What are you guys listening to?

Klaiber

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/25/2021 at 12:22 AM, Vonrd said:

This makes me wish I was a teen in the 90s. It's kinda how we felt in the late 60s. I suspect it's a universal feeling / concept for teens of any time period.

A co-worker and I had that discussion.  See below for more

On 8/25/2021 at 7:30 AM, Britchot said:

That was my period, it was nice.  I feel bad for those that didn't get the whole peace-time exposure of the 80s and 90s. 

Also my informative years. 

So my co-worker and I have a lot of discussions on music. He is mid 50's? I'm 43.  A conversation that I have had with him before is something that I either I read or saw. 

The basic premise is your taste in music is set during your teenage years. That is not to say you won't like new music it is just saying the new music you like will have something in common with the the stuff you grew up with. 

When we look back at the music we grew up with it reminds us of something while growing up.  For example Simply irresistible by Robert Palmer reminds me of swimming in the city pool. While Old Time Rock and Roll by Bob Seger was playing over the PA while getting of the school bus at County Stadium for my first Brewer game. Now when we hear something new its more than likely while doing something mundane such as work. You will never hear me say "I just love this song it reminds me of work."

Now going back to my coworker he said to me yesterday "I finally get why your generation gravitated to grunge. Hair metal sucks and grunge was kind of a big middle finger to 80's music."  He is right in a way, I did not care for hair metal but that was also when country music was starting to take off.  Over night it became popular with Garth Brooks and Billy Ray Cyrus.  I didn't get country then and I don't get it now. So given a choice my friends and I went with all forms of rock.

1 hour ago, Razwald said:

I didn't get country then and I don't get it now. 

I disdained country in my youth until I lived in the backwoods of north Georgia and North Carolina. Bluegrass then became one of my favorites and then I branched out into all of the stuff and fell in love with it. Still... 60s, 70s and 80s R&R remains my default go to.

I agree that the music of your formative years is what directs your taste but that doesn't mean that you are stuck with it. I try to listen to EVERYTHING. Opera still evades me as well as anything Autotune but I find myself captivated with stuff that I've disdained previously. I'm now drawn to Hip Hop as well as Disco (I would have shot anyone who said that in the 80s).

Have you seen the Ken Burns "Country Music" series? I thought it was exceptional (but he does seem to have a hard-on for Johnny Cash).

I got into country music only a couple years ago, while on travel for work. I’d find a syndicated station in almost every town with similar musicians and just listened to it while driving from the hotels to the airfields, thinking of home. Since I dropped SiriusXM, last year, I’ve been listening to terrestrial radio and the only rock stations play older music (a lot of Rush from the Canadian station, imagine that!) and the country ones play modern. I switch based on mood, now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2021 at 10:02 PM, Razwald said:

No I can't say that I have.

Thanks to Bugs Bunny my limited knowledge of opera is Wagner's Tannhauser  

I learned of Liszt, Wagner, Straus, Verdi, Rossini etc from cartoons. I think some of those guys were still alive then. 

• 4 weeks later...