Ilya Muromets Flight-Sim by 1C

Klaiber

New announcement from Jason Williams regarding an Eastern Front sim, made by 1C Game Studios (which is basically 777), in cooperation with the Russian Military Historical Society:

http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=41772

Here is a direct link to the game's webpage:

http://ilyamuromets.net/

And it's features:

http://ilyamuromets.net/forum/topic/3-about-game/

Really? They haven't finished BoS and are already trying to find new ways to get more money from us.

Why make it a standalone game when it could be implemented into RoF as a new map, new aircrafts and a new campaign.

And now all games have early access, how about delivering a finished product before starting to sell it?

I'm very disappointed.  For the ROF community, this project just seems like double dipping.

While I of course understand that there are different backers for this new project, I don't understand why it can't be added to Rise of Flight as an add-on...

Either way, here's an overview of what I've read so far:

The planned release date for Ilya Muromets (IM) is Q4 2014 with the Early Access program starting August 1st.

The IM project has been primarily funded by the Russian Military Historical Society.

777 / 1C Game Studio (which I guess are now the same thing) have designed this sim while simultaneously working on the Battle of Stalingrad (BOS).  So I guess very little has been done recently to ROF.

However, rather than having the BOS engine, IM will have the same engine as ROF.

Also, IM will have no career mode or anything that we'd see as a "new feature".

The only things that IM will give us (that we don't currently have) is 1 extra aircraft (the Ilya Muromets) and 1 new map (the Ternopol-Chernovtsy-Stanislav region).

Everything else is just a copy of ROF, save for the controls.

The IM has been designed for a new control option that allows the mouse and keyboard to fly the aircraft.  This is supposed to allow more casual simmers to fly IM.

It seems like an attempt to appeal to "War Thunder" gamers.

Either way, regarding the Ilya Muromets, this is the same build that was created by the community modder Korontari last year:

777 / 1C Game Studio purchased Korontari's build and finished it to their current specs.

Additionally, as you can already guess, the "Austrian" Alb D.III mentioned in the write-up will be the same D.III we currently have in ROF.

That said, IM is truly a stand-alone.  There are no plans to ever integrate either the Ilya Muromets or the Ternopol map into ROF.

And regarding the future development of ROF:

ROF2, only mentioned in posts by Zak with zero details, will supposedly have the features and improvements of Battle of Stalingrad.

However, there is no indication that ROF2 is in development.  It can't even be called vaporware, as it hasn't even been officially announced yet.

Additionally, after the Hanriot aircraft is released for ROF (sometime this summer), 777 is going to assess what they're going to do with the ROF sim.

Based on Jason Williams' statement that "as products get older the return on investment fades", I would say it doesn't look good.  Which is a shame because I bought their add-on products in order to fund new ROF content.

Agree...

In my opinion, RoF expire after the release Hanriot. A year there is no effort to improve RoF. Although Williams claimed at the beginning of the RoF would not have to work BoS, the opposite is true, and he let this great simulator to die. RoF was last year alive thank to community, not for 1C, 777 or Jason Williams.

About the new game Ilja Muromec... Hm, I think that for the players from RoF is stupid to buy this product IM when they get only one new aircraft from eight (seven are from "old" Rise of Flight). Because they already have all other types. Overall, it seems to me that it is only pulling money from players. 

To tell you the truth, I'm starting to have serious concerns about the BoS too. For a few weeks should be out OpenBeta - but BoS is not yet in a condition that he not be identified either as prealfa. I never thought that it ever say this, but thank God (and the Team Fusion) for IL2: COD. And if i close one eye - for DCS too.

There was a post on the Rise of Flight boards that I liked a lot.

It was from someone named BigQ, in reference to Jason Williams' statement about how "products get older [and] the return on investment fades".

http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?p=602428&f=2#p602428

BigQ said:

I think you just miss the point and definition of a "product"... [People] bought [ROF] because they were counting on real content... because they understood how difficult [it] is to deliver [a] complete thing in one release. You probably think that creating [and] selling payable addons, planes etc was doing us a big favour. No! Buying them was doing you a favour so you could keep it running...

We all speak with our money.  And our continued investment into Rise of Flight has been our way of telling Jason Williams and 777 that we'd like to see more of ROF.

If 1C-777 no longer want to support ROF, then that's fine.  It's their choice.

But, like BigQ, I dislike the inference from Jason Williams that 1C-777 has been doing us a huge favor at the cost of their profit.

We specifically bought ROF products to keep ROF in profit.  It's not our fault that they've spread their resources thin with new projects.

Agree...

In my opinion, RoF expire after the release Hanriot. A year there is no effort to improve RoF. Although Williams claimed at the beginning of the RoF would not have to work BoS, the opposite is true, and he let this great simulator to die. RoF was last year alive thank to community, not for 1C, 777 or Jason Williams.

