterintuitive, really.

I recommend bringing up your task manager (on a second screen if you can) and go through one setting at a time, applying and reevaluating. You’re looking to keep your CPU around 80-95% and your GPU as high as it can go. Whenever you’re hitting 100% on the CPU, it’s bottlenecking and slowing some process down.

Yes, it takes a long time. Yes, it is totally worth it.
  • Butzzell and Etzel like this

Britchot_R_tiny.png?dl=0

Britchot_O_tiny.png?dl=0

Britchot_FS_tiny.png?dl=0

"Es ist noch kein Meister vom Himmel gefallen."

#6 Luftritter

Luftritter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 01:56 PM

There is "game mode" in Windows 10 now (Win-G, enable game mode).  Is this doing anything for you guys?  I use it but haven't checked in detail as Brit has whether or not it's doing any good.

#7 Britchot

Britchot

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,586 posts
  • LocationLancaster, CA

Posted 29 October 2018 - 06:16 PM

I disabled it on my desktop due to a recommendation I read somewhere and the fact I'd rather control the settings, myself. 

Stay out of my computer, Bill!

• Klaiber, Luftritter and Snaggle like this

Britchot_R_tiny.png?dl=0

Britchot_O_tiny.png?dl=0

Britchot_FS_tiny.png?dl=0

"Es ist noch kein Meister vom Himmel gefallen."

#8 Luftritter

Luftritter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 06:24 PM

Oh, he's in there, LOL   :lol:

• Klaiber and Snaggle like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users