Flanders in Flames XXIIa – AAR

J99*Hardy

Looks like you had an exciting session. Good for you! Your first group passed right over us (a large group of Rolands). Later, you went past us again, as we were engaging your friends near Ankjzobov, in order to secure the ship target! All of us stuck to our main missions and had a lot of fun.

Salute, Hardy!

Please limit recordings.  It's not just your computer that is effected.  RoF recorders will drag down on the server, don't ask me why, our server gurus can confirm this.  We need to try to keep recordings at any one time to a low number.

This isn't like recording in IL2.  RoF screwed something up when they set it up, probably tied the recorder into the master server some way.

Exciting read Hardy!

Question; Are you able to record the whole mission in ROF? Every time I try, it stops about halfway through. I have plenty of hard drive space.

No, just recorded some interesting 10-15 minutes.

Please limit recordings.  It's not just your computer that is effected.  RoF recorders will drag down on the server, don't ask me why, our server gurus can confirm this.  We need to try to keep recordings at any one time to a low number.

This isn't like recording in IL2.  RoF screwed something up when they set it up, probably tied the recorder into the master server some way.

Sounds strange. 

During the mission I always have a look at server and network performance and never noticed any alarming values. Network is always below 5% and CPU usage around 3% all the time, Memory consumption always about 3.5-4.0GB and no significant HD operations. But I'll have a closer look on it. Thanks for the hint anyway.

What I may imagine is, that the client requests some additional information from the server about things that are going on out of sight of your own surroundings.

I do think it's important for us to chronicle FIF, so I really like Hardy's blog a lot.  It's fun, well written, and great public relations for FIF, and ROF in general. :)

So, I hope that he'll keep recording his engagements.  Even if we have a moratorium on everyone else due to ROF instability.

I do think it's important for us to chronicle FIF, so I really like Hardy's blog a lot.  It's fun, well written, and great public relations for FIF, and ROF in general. :)

So, I hope that he'll keep recording his engagements.  Even if we have a moratorium on everyone else due to ROF instability.

Thank you Klaiber for your kind words. I hope my English is not too lousy since I never had a better grade then a D at school. 

However, as I said, I don't record the whole mission. Starting and stopping recording during flight is mapped to a button on my Stick, so it's convenient to switch it on only for a few seconds / minutes.

S!

I think the recording problem is not a server capacity or network issue.  It probably has to do with the RoF program itself running on the server. Possibly not the best piece of programming.

This sounds very strange to me -- does someone have documented proof of this?  Not that I'm doubting anyone here, but I know on our Tuesday Night Fly-In sessions, several folks record many of the "events" and I've never noticed any performance issues, that I could trace to the recordings specifically. To be sure, there are usually only a dozen people in that mission, rather than the 40-50 we're seeing in FiF, but this is the first I've even heard about any recording issue.

If someone has links to posts about this on 777's forum, I'd be interested on reading up on it.

Thank you Klaiber for your kind words. I hope my English is not too lousy since I never had a better grade then a D at school. 

However, as I said, I don't record the whole mission. Starting and stopping recording during flight is mapped to a button on my Stick, so it's convenient to switch it on only for a few seconds / minutes.

I agree with Klaiber and I'm very glad you're documenting the campaign, Hardy -- your AAR's have been very entertaining to read, and your English is excellent.  If you wouldn't mind, I will offer two, very minor, corrections for your consideration.

1.  Use "safe" instead of "save" --- "After my plane's engine failed, I managed to make a safe landing in a farmer's field".

2.  The engine cutout switch is a  blip switch, rather than a  blib  switch.

That said, the meaning in your AAR was very clearly understood, and rest assured, your English is better than several "native speakers" I have encountered over the years.  Please keep up the excellent work!

Regards,

4 <S!>

S!  Hardy your a good pilot and a good writer.

You shot down one of my pilots (well 2 it turns out) so I needed to protect my flight from you.  Once I felt I had you firmly away from the bomber I told everyone else to focus on the bomber for that purpose as well as just getting the bomber.

You know it's so hard to tell when those S-16s are damaged.  Without the server confirming your engine was dead I thought you might be making a ruse to escape,  So I added insurance to your staying on the ground.  Then I circled expecting you to despawn, but you didn't.  Noting your proximity to my base and that you were in "capture territory", I thought you might decide to sit there and provide intelligence on local movement.  So I felt the need to remind you how warmly welcome you are in our territory. :)

Thanks for the pictures.  It helps when propagandizing the Frauleins.