Klaiber

What are you guys listening to?

"The Voodoo Origins of Rock'n'Roll"

In this post I do not offer tunes, but merely the printed word in their praise:

"That American music is rooted in Africa is a cliché, and clichés are useless. But to trace that root is a revelation." - Michael Ventura.

Now I'm just a dumb-ass white boy, but sometimes... sometimes, I know quality when I hear it.  
Alas, we no longer have Aretha. The Queen is dead! Long Live the Queen! She will move us for generations.

In that spirit, and in reverence to the root from which it sprang, may I present what I regard as a minor, but brilliant gem of journalism.

(I'm a bit keen on it, as you might guess.)

"Hear That Long Snake Moan" - A 32-page essay by Michael Ventura, from Shadow Dancing in the USA (Tarcher’s/St. Martin’s Press, 1985)  - out of print

(BTW: If your after out-of-print or hard to get books, check out www.abebooks.com - and it also comes in .ca and in .co.uk flavours)

You can download the essay in PDF format here:
https://kupdf.net/download/michael-ventura-hear-that-long-snake-moan_58fb80a3dc0d60e17a959e7e_pdf

For a survey of its tone and some of its salient points, you can also flip through a 20-slide online PowerPoint presentation here:
https://www.slideserve.com/diata/hear-that-long-snake-moan

As far as a squad member I've been out and about mostly golfing and trying to break 40. Its tough. So I haven't been around much.

Today I was in a outing for Children's Hospital but I could not keep out of my mind the outing I was in last week for Ronald McDonald House.

So last week we only had three guys for a four man scramble my friend knew one of the other teams. They had a fifth guy who wanted to play so he said we would take him.

We are in our 40's had a radio going, yes I know a radio on a golf course. Not my thing even though I'm a music guy, but don't mind as long as we respect other golfers.

So where am I going with this. We where playing some Van Halen and the gentleman who joined us was an older retired guy. He jokingly said do you guys have any Frank (Frank Sinatra). My friend brought up Fallout Radio on Google Play.

We had the link on two speaker one in each cart. On one of the tee boxes there was a weird delay echo from the two speakers off the trees. For those who have played the game it reminded me of going into a house and you get a weird delay from your radio and the radio in the room. I joked "I'm just waiting for the super mutants to crash through the trees."

The best was an hour into it the guy asked, "these are all from a video game." He loved it.

So here are two gems

Last year, when one of the college students I work with was going on an archaeological dig to Turkey, I recommend he check out 1970s Turkish Psychedelia.  Specifically Sor Kendine by Ersen:

So, he came back, and inspired by Ersen, recommended King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard (an Australian neo-psychedelic band) to me.  And all I can say is WOW!

This is LIVE!

And now for something completely different...

This actually came up on my "Jam Bands" Pandora station  one day at work ,  :huh: caught me by surprise coming in between The Allman Bros, Dead, Phish and Moe, but I was hooked. 

They're definitely not for everyone, but if you like genuine Appalachia blue grass (Fiddle, Banjo and percussion section consisting of a jug and "spoons") I think you'll enjoy them. 

I've also found that Rhiannon Giddens, (playing Banjo in the video), has some pretty good solo stuff too.

You know what I love about the flight sim community?  The fact I can find people who listen to the same groovy old music. Organ Trio +5.   Seriously, try to find that in the FPS crowd.

Well, apart from all the usual 70s Prog/Psych/Funk I listen to, check out Nigerian Psychedelic Rock.  Obscure, and gettin it. 

EDIT: Also, I didn't know about this until recently, but downloading from youtube has become very simple.  Lots of stuff I couldn't otherwise get without a lot of effort on Youtube.

https://y2mate.com/youtube/

Thanks to those recruits that elect to be inducted into all three squadrons at once, this song pops into my head:

I once saw an off-Broadway performance of Cabaret with an amazing actor playing "Emcee".  His performance rivaled Joel Grey, in my opinion. 

Thanks to those recruits that elect to be inducted into all three squadrons at once, this song pops into my head:

I once saw an off-Broadway performance of Cabaret with an amazing actor playing "Emcee".  His performance rivaled Joel Grey, in my opinion. 

So, who is JG1's Emcee?...   ;)

More Anatolian rock from the 1960s:

Selda is very influential, both in Turkey and internationally.  For example, she's been sampled by both Dr. Dre (Issues) and Mos Def (Supermagic).

It's actually really interesting to see how two artists can take the same original and do two different things with it.  Music stuff like this always fascinates me.

Sampling in general is interesting, but I never like it as much as the original thing.  Ten years ago I worked in an office, and a coworker was playing some local San Francisco DJ's mixes, and I caught a flute arpeggio from Jethro Tull repeating.  On the Aqualung album, I can't remember which song.  And I said, "Hey, I know that flute bit, you like that? I'll send you the song."  She loved it.  Young people today don't seem to grasp that "old music" was written by young folks, groovin out. 

I think I realized I joined the right Squadron when I saw this thread and all the cool old music yall are into.  :D

Scandinavia has been a music hotspot for decades, so...Ruphus!

Scandinavian is interesting in that the later 70s stuff incorporates funk and disco in a subtle way that makes it work.  If you go back down the album list, it makes sense. 

I dunno why that youtube thing calls it Krautrock.  This is NOT Krautrock.  But it is still a smooth groove.  I'm into the Flying Colours album.  EDIT ( I guess it is just another case of Germany wanting to own Norway lol)

1974's "Ranshart" (hahah hah hah AH HAH) is more of an earlier prog rock album:

Basically, the year of the album gives you a good clue what is going on with Ruphus.  Sorta like how Camel changed drastically between 1975 and 1980.