Advice when changing call sign "Profile" in ROF ?

Sturtz

Saving all plane's controls and the response settings to file is a must , as I found out early on making a slight edit to my game name.

Just wondering if there are other factors to watch out for when doing this ?

Thanks in advance  !

~S~

Hi Sturtz,

I'm glad you posted this. Someone may have a better answer than what I gave you over email.

As I said there, there is no way to rename a profile in ROF.

However, I think you might be able to copy over your profile controls and such, and share them between profiles.

I'm hoping someone here might have some more information.

If I recall, other than the controls, I think you don't have to worry too much about anything else. It's been a looong time (well...long for young guys like me lol!) since I last changed my profile. (Used to fly under "Rookie Ace" until I joined JG1 in 2015). 

My advice? Create a new profile and test stuff out in Quick Mission. That will tell you pretty quickly whether all your settings (graphics, audio, controls etc.) need to be re-programmed or whether some of them carried over. 

If you run into any issues, let us know. We'll muddle through it and get it solved.  :)

Been a while for me as well but it's ALWAYS a good idea to back up your input file which has your controls / responses... "C:\Program Files (x86)\Rise of Flight\data\input". If you have space... back up the whole shebang... that's what I do with an external drive.

Win 10 has been screwing with my Joystick assignments lately and I'm glad I backed up this file.

Also, It's a good idea to occasionally delete this file:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Rise of Flight\data\Multiplayer\Dogfight"

Especially if you're having Disco problems. This file can get HUGE. Deleting it has no affect except that the initial load of a server, for example New Wings, will take just a bit longer. All subsequent log-ins will be shorter.

I try to do it monthly, but I have been delinquent and it was up to 80 Meg. 

The only detriment is if you want to load one of the maps that you have flown... all maps are recorded in this file. You can always save them in a folder of your choosing and use them in the Mission Editor or fly in single player as long as you save the files.

Thank for the advice guys. Will try and switch over profile today sometime . 

And Vonrd ......  I deleted the contents of my dogfight folder . Like you said,, it takes a bit longer to log on the servers but so far so good.

~Salute~ und Danke !!!

JG1_Sturtz

You should be able to import your normal controls map and then apply it.  I believe things start at defaults though.  The response curves are a pain because you have to do each plane individually, and if you have a lot of them, it takes a long while.  Don't forget to uncheck that "use all planes responses" box each time.  I tested it out using a test profile, and that's how things started for me.  Snap views are assigned by plane type, so I don't think those are affected.

You do want to copy your entire "input" and "luascripts" folder to another location as a backup, and keep it up to date every time you make any changes.  If you ever have to do a "recovery" for the game, you lose everything otherwise.

GL

Win 10 has been screwing with my Joystick assignments lately and I'm glad I backed up this file.

Hey Vonrd. This has been giving me a hard time as well. Now I have lost control of fuel mixture on the DVIIf but only that aircraft. Have you found any solutions?

S!

Hey Vonrd. This has been giving me a hard time as well. Now I have lost control of fuel mixture on the DVIIf but only that aircraft. Have you found any solutions?

S!

Hi Schafer,

The Fokker DVIIf and the PfalzD.XII use what is called an altitude throttle to control fuel mixture at higher altitudes. Most people assign the fuel mixture and altitude throttle to the same axis or buttons since no aircraft have both.

S!

No German aircraft have manual mixture control, with the exception of rotary engined planes (Fokker E.III, Fokker Dr.I, Fokker D.VIII).  All the inline water cooled planes had automatic mixture control back then.  It's an advantage of the German planes.

Only 2 planes in RoF have altitude throttle controls because they have the BMW engine; the Fokker D.VIIf, and the Pfalz D.XIIf.  It is not a mixture control.  Think of it as a 2-barrel carburetor with which you manually control each barrel with it's own throttle.  The engine was purposefully designed with too much compression to run at full power at low altitudes; if you try to do it, the engine "knocks" and begins to accumulate damage.  The "normal" throttle keeps it limited to a degree of power which is acceptable at low altitudes without damaging the engine.  At high altitudes, air density decreases, so you can add more power through the use of the altitude throttle, and the engine doesn't knock because of the lower air density, and has more power at that altitude than an engine with a standard compression ratio.

Mercedes also made their own version of an "overcompressed" engine: the 200 HP D.IIIau.  This is the engine that is in the Halberstadt CL.II (200 HP) version.  The standard Halb CL.II does not have that engine. Mercedes did not use a separate throttle to control the engine, but instead had a single throttle that could give full power all by itself.  Consequently, you cannot advance it fully at low altitudes, or you'll get the same knocking and eventual damage.  Once you get high enough, you can advance the throttle fully in that plane.  This same engine was also used in some Fokker D.VII's during WWI, but that plane is not modeled or available in RoF.  It is possible that it will be modeled in FC; and if it is, it will act and be controlled in the same way the Halb CL.II 200 HP is now controlled, but will have much better performance than the Halb CL.II, due to the superior weight and aerodynamic characteristics of the D.VII air frame.

In any case, the mixture and the throttle are two separate aspects of engine controls; and since the mixture is always automatically controlled on the water cooled engines, there is no manual game control needed for them.  Because the 2 are never found together on the same plane, most pilots map manual mixture and altitude throttle to the same control so which ever function you need for any German aircraft is always available.

With regard to the Pfalz D.XIIf, it's unfortunate that this plane was never actually used in combat in WWI.  Although around 20 of them may have actually existed in crates somewhere, it's generally accepted they never actually were shipped to any squadron, and some believe that their BMW engines were cannibalized for use in Fokker D.VII's.  The Pfalz D.XII, which was widely used during the war, DID NOT have the engine (with altitude throttle) which is given to it in RoF; it had the standard 185 HP Mercedes D.IIIa, just like the standard Fokker D.VII has (not the D.VIIf). This is the plane that RoF first modeled, way back when RoF was still new, and the Pfalz D.XII first was offered for sale.  However, there were so many player complaints as to it's lack of performance, the devs took the unprecedented step of changing the entire engine in it; and instead of offering it as a separate model, they completely replaced it with the mythical model we now have.  You'll notice that they don't call it a Pfalz D.XIIf; they call it a Pfalz D.XII, and that is just plain incorrect.  IMHO I find it very sad they got rid of the model that was the actual plane in WWI that was used, and ginned up a plane that didn't fly at all in WWI before the war ended.  It's even more unfortunate that the Pfalz D.XII in RoF is about the only choice that the German side has available to combat the uber SPAD and S.E.5a's that would absolutely rule the skies, without the "false Pfalz" to combat them.  It's been endowed with speed that the D.VIIf does not and did not have.

S!