What are you guys listening to?

Klaiber

Wow, so far I thought I am the only one buying their records :-). There are really great songs coming with "Relaxer", but personally I would consider the first two albums more enjoyable as a whole album. "It´s all yours" is fantastic, as there are songs in it, which might appear unusual when hearing first, but the more you hear the better they get... something I love about music.

• 4 weeks later...

@Britchot and I were talking about country music the other day while playing Red Dead Online.

As a result, when my co-worker started playing the Marcus King Band in our work space, I thought that Brit might enjoy it.  It's basically good old fashion southern rock / blues rock.

Then I thought others might like it too.  So I'm posting here. 🤠

• 3 weeks later...

I´m always sceptic to bands which appear a little overdressed, but like the tribal sound inbetween... somehow meditativ. But in the middle of the song the guys ruined the song for me, when starting to sing/speak with a deeply faked voice, like the Black Metal singer used to have.

Apropos heavy metal ... do you know Catpower? Chan Marshall is a wonderful artist, unfortunately she ruined herself in her late career with alcohol and drugs, but her music still is wonderful.
One of my favourites songs and a good one to enter the music of Catpower is "Metal Heart"... wonderful lyrics, wonderful music. An early version of "Metal Heart" was released on one of her early albums "Moonpix", later she released a new and more intense version of "Metal Heart" on the album "Jukebox" which made the song more succesful. She don´t has any bad albums, they are all different and great.

In this context, the metal voice (called a Death Growl) is supposed to be like early Norse / Germanic singing, as well as be a tie in to modern death metal.

http://www.openculture.com/2018/10/origins-death-growl-metal-music.html

When Arab-Spanish Sephardi Jewish merchant Abraham ben Jacob first encountered the Vikings in Denmark, he had this to say:

"Never before I have heard uglier songs than those of the Vikings in Slesvig. The growling sound coming from their throats reminds me of dogs howling, only more untamed."

I really like Cat Power a lot.  I don't have any albums, but my wife plays Jukebox all the time.

@Gus, if you like more melodic music, you should check out Agnes Obel.  She's wonderful.

That sounds really beautiful. It just came to my mind, how much I´ve ignored good music in the last 10 years; rarely looked for buying new records. Music is such a great source for inspiration, leading into a self-reflecting state of mood.

... ´Death Growl´ ? So, there is a name for it :-))) Just tried to imagine Abraham Ben Jacob arriving in Denmark and a bunch of raw men with beards, long hair and leather clothes welcomed him with death growls.
Also very funny, that there was mentioned Tom Waits in the linked article :)))

Hope to meet you in one of the new sunday´s practice sessions. It´s really a much more convenient time to fly together over the continents.

On 2/4/2020 at 10:36 AM, Klaiber said:

In this context, the metal voice (called a Death Growl) is supposed to be like early Norse / Germanic singing, as well as be a tie in to modern death metal.

One of the drivers that we see regularly was in a hurry to get back home so he could go see these guys. (In Nashville of all places)

The Hu. Best I can describe them is a Mongolian heavy metal band.  On his next trip around he showed us some footage from the show, he claimed they were great live. They also use the "Throat" singing style.

Not really my thing... but I was impressed.

Glad you guys liked that. If you haven't yet, take a listen to "Wolf Totem". Pretty cool what they can do with "traditional" Mongolian instruments. ( I mean come on... 3 instruments, 7 strings??)

I've actually been listening to  "Tuba Skinny"  lately. Surprised myself but I found that I like 20's Jazz. (hey I'm nothing if not diverse😉)  They've been busking  on the streets of New Orleans for about 10 years now and are really just starting to get some recognition.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kameraden,

It's almost spring, we seem to have a bit of time on our hands as we are all wondering next steps. Seems like a perfect time for a bunch of old men to get together with a 1000 watt amp and have a blow out party. Velour by Sweatsedo in Vegas.

HzokZNr.jpg

I present "Music Poker Spring 2020" and suggest we have some fun picking songs that match the rounds (make a killer playlist). I have attached the rules, have fun with it.

S!

music poker 2020.pdf

I accept the challenge!  I love these music poker things.  Really makes me have to think.

Round 1, British Steel: Budgie - Panzer Division Destroyed

Round 2, Any RUSH tune: Rush - Xanadu

Round 3, Playmate + Hemi Cuda: Steely Dan - Do It Again

Round 4, California Dreaming: Pink Floyd - See Emily Play

Round 5, Cheech & Chong Song: Jesus Acosta & The Professionals - Guajida

Round 6, PROG: Gentle Giant - The Wreck

Round 7, Shut the F#@% Up: Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac - Albatross

Round 8, Girls, Women and Ladies: Sugarloaf - Green-Eyed Lady

Round 9, Songs of the South: Molly Hatchet - Flirtin' With Disaster

Round 10, We Gotcha Covered: The Cardigans - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (Black Sabbath cover)