About the new game Ilja Muromec... Hm, I think that for the players from RoF is stupid to buy this product IM when they get only one new aircraft from eight (seven are from "old" Rise of Flight). Because they already have all other types. Overall, it seems to me that it is only pulling money from players. 

To tell you the truth, I'm starting to have serious concerns about the BoS too. For a few weeks should be out OpenBeta - but BoS is not yet in a condition that he not be identified either as prealfa. I never thought that it ever say this, but thank God (and the Team Fusion) for IL2: COD. And if i close one eye - for DCS too.

+1 on everything

Wait, so 777 is trying to build and sell a completely "new" game around 1 new plane and a map?  What they need to do is add 6 or 7 new planes and 2 new maps and sell it as a mod-pack, not...this dumbf***ery. 

I used to wish we had a new sim to replace IL-2 1946 and re-unite the WW2 simmer community.  Now there's no shortage of WW2 sims, especially the arcadie shit, but no one is sticking with their product.  The great thing about IL-2 is that it was all-encompassing, but it didn't happen overnight.  If I have to buy 4 or 5 games for $60 a pop to get a game like 1946 with CLoD level detail I'll effing do it as long as they're compatible.

Until 1C-777 pulls their heads out of where the sun don't shine I like and trust them about as much as I do Congress...

This is seriously depressing.

The sim community just wants a good product and we're willing to support whoever will do that, but we also see when we're being used or played.  And this is a small community to mess with.  

That being said, I'm putting my eggs into the DCS basket and always with the modders in CLoD, considering 1946 was good but the modders made it GREAT!

S!

I think this is a point of view problem. 

Anyone been to the Air and Space museum in Washington D.C.? They have what looks like an arcade game where you try and land on a moving carrier that has an angled deck. NOT the easiest thing to do.

The Russian Military Historical society asked 777 "what can you do with the IM for us in a way that would be open to the general public?"  The model was built by a community member and only slightly modified by 777. 777 modded the controls on a few planes so you could fly them with a mouse.  They used mostly spare parts,  slapped this together and shoved it out the door.  Kinda like the Porsche 924. It was the best Audi Porsche ever made out of a used Volkswagen. The only Porsche parts were the seats.

The IM is not for RoF. Although I would like to see the plane in the air, I will not buy the game.  Game? In this day and age, it sounds more like an I-phone app.

The Hanriot is supposed to be out in July. Sure hope they  do a paint pack. RoF will have no other development until BoS is up and Running. Eventually they will retrofit some BoS things to RoF. BOLO for RoF 2. Present RoF people will be allowed to upgrade for a small barrel of Rubles. Otherwise it will be sold for about $60.

Not a good outlook at all.

I do not believe BoS will ever have the capabilities in the mission building department to be used for Ghost skies. CloD has much better prospects. 

Eye candy alone does not a good flight sim make.  CSF 1,2,3  , European Air war 

jmho

An update from Jason Williams that I found in a thread where Lee and Butzzell had both commented:

Guys,

There is NO ROF2 in the works. English is not Zak's native language. He should have used the word "would" not "will". If there is ever a ROF2 we'll let you know in due course, but as of now there is no ROF2 under development.

Jason

• 1 month later...

I just noticed that Geezer posted his thoughts about the Ilya Muromets project here:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3989338/Holy_Sh*t,_IL_Mo_is_worth_20_b#Post3989338

While I definitely understand the excitement regarding new WW1 content, I still stand by my earlier posts.

I don't completely understand why this couldn't be added to Rise of Flight as the "Russian Military Historical Society" expansion pack.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an official statement from Jason Williams of 777:

http://ilyamuromets.net/forum/topic/48-why-not-rof-add-answer-inside/

To everyone who may be confused or uninformed,

Ilya Muromets is a standalone product separate from ROF, but it uses the ROF engine. Why you ask? There are several reasons.

1. Because the Russian Military Historical Society funded its development so they deserve a standalone product and not simply an add-on to ROF.
2. Also, we are going to experiment with mouse-control and we did not want to upset the play balance if we got it wrong with ROF, so as a standalone we have a chance to experiment.
3. It also helped with media that this was a standalone product and not an add-on to a 5 year old sim.
4. And it helps with retail buyers and digital websites.

Bonus Question: Why the ROF engine and not the BOS engine?
Answer: Because we had limited time and budget and the ROF engine is geared for WWI physics and the GUI is complete. Easier to bring to market and still keep the ROF look and feel we like for WWI.

Some friendly advise. If you want to play Western Front play ROF. If you want Eastern Front launch IM. Simply think of it as a part of the ROF universe with a separate .exe.

This was an unforeseen positive opportunity for us as a studio, so we jumped at the chance to make this product and work with our RHMS partner whose idea it was to build this sim. We should be happy any third party organization wishes to invest in such a niche project about World War One.

Fly and have fun!

Jason