Sooooooo..... parachutes

I mean, I can see why the video might cause a little controversy depending on one's views of shooting parachutes, but holy cow! I could not have foreseen the forumnic nuclear explosion it generated.  :blink: 

If I get strafed in a parachute, will I be sore about it? Maybe for a bit, if I was on a nice streak. But...

A ) In that case I probably should have flown in such a way as to prevent me from needing to deploy one.

B ) There's no questioning that it's a valid war tactic. 

Ultimately, after the dust settles, I'll simply take a breath in, be thankful I'm still alive in real life lol, and then hit respawn to fly again. 

Instead of waisting bullets, you fly through the chute, upper wing just below the canopy, does nothing the the crate, and it collapses the chute, and its a LONNNNNGGGGGG way down at that point.  Then when someone cries foul, shrug and say, "Oooops, sry bout that, I was trying to admire the pilot graphics and got a little too close"  Dont ask how I know that, cause NO ONE in JG 1 would be that despicable.  :ph34r:

Just sayin'

Away from home now and can't remember if the 'chute is always available, or a piece of pilot equipment you select, or some kind of mod you select.

If not, it should be. That way in certain events, where match-ups with as close a level of parity as possible are desired, the 'chute could be restricted or eliminated by the server op.

For all I know it already works that way. But if not, it doesn't seem like that hard of a thing to change in the game. After all, the 'chutes were not universal...every single German pilot was not equipped with one, especially in early deployment.

Yeah, it's always available. I think it should be a selectable mod that can be locked by server operators depending on the year represented (1916 vs 1918 for instance) or only made available for certain plane types, selectable by the server operator. Also, a random chance of chute failure would probably be accurate, given the primitive nature of the parachutes of the day. 

Overall, I like that they are in the game; I think they should be present in the game as a novelty instead of the norm, like it was in history.

Well, in the end, I suppose the side-switching aspect of events evens things out regardless.  What's the real point of bailing out at all, if, as Kliegmann points out, you can just run into the canopy and basically kill the enemy every time he does it, without consequences.  Personally I don't think it's right if the DM let's you get away with that...ever seen a cord get wrapped up in a boat motor? Stops it dead and it isn't going anywhere until you disassemble the prop and get it out.  In any case, if it was that risk-free why would anybody have wasted bullets on shooting the jumper?

After all's said and done I think for events we're better off without that capability at all....where lives matter.  It would be especially wrong if they just applied it to all German planes in general.  I have a feeling though that it's one of those current game engine things because it's universal on both sides of the WWII genre and they never foresaw the possibility that it might need to be limited in some way.

Just another reason why it was a bad idea to lump the two time frames together.

People take these games too seriously sometimes. Takes us away from the real reason we are all playing them.  Those guys are douchebags, Talbot. I thought your video was funny.

Overall, I agree with Luft, except for one point:  if you bail from a burning plane in a chute, you have a better chance of living.  If you bail from an engine out...that's stupid in DiD.  Try to ditch instead.  One of the reasons that I joined this squadron was an emphasis on DiD.

I honestly didn't know it was so taboo. I don't do the WW2 sims and FC is the first WW1 with chutes I've played. I still would have posted that vid anyways, haha. As for that "tactic" I don't see the use unless you really want to be a dick to somebody. I never really thought about it until yesterday, haha. Right now I see FC more as a novelty where there aren't really any rules and everyone is really just trying to sort it out.