Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 13 March 2019 - 05:25 PM

https://forum.virpil...base-successor/

https://forum.virpil...-opening-dates/

I see the advantages of the new base and grip, but my present T-50 set is too good to say goodbye to.

#2 Luftritter

Luftritter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts
  • LocationMichigan, United States

Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:19 PM

So, what is to happen to the WarBRD base?  I thought it WAS the successor for the T-50 base....

Regardless, that is what I have and I'm very happy with it.  It has more degrees of movement than the T-50 did....

So if want you want is a LONG stick, you'd be better off with less degrees of movement.

I'm very happy with my original T-50 grip, mostly because I figured out a great way to use the POV hat to do FOV zoom.  That function is paramount to me.

However, I will admit that what I really wanted is a grip that was like my old one, that had a 4-way hat under the thumb, that I could use as FOV zoom.  There is no real substitute for that kind of ergonomic convenience.

So I have a sticky note to (try to) order the new grip at 2:00 pm EDT on March 15.  Yeah, it's a lot of money; and it's also a lot to bank on that it's actually in a position that works and feels natural.  You can't tell that kind of thing from looking at a picture.  But honestly, it's what I originally wanted.  Too bad they didn't have it back then.

If I am lucky enough to be able to order one, I'll have an original T-50 grip available for anybody who might want one (Vonrd?).  It may not work out, who knows.  But I am going to try.

Thanks for the links, Heinrich!

• Heinrich likes this
"People who believe they are ignorant of nothing have neither looked for, nor stumbled upon, the boundary between what is known and unknown in the universe." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

#3 Shadepiece

Shadepiece

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • LocationThe Rockies

Posted 14 March 2019 - 03:56 AM

This is indeed excellent news! Wow!

The WarBRD base was intended for desktop flying with out extensions. The T-50 was definitely always the go to for folks wanting an extension. I've had a lovely time dealing with Virpil and I really love their customer service and products, so I am definitely highly interested in this. The new extended desk mount is absolutely a must have in my opinion, because with the full extension the stick sits pretty high as is.

Very exciting news indeed. Thanks for the heads up!
Fire only at close range, and only when your opponent is properly in your sights.

-Hauptmann Oswald Boelcke, Jasta 2

#4 Vonrd

Vonrd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 14 March 2019 - 04:59 AM

If I am lucky enough to be able to order one, I'll have an original T-50 grip available for anybody who might want one (Vonrd?).  It may not work out, who knows.  But I am going to try.

If I can order a base I might want to buy your grip Luft... thanks!

Posted Image

#5 Ludwig

Ludwig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:29 AM

I thought it felt EXACTLY correct the first time I grabbed onto it... I have absolutely NO complaints. If they want to take it to the next level then I guess it would be force-feedback but I don't see that much demand for it....  more of hand candy than anything else... but it would be interesting.

"Zwei stunde mit ohne zigarren..... furchbar" Adolf Galland to me about flying to the airshow.

"Chuck Yeager says... the first time ever I see a jet, I shoot it down.... I say.. the first time I see Chuck Yeager... I shoot him down"
Günther Rall to me at a picture signing.

#6 Luftritter

Luftritter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:42 PM

That folding trigger they have is the best bomb drop button ever. I love that.
"People who believe they are ignorant of nothing have neither looked for, nor stumbled upon, the boundary between what is known and unknown in the universe." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

#7 Luftritter

Luftritter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 06:37 PM

Well, I failed to get an order in today for the new grip.  The "restock" that was scheduled for today at 18:00 GMT (2:00 pm EDT) suddenly didn't include the Mongoose T50 CM2 grip.  The site went down at 30 minutes prior to the scheduled restock with a message saying that they were restocking, and that when the site came back up in a few minutes, the restock would be complete.  The site came back up about 2 minutes prior to the hour....but still showing no availability for the grip.

After about 15 minutes of refreshing with no changes, I went to the forum news section.  Now it said that the grip I want wouldn't be restocked.  The only way now is to preorder it on the 17th.

