VR Headsets

Lee

I’m updating my flight simulator computer and will be giving it a dedicated VR headset. I have an Oculus Rift on my other workstation so the Rift is my first choice. But I was wondering what other headset people are using that might offer advantages over the Rift? Only requirements are it runs Flying Circus and EliteDangerous.

I use the HP Windows Mixed Reality head set.

Definitely works with FC not sure on EliteDangerous, but a google search says it does.

What I like about it HP WMR is the headsets are inside out tracking, simple to use, nativity to OS screen resolution is slightly higher then others, and finally the cost is just a little over $200

S!

I have the HTC Vive Pro.

I tried on the oculus at the store but never tried it on any flight sims so I really can't tell what is better. I don't notice the screen door effect with mine.

I tried to verbally compare my set up with Lipfert's Occulus set up. It seems he could read the same gauges as I could despite having less resolution than me. I was disappointed hearing that. I thought of something today though. With monitors the higher the resolution the more stuff is jammed onto the screen. It's possible that I see a little bit more and stuff is slightly smaller but clearer.

I have read complaints that the Vive lenses seems to have a small sweet spot. I do have to have them on just right or it seems that one eye is not focused right. However I have to get my eyes checked in 2 weeks I can see well far away but have a hard time reading small print at work.  So that could be an issue also. I will update when I get glasses. 

I have the HTC Vive Pro.

I tried on the oculus at the store but never tried it on any flight sims so I really can't tell what is better. I don't notice the screen door effect with mine.

I tried to verbally compare my set up with Lipfert's Occulus set up. It seems he could read the same gauges as I could despite having less resolution than me. I was disappointed hearing that. I thought of something today though. With monitors the higher the resolution the more stuff is jammed onto the screen. It's possible that I see a little bit more and stuff is slightly smaller but clearer.

I have read complaints that the Vive lenses seems to have a small sweet spot. I do have to have them on just right or it seems that one eye is not focused right. However I have to get my eyes checked in 2 weeks I can see well far away but have a hard time reading small print at work.  So that could be an issue also. I will update when I get glasses. 

I'm very far sighted and have no issues reading gauges and don't use glasses while wearing VR.

I'm very far sighted and have no issues reading gauges and don't use glasses while wearing VR.

I can read the gauges. My thought was if I have 1.5X more pixels it should be slightly clearer. I'm not sure if it is. The Vive Pro is nice probably not worth what I paid. I'm glad I got it but I think I will be happier with the future VR stuff.

Decided to stick with Oculus for now. A known device that works out of the box for the two games I’m interested in. Oculus Rift is a generation 1 VR device. I usually skip every other generation of fast changing technology, so won’t be upgrading again until the gen 3 VR headsets appear. And of course that will require a complete computer upgrade when the time comes.

• 2 weeks later...

Whatever they do will soon be copied.  competition will lower the price.

I hope you're right. I didn't really see that happening with Oculus and HTC. They only started lowering prices and bundling when sales started to wane after the big burst of launch adopters, which is when we got in. But on the PC side of things (don't really care about the portable, smartphone driven gadgets too much), no one really showed up to scoop business out from under the Vive and Rift. 

• 2 weeks later...

I threw in the towel and got a Rift. (I had ordered a Dell Visor from Ebay for $300 but the back-light didn't work and I had to return it, so I decided Best Buy was the best option... if something goes bad I only have a 2 mile trip to rectify it).

Amazing!

You guys who have VR already know.

The most astounding thing for me is that my gunnery has at least tripled. I can now easily estimate angle off and intuitively project where the rounds will meet the target. (I was always a better than average shot at the clay pigeons... and live birds... though I don't hunt anymore). The difference between 2D and 3D gunnery is astounding to me!

I am having some difficulties though.

The worst is that my glasses are just a bit too wide and it becomes quite painful as the nose pads dig into my nose. I plan on ordering a set of prescription inserts. Does anyone use them?

I also have problems of my glasses fogging up when it's warm in my sim room. Anyone else?

Lastly, so far, is the difficulty in checking 6 (and there's lots on the forums about this. My take is that, yes, it's realistic that RL pilots can't turn their heads that far, but most don't take into account that our eyes move... try it... I can't turn my head much past 90 deg but my eyes can get almost to 180. I can check at least 5 and 7 o'clock... cant do that in VR). Has anyone come up with a "cheat" to check 6?

Are you near-sighted?  If you aren't, you may not need to wear your glasses as the Rift is focused to infinity.  If you're like me, yeah, it's a must for longer playtimes.

I ordered this 3D printed lens adapter (two versions, actually, I recommend the one with the open edges) with a pair of Zenni lenses (as indicated in the instructions).  I actually got a pair of clear and a pair of yellow tinted lenses to experiment with eye-strain relief, the jury is still out but I'm digging the yellows.  I do warn you, though, if you get these, you must be careful resting the rift on your forehead as the insert has somewhat sharp edges.  It's 3D printed, so you could file them down, I just wear a do-rag when I use the rift, it helps some with cushioning, as well as look cooler on Twitch than my bald head.

The fogging has stopped with the inserts, but I recall it occuring.  I keep a fan near me for days I'm on the Rift for extended periods of time, it's hot under that zero ventilation mask.

As for checking 6, looking out of the corner of your eye is what you're missing. That and the extra 30-40° of peripheral vision.  This is the number one prerequisite for me to buy a replacement VR HMD (second is the resolution).  Some people are using swivel chairs to get those extra degrees, I just sit forward while craning around to my right and I may use my off-hand to push myself a little farther, if I need to.  I found my right is easier to turn to than my left, your results may vary. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Just wanted to share this new Youtube Video. It´s showing the XTAL 3 VR headset with mixed reality capability and everything else state of the art VR tech.
The XTAL 3 got 90° vertical FOV, 180° horizontal and 2 x 4K displays with custom lenses ( no fresnel, no lens distortion ). To achieve this wide FOV the displays are canted.

Quite impressive and looks like the most advanced VR headset today! 

44 minutes ago, Ludwig said:

The ultimate will be a dome projection which I still think is the best I have experienced. 

Same here, but this will cost my second kidney.

(The only time I ever got even slightly airsick was in the Flight Safety sim with the hydraulic motion. My eyes were convinced this was real but my inner ear knew the motion didn't quite match what I was seeing...  🤢).

If there would be a quality VR headset with a slim design in the price range of the Reverb G2 with 160° FOV and lenses with edge-to-edge clarity, I would be already happy.

That and graphics cards with 2 GPUs designed for VR applications especially, to provide the performance needed for high end VR.