Issue with GPU or CPU or anything in between…..

Etzel

Hi Etzel,

Looks like you found a workable solution. Last year I also went thru a process of trying to figure out RoF Graphic performance weirdness, so i'll put this here for future reference. 

I believe the low utilization of GPU in RoF is a function of the CPU not delivering frames fast enough to the GPU to render. This isn't really the CPU's fault, it's the badly optimised (or just very old) RoF game code which relies heavily on a single core on the CPU at a time. You can probably see this from Afterburner if you track all the CPU cores. BoX makes better use of a modern CPU's multiple cores/threads so the GPU gets all the frames it can handle.

I found one way to help RoF is to identify which Graphics settings are CPU sensitive and lower them until you get a consistent framerate that doesn't drop too far but still give a good image. I ran thru all the settings one at a time with a standard test and came up with the following. Worst offenders were Forest Vis, Shaders, Reflections, SSampling and AA.

Attached are my settings which generally give 75-90fps in RoF from a modest Ryzen5 2600 @3.85Ghz with a GTX1080 running 1440p. However Black Sept last year stressed it and dropped to 60+ so i ran later sessions manually overclocked to 4.0Ghz

Same (non-overclocked) setup gives 110-144fps in FC.

post-5688-0-43862100-1550330612_thumb.jpg

I believe the low utilization of GPU in RoF is a function of the CPU not delivering frames fast enough to the GPU to render. This isn't really the CPU's fault, it's the badly optimised (or just very old) RoF game code which relies heavily on a single core on the CPU at a time. You can probably see this from Afterburner if you track all the CPU cores. BoX makes better use of a modern CPU's multiple cores/threads so the GPU gets all the frames it can handle.

Hi Bear, 

thanks a lot for advice, some my feelings about the problem pointed roughly towards such a direction… I think simply any component (maybe CPU, maybe any internal BUS...) cannot handle some specific situation and sends a kind of "shut off" signal to the GPU then… Maybe also simply my power supply reaches in such situation ist Limits (I have a 600W).

Anyhow, it is not unlikely that these are only signs indication my system reaches end of ist LifeCycle....

But that's not relevant now, I have my backups done and at the moment I found an absolutely acceptable graphic setting that provides sufficient results and still allows 2 Hours flight time at FiF, and it was not even needed to reduce the Settings _that_ much:

post-5565-0-44466100-1550353736_thumb.jpg

...so this super-sampling seems to be really a good bet to be turned off in case of any troubles....

Salute & thanks for all your support guys.... 

Etzel

PS.: My Monitor anyhow is limited with 60 Hz, so any framefrate above does not bring any Benefit to me  ;)