The 17th.....when?  It doesn't say (no way to reply to the news posts, either).  My experience is that once pre-orders open, so many people pre-order that they only take so many, and very soon the site will just say "pre-orders closed" or something to that effect, until many weeks or months later, when they take another batch of pre-orders.

I hate the way you have to play this stupid game to try to get these products.

Come 0000 GMT on the 17th (8:00 pm on the 16th, my time) I'll have to start checking the site for pre-order availability.  I'm not going to stay up all night trying to order something.  I'm willing to put some effort into it but it's BS how this stuff works.

• Snaggle likes this

#8 Luftritter

Luftritter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 05:50 PM

Well, I got the new grip on pre-order.  It was lot more complicated than I thought.

I was glad to see the "pre-order" button active on the site; but when I got to checkout, I was in for a surprise.  The only option for payment was direct bank transfer.  Really?  So I looked around the website for the payment options section, and it said there that if you have a pre-order, the only option for payment is going to be direct bank transfer.  Then they give you all the following information, and you have 72 hours to make the successful transfer, or your order is cancelled.

Payment Method Bank Transfer Payment Transfer Instructions:

SWIFT (BIC): CBSBLT26 (CBSBLT26XXX)
IBAN: LT497181200027467803

Account Name: UAB VIRPIL
Bank Name: Šiaulių bankas AB
Bank Address: Tilžės g.149, Šiauliai, Lithuania, LT-76348

Currency: EUR

Please enter your order number as the payment reference.

All fees relating to the transfer must be paid to ensure the order balance is paid in full. If you are unsure, please enquire with your bank for guidance.

Note: If you have a pre-order item in your basket, Bank Transfer Payment is the only available payment option. Please review the pre-order terms here:
 https://virpil-contr...eu/payment-info

So I'm looking at all that and wondering if my bank is even capable of doing an international transfer.  Then I see somewhere on the site that they say they use "Braintree" in cooperation with Paypal.  Braintree I have no idea, but Paypal I know.  So I went into my Paypal account and started looking at all of the different options for sending money to.  One of them was interbank transfer, and once I selected that, it had about 3 different choices, and one of them, believe it or not was transfer to a bank in another country.  So I chose that.   Well, all of a sudden it's taking me to a new company called "Xoom".  It's affiliated with Paypal.  The thing is it already had all of my bank account info; it must have gotten it from Paypal. 

So the first thing it asks me is what country I want to transfer to, and Lithuania is in the pull-down list.  Then it asks me the bank I want to transfer to in that country, and up till then I was worried, because looking at the info Virpil gives, I know I can't even type a lot of those characters.  But it was another pull-down list, and it only had about 4 banks listed, and sure enough, the bank from the Virpil info was in there; so I chose it.

Then it asked for the IBAN number (20 characters).  I entered that from the info above, and it gave me the green check mark, like it was good.   Next it wanted to know who I was sending the money to.  The fields were set up for a first and last name, and address, like it was a person.  I wasn't sure what to do.  So in the first name field, I put "Virpil Controls EU".  I don't know if that's the best thing.  I was afraid that the money might go into their account, but they wouldn't be sure who sent it.  After all, there must be a lot of these transfers happening now.  If I had to do it all over again, I'd put "UAB Virpil (Virpil Controls, EU)", since I think UAB Virpil is what their account seems to be listed under at that bank.

The next source of worry is that the order info says you have to show your Order Number as the "payment reference".  Well, there is no field for purchase number or anything like that, not even a note or additional info line.  So, I crossed my fingers and wrote "Order Number: #VPCEU-xxxxxxxxxx" in the "Last Name" field.

Then I had to choose the currency, and they say they want it in Euros, so I entered the amount shown on the order, and it automatically converted it to US dollars and cents.   After that I got to review the entire transaction, and hoping for the best, I hit send.

