What are you guys listening to?

Klaiber

11 hours ago, Vonrd said:

Rick Springfield really surprised me in this acoustic version.

He mentioned his old band Zoot in the interview.  Zoot surprised me honestly with how good they were.  Their cover of Eleanor Rigby, for example, is amazing.

I posted it here back in 2019:

https://forum.jg1.org/topic/2038-what-are-you-guys-listening-to/?do=findComment&comment=48282

6 hours ago, Razwald said:

I like to think in an alternate universe I'm enjoying the Peter Green Fleetwood Mac that could have been.

Peter Green was a genius.  And while I enjoy some post-Green Fleetwood Mac, it saddens me that his talent and vision was eclipsed by Rumours and everything that came after.  I often wonder what would have happened if Peter Green hadn't succumb to his illness.

Either way, for me, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac is the most pure version of that band.

In the last few years I started to like Fleetwood Mac a lot. There was some Fleetwood Mac around in my youth in the 80´s, 90´s but it never attracted to me in this period. I think you either have to grow up with Fleetwod Mac from the beginning or grow into when being more aged.
... the sound of my youth was more like this 😁

5 hours ago, Klaiber said:

There are definitely two Fleetwood Macs, just as there are two bands called Genesis.

I've heard it described as the Ship of Theseus paradox in band form.

😁 That´s funny, but more than Fleetwood Mac is like The Ship of Theseus, I would add, that reality is determined by words and language. How would we call Fleetwood Mac, if not Fleetwood Mac? Also, ´panta rhei´ ( Heraklit ) does have a more scientific view on Fleetwood Mac, as it could be interpreted and prooven to be true on a molecular- and even atomic level of reality, where Fleetwood Mac is in a constant dynamic movement by electrons, neutrons and protons constantly moving around the atomic core of Fleetwod Mac.  

... but Genesis was never the same since Peter Gabriel left. 😄

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Aaaahh Atomic Blonde.

Not bad as a movie.

What was nore interesting for me is the West Berlin set it plays in.

It was quite well done in my opinion.

Not sure if anyone here visited West Berlin when there was still DDR and The Wall but I did.

In summer of 1988. Just a year before the end of DDR.

I was 14 and that was first visit in the West for me.

As you can imagine the whole thing was quite surreal for me.

You got in the U-bahn in the east then there was a U- bahn station with border crossing and suddenly you are in the west.

If you continue with the U-Bahn you drive under west berlin and end in east again.

Crazy city.

Yeah, "Atomic Blonde" is a great movie. Me also loved the secret agent story in the setting of East/West Berlin at that time.

I was quite young, around 14 too, when we visited relatives in East Berlin before the wall fell. We went by car over Checkpoint Charly.

Surreal is a perfect description! While West Berlin is quite modern, you passed the border and drove through old empty streets in east Berlin with buildings in which the bullet holes from world war 2 are still present.

Later my father explained to me, that the U-Bahn is constantly full of StaSi employees an IMs incognito, watching every step of each one traveling with the U-Bahn. 

Charlize Theron as an action-star is just WOW! There is a spectacular fighting scene in the end, which is shot in one take, no cuts!, what makes it incredible intense on the screen. So far I only saw, that they have done this in "Ong Bak 2".

• 1 month later...

I got introduced to early Americana music when I was living in Appalachia (Spruce Pine, NC) in the eighties and fell in love with it. I was lucky to see Doc Watson and his son Merle play together. Recently, I've been watching David Holt's State of Music on PBS and highly recommend it! He showcases many great contemporary Americana / Bluegrass musicians and the musical scenes are wonderful. Here's one: