Photo

Issue with GPU or CPU or anything in between…..

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Etzel

Etzel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 04:33 PM

Any reason why you don't run full screen mode?

If you haven't already, try disabling "Post Effects".  This is only for testing purposes.  Suspect here is "Super Sampling" especially; it can be a real killer to some systems.  If disabling Post Effects cures the problem, you could later try to enable them again, but disable the Super Sampling part, and see if it still works.

All I can say is that this is how I run the game.  My system is more powerful than yours, both CPU, GPU, and probably memory too.  Most people do run Post Effects, but I'm not sure if they use the Super Sampling part of that all of the time.  They maybe have more powerful systems than yours, too.  In any case, it might be worth a try to disable the Post Effects just for testing purposes....it's easy to turn back on later if it doesn't make any difference.

Re Full Screen Mode: I ran on full screen earlier too, but there was a specific reason I turned it off to get rid of certain problems; unfortunatly I don't know what exectly was the reason for this.... anyhow, no prob to do a test with full screen mode again for the testflight...

And yes, the post effects I planned anyhow to turn off for my next test run, together with a significant reduction of the light sources and see then if the issue still occurs at the same point in game. As the last flight I did is easy to reproduce I will do exactly the same flight and see how system behaves then....

#22 Luftritter

Luftritter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts
  • LocationMichigan, United States

Posted 07 February 2019 - 05:19 PM

I think any problems with full screen mode that once occurred, at the time were solved by running the RoF executable in "Administrator" mode.  I don't even know if it still occurs.  I remember it began to happen after some Windows update quite a while back.

Edit:  I checked back and found the old thread dealing with the inability to run in full screen mode correctly HERE

If you skip to the end, you will see that BH_Dutch posted the correct solution that returned operation to normal in full screen mode.  The solution was to run the program in "Compatibility Mode" for Windows 7.

I just checked, and mine is still set to run that way.  Since RoF was created way before Windows 10, it certainly wouldn't hurt to set it to run that way.  Who knows, it might even solve your problem?

The program file that you want to set to run in Windows 7 Compatibility Mode is located at:    ....Rise of Flight > bin_game > release > ROF.exe

If you don't know how to set it that way, let me know.

compatibility-1.jpg

"People who believe they are ignorant of nothing have neither looked for, nor stumbled upon, the boundary between what is known and unknown in the universe." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

#23 Etzel

Etzel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 10:46 PM

Hmmm.... thanks, I remember. But I am meanwhile on Windows 10 (for some time already)... so I am not sure if really that was the latest reason for switching to window mode. But anyhow, I see no reason not use the full screen mode  for my next test, so I will switch this setting too, just to be sure that not maybe this is causing the issue....

• Luftritter likes this

#24 Etzel

Etzel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 12:18 AM

Good News, flew with the new Setting 1 hour and 12 minutes on last weeks FiF map without any issue....  :D  Well, have to say without post effects graphical atmosphere is really affacted….but well, I fly not that much time in RoF any more and with that Settings it seems I can at least rejoin FiF again!!  ;) 

• Britchot and Luftritter like this

#25 Luftritter

Luftritter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 01:45 PM

Maybe you can try turning post effects back on, and then just uncheck super sampling, when you get time to test some more. But only change one thing at a time, if you're sure everything is working properly now. You want to be sure exactly what the cause is.
"People who believe they are ignorant of nothing have neither looked for, nor stumbled upon, the boundary between what is known and unknown in the universe." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

#26 US103_Baer

US103_Baer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 03:36 PM

Hi Etzel,

Looks like you found a workable solution. Last year I also went thru a process of trying to figure out RoF Graphic performance weirdness, so i'll put this here for future reference. 

I believe the low utilization of GPU in RoF is a function of the CPU not delivering frames fast enough to the GPU to render. This isn't really the CPU's fault, it's the badly optimised (or just very old) RoF game code which relies heavily on a single core on the CPU at a time. You can probably see this from Afterburner if you track all the CPU cores. BoX makes better use of a modern CPU's multiple cores/threads so the GPU gets all the frames it can handle.

I found one way to help RoF is to identify which Graphics settings are CPU sensitive and lower them until you get a consistent framerate that doesn't drop too far but still give a good image. I ran thru all the settings one at a time with a standard test and came up with the following. Worst offenders were Forest Vis, Shaders, Reflections, SSampling and AA.

Attached are my settings which generally give 75-90fps in RoF from a modest Ryzen5 2600 @3.85Ghz with a GTX1080 running 1440p. However Black Sept last year stressed it and dropped to 60+ so i ran later sessions manually overclocked to 4.0Ghz

Same (non-overclocked) setup gives 110-144fps in FC.

Attached Files

• Luftritter and Etzel like this

#27 Luftritter

Luftritter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 03:57 PM

Posted in wrong area, sorry....

#28 Etzel

Etzel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 09:50 PM

I believe the low utilization of GPU in RoF is a function of the CPU not delivering frames fast enough to the GPU to render. This isn't really the CPU's fault, it's the badly optimised (or just very old) RoF game code which relies heavily on a single core on the CPU at a time. You can probably see this from Afterburner if you track all the CPU cores. BoX makes better use of a modern CPU's multiple cores/threads so the GPU gets all the frames it can handle.

Hi Bear, 

thanks a lot for advice, some my feelings about the problem pointed roughly towards such a direction… I think simply any component (maybe CPU, maybe any internal BUS...) cannot handle some specific situation and sends a kind of "shut off" signal to the GPU then… Maybe also simply my power supply reaches in such situation ist Limits (I have a 600W).

Anyhow, it is not unlikely that these are only signs indication my system reaches end of ist LifeCycle....

But that's not relevant now, I have my backups done and at the moment I found an absolutely acceptable graphic setting that provides sufficient results and still allows 2 Hours flight time at FiF, and it was not even needed to reduce the Settings _that_ much:

Attached File  Graphicsetttings_20190216.jpg   113.55KB   0 downloads

...so this super-sampling seems to be really a good bet to be turned off in case of any troubles....

Salute & thanks for all your support guys.... 

Etzel

PS.: My Monitor anyhow is limited with 60 Hz, so any framefrate above does not bring any Benefit to me  ;)

• Luftritter likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users