Red Star vs White Star

Gothkrieger

Is there any way to have a American, British plane set fly against Russian plane set (even if it had to be Germans flying Russian planes to obviously make them join in combat.  Ideally a Coop mission situation.  Some way of doing an Allied against German but Germans flying Russian planes.  Looks like some settings will affect all missions generated in the future, I don't want Germans always flying Russian planes in every case.

Squads fly planes assigned to them by the campaign designer via the mission template file (normandy41.mis and the like). Simply change the "Class air" value of German squads for anything you find appropriate, e.g.

[i_JG200]
  Planes 4
  Skill 2
  Class air.BF_109F2
  Fuel 100
  weapons default

[i_JG200]
  Planes 4
  Skill 2
  Class air.LAGG_3SERIES4
  Fuel 100
  weapons default

You should have a DCG folder somewhere, and a "Masters" sub-folder inside. There are plenty of files with the .mis extension. They are simple text files, you can edit them with a text editor like WordPad (if you are experienced). Or you can copy them to your Il-2/Missions/Single folder, from where you can open and edit them using the in-game Full Mission Builder. Don't forget to copy them back to DCG/Masters after editing.

Got it.  Strange, I thought I looked in there before!!!!!! Cheap drugs I guess.

So if I modify the planes in westgermany45.mis with other plane settings can I save it as westgermany45b.mis to I can keep the original one intact? 

Would it show up in the list of missions to choose from when starting a new campaign/coop?

Are there any restrictions on plane choices?  Like can I assign any plane in the latest HSFX install??

How do I determine the proper syntax for plane identification?  Is it listed someplace?   
Example, SPITFIRE9E is used for Spitfire IX e.

DCG is extremely customizable, but at the same time extremely complex, and it requires a lot of experience (and learning). There are excellent guides for mission designers on Lowengrin's site, if you're really interested. What you can still do without that much work:

If a plane is non-flyable (AI) in the stock game, AND flyable in HSFX, then you can make it flyable in "Aircraft Class Settings". If it's not included in the stock game (not even as an AI), then you can't use it without much hacking. HSFX-specific planes are marked with an asterisk in HSFX. Don't use them in DCG.

DCG uses "internal names" to identify planes (as does the game itself). These are different from their "display names". If you save a Spitfire IX e in the Full Mission Builder, and look at the file, you'll see it's named SPITFIRE9E. There's a complete list in [YourHSFXInstall]\Files\i18n\plane.properties.

If you modify a .mis file, the easiest way to retain the original is to make a backup copy of the original file. There are several other ways, but this is the simplest. And if your files get screwed, simply remove and reinstall DCG.