Nvidia Insepctor setting improves VR 3-D

Gus

When they´ve found out about this setting here: BETTER 3d in VR ( greater depth ) I had applied it and the 3-D effect in VR was immediately improved, much more defined with better depth perception.

Recently I´ve update the Nvidia driver and after a few VR session, I had the feeling, that the image looked better before the driver update. It was like a bit washed out or blurry. Then remembered that setting in the Nvidia inspector, which was rejected after the driver updated, so applied again, as in the video below and 3-D became perfectly defined as before.

It´s just a 2-click-job after downloading Nvidia insepector with absolutely no downsides and the improvement is significantly ... at least for me.

Highly recommendable for VR. If you don´t see any improvement, then it must have another cause ... it´s working.

Hi Lip,

could you have checked out, if it works?

below I have attached the version of nvidiaProfileInspector I am using. There´s no need to install, just save it somewhere and execute to get into the adjustable settings.

The nvidia Profile Inspector is an official Nvidia tool, which exists for decades aside the official Nvidia drivers, so no worries it might be malware, a mod or something like that.

The setting described in the video above only affects the stereoscopic 3-D effect for VR and the Nvidia 3-D vision goggles. I think this setting in particular is there for the Nvidia 3-D vision goggles, but even the Nvidia goggles create the 3-D effect by shutter technology it does improve the 3-D effect for two distorted screens, like being used in  VR headsets. I would expect no effect for 2D monitor by this.

Don´t expect a milestone, but overall it is a nice and noticable improvement for VR with Nvidia graphic cards.  

nvidiaProfileInspector.exe

@Snaggle

Cool! I didn´t noticed so far that spotting is improved too. The difference is mostly visible to me in the cockpit, panels, gauges, but also hills and mountains in the distance... everything just pops out much better and gives a better perception of depth and 3-D geometry.

Recently the difference came to attention, when I was rearming at the apron and watched out to the many hangars along the taxiway. It really was a much better perception of depth from the closest hangar to the next and the next in a bit more distance.

I´m running too a Reverb G2 @100% render scale with a 3090 OpenXR 

9 hours ago, Gus said:

Hi Lip,

could you have checked out, if it works?

below I have attached the version of nvidiaProfileInspector I am using. There´s no need to install, just save it somewhere and execute to get into the adjustable settings.

The nvidia Profile Inspector is an official Nvidia tool, which exists for decades aside the official Nvidia drivers, so no worries it might be malware, a mod or something like that.

The setting described in the video above only affects the stereoscopic 3-D effect for VR and the Nvidia 3-D vision goggles. I think this setting in particular is there for the Nvidia 3-D vision goggles, but even the Nvidia goggles create the 3-D effect by shutter technology it does improve the 3-D effect for two distorted screens, like being used in  VR headsets. I would expect no effect for 2D monitor by this.

Don´t expect a milestone, but overall it is a nice and noticable improvement for VR with Nvidia graphic cards.  

nvidiaProfileInspector.exe 464.5 kB · 0 downloads

Gus,

Been using the application for years now, testing so far is positive. It is hard to get real results (measurable at times). Since OpenXR arrived, I've seen massive improvements.

S!

22 hours ago, Lipfert said:

Gus,

Been using the application for years now, testing so far is positive. It is hard to get real results (measurable at times). Since OpenXR arrived, I've seen massive improvements.

S!

I know, what you mean, but always trust my eyes more, than what I´ve read in the internet. For this case, the improvement by this setting in the Nvidia profile inspector is even more noticable in Elite Damgerous in VR. There are more, who say, they don´t see any difference, but I have no idea why. Maybe there is some setting elsewhere in the regular Nvidia driver or in the DCS graphics options which influences the effect ...

Have you seen the new setting in DCS, which came with the last patch yesterday?

In the DCS options settings you now could set "Monitor" to ´Stereo´. I´ve just done this and DCS really looks good in VR. Now I´m exactly at your point, that I can´t say, if it had looked really good before or if that new ´Stereo´ in DCS settings has got a noticable effect for VR 3-D stereoscopic presentation. Didn´t read anything about this ´stereo´setting so far. Need to try some on/off comparisons to get a better impression...

Did some on/off tests with the ´Stereo´ setting in VR. @Snaggle The setting in DCS graphics options/Monitor, we´ve talked about on saturday.

So, just took one time the F-16 over Nevada with one time set to "1 Monitor" and next time same scenario, same aircraft with set to "Stereo"

2nd test with the Hornet over Persian Gulf one time "1 Monitor" one time "Stereo".

Main question for me was: Am I a victim of my own illusions? 😄

What I was looking for, are clues, which obviously make a difference. Well, there are clues, I would say, but they are not such obvious.

Overall the image quality in VR with set to "Stereo" in the Monitor options appear better to me and also overall brighter and more clear! This was mostly obvious to me on the surfaces of the cockpit and commonly in the whole image. In particular I was flying with the Hornet from the airport at Dubai to the east. There is a wide flat area and a particular mountain in the far distance, which looks a bit like Ayer´s Rock in Australia. Now with the set to "1 Monitor" that mountain in the far distant at the horizon, most of the time appear blurry and washed out, until you are really close and have to pull up for not crash into it.

With set to "Stereo" that one particular mountain appeared much better contured from the distance and I could have seen differences in the textures, like dark and bright places on that mountain from far away.

Everything is much clearer and cleaner contured and the landscape overall appear more plastic to me, so yes, I would recommend to set the monitor to "Stereo" for VR.

That "stereo" setting also would make sense for VR only, as there´s no other thing, where it could be applicable. The shutter glasses for 3-D stereoscopic work with one distorted monitor image only in the way that each frame on the monitor is distorted from the next frame and so on, the glasses then shuts down left eye and right eye to black alternately, what in result creates a  3-dimensional image in the brain ( the monitor has to have at least 120Hz to make the image coming to the eyes appear smooth with 60Hz/ 60 FPS ).

The old green and red filtered paper glasses, like for 3-D movies in the 50´s, just filters out colors from one screen/one monitor to distort the image for each eye- so VR is the only technique, which makes use of two separated screens for 3-D stereoscopic view. In my conclusion that "stereo" setting in DCS is meant for improving VR only.

made a screenshot:

DCS_settings.JPG.aea7a1b2211a6b2936e0b611dcb4f43d.JPG

it´s in german, but I think you could read...

In OpenXR toolkit I´ve only set sharpening to 50% and reprojection default/on

Renderscale at 100% in OpenXR developer tool

After setting Monitor to Stereo, I now could very noticable see the textures of buidlings popping in, respectively seeing the buidlings more defined and less blurry from a distance but without textures in that distance... maybe need to increase the radius or scenery detail to balance out that texture popping in.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Lipfert said:

Kameraden,

It's been mentioned to me that VR users are disabling G-SYNC. Is this global or a headset setting?

S!

In a lot of VR tutorials for DCS, from a couple years ago, they all recommended killing G-Sync due to stutters and frame rate drop.  However, I have seen some recent posts that suggest some people have gotten it to work.

For example: 

However, I have no idea as to the results, as I’ve just left it off.