#2 Luftritter

Luftritter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts
  • LocationMichigan, United States

Posted 04 November 2018 - 09:22 PM

Great explanation and illustration of the problem.  I can see that if you have a certain (lower) resolution, you would expect things to become pixelated, and then disappear sooner, if the game is biased to a higher resolution; that would mean that possibly, you could still see the objects if you were running a higher resolution (more pixels available).  Every sim is made with a certain, optimum resolution in mind (with respect to RoF, that was undoubtedly 1920 X 1080).  If you are below that resolution, things could disappear before they really should.  Higher, you could still see them, but you might also see other problems such as "fish eye" effects that would not be there if you were running their target resolution and/or aspect ratio.

It would be nice if they would just say "look, this is the resolution the game was made to run at"; and I could understand if it was meant to run at resolutions and aspect ratios that were most commonly available in the hardware market, at that time.  Then, if you run something higher or lower, you might see some odd things happen.  In general, it would always be helpful to run at the game's "target resolution", just the same as any monitor's "native" resolution.

My guess is that they will always use a standard 16:9 aspect ratio and 1080p resolution, until something becomes more the norm.  It seems like you've discovered that certain settings in the (current) game work better with the new "4K" standards; that's great to know.  But I would not be surprised if the makers defaulted to what most people have now, in order to please the most people.  That would mean that you might see the exact same thing at a lower resolution, without seeing any advantage at higher resolutions; that would look strange to folks running higher resolutions.  Perhaps they don't want to change to a higher resolution bias until enough folks have bought their game.... :lol:

"People who believe they are ignorant of nothing have neither looked for, nor stumbled upon, the boundary between what is known and unknown in the universe." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

#3 loopy

loopy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 11:32 PM

cant add picture

#4 Luftritter

Luftritter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts
  • LocationMichigan, United States

Posted 05 November 2018 - 03:35 AM

cant add picture

Maybe you could explain what the point of the picture was, though   ;)

A lot depends on your browser, apparently; but I sure could tell you how to do it if you were using Chrome....

"People who believe they are ignorant of nothing have neither looked for, nor stumbled upon, the boundary between what is known and unknown in the universe." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

#5 Barton

Barton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 02:08 PM

A link to this thread got posted on my thread about this on the IL-2 website. https://forum.il2stu...ened9-features/

Worth a shot. I haven’t been able fiddle with it enough to get rid of the clouds problem but multiple people report it working.
  • Luftritter likes this

#6 Razwald

Razwald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 12:45 AM

I use the mod and it does seem to help.

#7 Vonrd

Vonrd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 07 November 2018 - 05:03 AM

I use the mod and it does seem to help.

Same here but they still do disappear in front of clouds... just a little bit better in my experience so far. 

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users