Anybody have experience with Arma 3?

J5_Hotlead

I'm thinking about venturing into the world of first-person shooters and am considering purchasing Arma 3. https://arma3.com/

Does anybody here have experience in the Arma series? If so, would you mind answering a few questions I have about it? 

I have 3 younger brothers who watch me a lot, so would Arma 3 be appropriate content-wise for them to see? I'd be the only one playing it, but they often look over to see what I'm doing on my PC. 

Here's what I'm looking for in a shooter:

- No zombies, aliens, or sci-fi storylines

- Realistic military action, more towards simulation than arcade

- No excessive profanity (some's probably inevitable, but not every other word)

- No excessive gore (who needs to see guts, brains, and entrails?)

- No torture or super-dark storylines 

- No gangsta-type games. I want military! :ph34r:

Any input would be appreciated.  :)

S! 

- Hotlead

ARMA 3 is, in my personal opinion, the most realistic ground force simulator out there. My military history includes time in the Airborne Infantry and Long Range Surveillance in addition to what I work with now. The helicopter flight model is also highly realistic. The makers also put out Take on Helicopters and they used a lot of that game's flight model in ARMA. Of course, there is a simple flight model but I bet you won't be satisfied with that one.

if you have TrackIR or equivalent, it will ruin you for all other FPS games, freely looking where you want while keeping the weapon forward is amazing. It is a little tricky to learn but once you do, you'll curse games like Skyrim, Red Orchestra, Call of Duty, etc. for not having it.

The single player storyline does have vulgar language, no more than any military movie out there but be warned. I haven't finished the storyline but I don't recall any torture. Rest all your other concerns, they aren't in this game.

Well, there are some multiplayer modes where you can be a "gangsta" and cultivate drugs and smuggle on the island, however you can also be a cop. Multiplayer games are fun but keep in mind, there are plenty of trolls that may go off on a rant.

Use the search in this forum and the private general forum and you will find some chatter amongst us who play ARMA.

S!

Although I don't have it, I agree 100% with Britchot. Unfortunately Arma is too expensive for me because currency exchange.

I usually play Red Orchestra  and Verdun. They are far away from Arma but are what I could got for now.

Gen,

What servers and mods have you found decent success with?  I've poked around a few of the modded servers trying to weed out some of the trolls but I've found the drop in population to be too severe.  My favorite being the 15th MEU.

Thanks for any insight,

Brit

Ok guys...you convinced me. Just downloaded ARMA 3 on Steam. My first discovery is that I can't hit spit with my machine gun. In the training I'm supposed to knock down a drone with a machine gun. No luck. I tried explaining to my officer that I'm an expert in air-to-air machine gunnery, but he didn't seem all that impressed. :lol:

I expected a learning curve, so I'll just keep at it. ;)

It definitely has a learning curve.  The AI are some of the most cunning opponents I've seen in a computer game, next to well coordinated players.  They will flank and maneuver on you.  Oh, don't expect their aim to be like Star Wars stormtroopers, they will hit you.  Definitely learn how to use cover and concealment.

My steam username is trevortranchina 

I've got apparently about 574 hours into ArmA 3. It meets/exceeds the OP listed requirements. 

As far as zombies, that's the DayZ (ArmA zombie branch game) but you can pretty much ignore it. 

WRT profanity. most public servers have a TeamSpeak server to go along side and it's pretty well community policed. Shouldn't have much of a problem there. 

As far as my personal presence, I am all for the modded servers, but I always have issues with mods, and when Britchot tries to walk me through, I get frustrated with the whole process. The whole modding thing is beyond my patience level. When I have time to play I just want to jump on and play, not mess with files. 

Be that as it may, I'm all about The Division at the moment, which fails most of the criteria listed above, to wit: excessive profanity, gore, dark storylines (I mean it gets really dark, it escalates quickly), and it's thoroughly unrealistic. I love it to pieces. 

Don't fall for Trev's lovelorn outlook!  

Comparing ArmA III to The Division is like apples and oranges.  Yes, they are both shooters but The Division is an RPG with hitpoints and skill trees.  

That said, I'm excited to play it.  It looks like a truly successful shooter MMORPG.

Hello Hotlead,

As you have seen it is a very good game. Alot of depth. Of course I've only played in the SP mode but in Steam have 700+ hours. Some of it SP Mission making in the editor. Once you get into the game check out the Mission Editor. You can do alot in it. One example I made was a Recon Team inserted from off shore. Their mission was to patrol a certain route to the extract point. They were not to be spotted and all observed contacts were to be dealt with via supporting arms. Triggers were set up for weather and time changes and if sighted by opfor random artillery or flares would announce their compromise. All contacts were random via scripts either patrols, location garrison or both. So you could see it can be very detailed.

Hope you enjoy.

V/R

Don't fall for Trev's lovelorn outlook!  

Comparing ArmA III to The Division is like apples and oranges.  Yes, they are both shooters but The Division is an RPG with hitpoints and skill trees.  

That said, I'm excited to play it.  It looks like a truly successful shooter MMORPG.

Don't get me wrong, I love both games. I love DCS, too. Right now The Division is the new hotness and it has all my attention  but ArmA and DCS fill specific needs game-wise.