VR Setting in DCS

Karl Spackler

Does this VR stuff ever make you guys nauseous?

Also, do you consider it an advantage over TIR?

The first night I had Oculus, I got nauseous was driving the dune buggy on a 0.1G planet in Elite Dangerous. It happened within 30 seconds of trying to drive around and bouncing in unpredictable ways that my vestibular system could not correlate with what I was seeing. I was nauseous for days after that. I got over it and acclimated and now it's no problem at all. 

I also get sick on any kind of ride when the motion doesn't match what I'm seeing. For instance, I vividly recall at Busch Gardens this things where there's a big screen and there's video of something zooming around and the entire audience is on a shake table and the shaking doesn't match up very well with the visuals. I was nauseous for an hour after that. I was fine by the time we got to the Big Bad Wolf though...

Roller coasters are great because like flying you can look through the turn and everything syncs up correctly. It's the half-a&S@d stuff that messes me up. 

Back to VR though. Yeah it's freakin awesome. I did make myself nauseous once flying the Hog and once flying the Gazelle, both in 2.0 on the Nevada map where the video was not great (DCS fault, not the Oculus). Again that was very early on and I acclimated. No worries. 

The tea cup ride at Disney made me puke once, I am very susceptible, so take it for what it's worth. I love my Oculus.

As far as advantage over TIR, it's a 100-fold improvement in immersion and feel in flying. Disadvantage - the relatively low resolution vs. a 4K monitor is well known and well documented.  

....I also get sick on any kind of ride when the motion doesn't match what I'm seeing....I am very susceptible, so take it for what it's worth....  

Me too!!  Have gotten air sick on C-141 rides with no windows and maneuvering to drop paratroops, and also on helicopter rides on very turbulent days, and have been on the verge on ocean swells (thank God for alcohol)  Also on one VR experience, Aladdin's Magic Carpet Ride at Downtown Disney in Orlando.

Thanks for the synopsis, I would want it to be a gaming advantage over TIR; I guess I wouldn't sacrifice that aspect for immersion alone, although that's always nice to have.  S!

I enjoy it in games like DCS and ED, where visual acquisition is secondary to sensors.  The feeling is awesome and you can sense the ground rushing up at you when you make a high alpha mistake in the M2kC, for example. 

In BoX, I plan on playing a campaign in it while streaming, it's awesome!  However, picking up contacts far away is difficult due to the screen door effect.  I wouldn't risk a tournament on it, at this point.

My long term plan is to build a second gaming rig by the time the 2nd generation VR headsets release and offer my kids gunner slots in multi-crew aircraft. Sure, it will cost a bit for the second copy but it will totally be worth it!

Me too!!  Have gotten air sick on C-141 rides with no windows and maneuvering to drop paratroops, and also on helicopter rides on very turbulent days, and have been on the verge on ocean swells (thank God for alcohol)  Also on one VR experience, Aladdin's Magic Carpet Ride at Downtown Disney in Orlando.

Thanks for the synopsis, I would want it to be a gaming advantage over TIR; I guess I wouldn't sacrifice that aspect for immersion alone, although that's always nice to have.  S!

I enjoy it in games like DCS and ED, where visual acquisition is secondary to sensors.  The feeling is awesome and you can sense the ground rushing up at you when you make a high alpha mistake in the M2kC, for example. 

In BoX, I plan on playing a campaign in it while streaming, it's awesome!  However, picking up contacts far away is difficult due to the screen door effect.  I wouldn't risk a tournament on it, at this point.

My long term plan is to build a second gaming rig by the time the 2nd generation VR headsets release and offer my kids gunner slots in multi-crew aircraft. Sure, it will cost a bit for the second copy but it will totally be worth it!

When VR resolution and frame rate truly equals or surpasses that of the human eye (4K, 45 fps or better, no stuttering and no screen door or fresnel artifact) then there'll be no going back. Track IR's problematic in that I've never found good settings for the movement so it's always lurchy. The IR camera catches and loses the dots on the trackclip if I turn my head too much. It doesn't like it if I get too close. And so on....

Plus, I'm sitting in a chair looking at a screen, and I know it. I don't feel surrounded by the environment. My sense of situational awareness and my sense of my place in the scale of things is next to nonexistent in comparison. Everything is trapped in the confines of that screen. It's the potential for immersion that supplies information to my innate sense of timing, and distance that makes all the difference.. If that makes any sense...