It gave me a transaction number, and also a way to track the progress.  That was a nice surprise.  I figured, if it doesn't go through, I'm no worse off.  My worst fear was that it WOULD go through, but the company would say that they didn't associate it with my order.  Still, I had a lot of transaction receipts and summaries that I had copies of, so that I was reasonably sure I could prove that I sent the money for that order.

About an hour later, I checked the status of the transaction.  It had already progressed about 3 steps....and it was Sunday!  That was encouraging news.

Round about 9:00 this morning, I checked my online banking for a withdrawal.  I wasn't really expecting anything.  It showed one made for the correct amount related to a "Xoom" debit.  Amazing!   Then I checked my email, and guess what? I had a Virpil invoice that said "Payment received 2019.03.18", with my order number on it.  Whew!  That went pretty well.  

So now I have "Estimated Dispatch Within 90 Days of Payment", although I seriously doubt it will be that long.  One thing I can also add, I chose the faster shipping through TNT Express Courier, not because of the speed, but because of the tracking ability....and it's expensive!   63.95 Euros ($72.45)!  As if the grip wasn't expensive enough!  Well, I could have chosen Lithuania Post, and it would have been around 23.00 Euros.  Takes longer too, but probably not that much longer.  It's something to think about.  

I hope if any of you guys are going to pre-order something, that there will be a more convenient way to do it by then.  Anyway in many weeks, I'll have my original grip version for sale (original box, etc.)  But if nobody wants it, I'll just keep it for a spare.  

Oh yeah.  It cost me $4.95 fee from Xoom to do that direct bank account transfer.  There was an option to use your credit card, and I think it was $7.95.

S!

#9 Britchot

Britchot

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,724 posts
  • LocationLancaster, CA

Posted 18 March 2019 - 07:21 PM

Welcome back to ‘90s era e-commerce.
  • Luftritter likes this

Britchot_R_tiny.png?dl=0

Britchot_O_tiny.png?dl=0

Britchot_FS_tiny.png?dl=0

"Es ist noch kein Meister vom Himmel gefallen."

#10 Vonrd

Vonrd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:37 PM

I had problems with payment in the past... my card kept getting denied and my bank insisted that there should be no issue. I was going to try a wire transfer but it was a $50 fee. I think I'm going to give Virpil a hard pass even though I would really like to get their base and stick. The situation needs someone in North America / USA to become an agent.

Posted Image

#11 Luftritter

Luftritter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 10:47 PM

Why not just go with TM Warthog?  I really think there's a majority here who use it, and if you checked, I predict most of them are very pleased with it.  Hell, the guys that beta-test the FC planes use it....what does that tell you?

If it wasn't for the "sticktion" issue with the base, I would have bought one myself.  However, they may have solved that issue a long time ago, for all I know.  One thing's for sure, I've seen videos on how to fix it, and yeah, there's some disassembly, some cleaning, some sanding, some lubrication....right up my alley.  If I had one, I know I could make it work and keep it working like it was intended to.  I also know you're at least as capable as I am Vonrd; very likely more so.

With regard to Virpil, I'm in for a penny, and in for a pound now.  Also, I don't mind waiting, and have been able to overcome these financial inconveniences.  None of this is an emergency.  But it is pretty expensive.  A lot of people consider TM Warthogs expensive (especially in the EU).  The difference between what I have and that is a lot less there, I would guess.  But for me it's more, and is maybe not worth it except to those who are willing to overlook the extra money.

I will say that every single time I've ordered something from Virpil, the process has been different.  This time is no exception; maybe that's just my bad luck.  Perhaps it's because the company is evolving or growing.  One thing I like about them is at least they give you a chance to order something; unlike VKB.  That company doesn't seem to care if you're ever able to get one of their products.  I will say that Virpil has never failed to give to me what I ordered, in what can only be considered a reasonable time period, considering the distance, and the demand for their products.  Also, they've never failed to answer in a timely manner, any support ticket that I've submitted, when I've been unsure of what was going on.  Beyond that, I've never heard any other customer of theirs say anything other than that they give very good customer support.

S!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users