Sign in to follow this  
Butzzell

New Game Exploit ?

S! All

I put the question mark in the title because I have not seen this before. Someone else may have seen this and posted and I missed it.

We had an incident in Flanders in Flames. A pilot was close to an enemy airfield. He was engaged and his his plane became disabled. Not sure if it was loss of oil, fuel or bullet damage. The pilot was able to land at the enemy airfield. This was strange because the airfields are surrounded by AAAA, The AAA did not shoot at him. He was able to stay on the field and his rear gunner was able to shoot at enemy spawning in. The pilot was probably shocked that he was not being killed  by AAA.

Some of his teammates entered the area. They were promptly shot down by AAA.

This is the first time we have seen this. The situation was examined and it was determined that the game does not see a disabled, shot down or crashed plane as a target. So you may ask, how many times is an enemy plane going to suffer a disabling event and still be able to land on an enemy airfield. In actual game play this is a very rare event, however.........it was pointed out that a pilot could get close to an enemy airfield and over rev his engine to disable his plane and then glide into the enemy airfield. I tested this and yes it works. The AAA spawns but does not shoot at a disabled plane.

I am not sure if BoX/FC works the same way but it probably does.

The result of all this is a new rule for Flanders in Flames:

"Refly Rules (Spawn Camping and Objective Camping)

Spawn camping and objective camping are not in the spirit of the Flanders In Flames tournament.

Any pilot who safely lands his shot down or disabled aircraft must "Finish Flight" and despawn as soon as possible.  Sitting on the ground after being shot down, so that you can act as a forward controller for friendly aircraft, or position your rear-gunner to shoot at enemy aircraft, is unacceptable."

Hi Butzz, hi all!

Let me drop my 2 cents in this issue.

Yes, the happened situation is curious but don't you think consequences of that are a bit too hard? I mean this new rule.

First of all, how often can/would you repeat same situation flying in the tournament? Many of you will risk your plane and life to let AAA slightly damage you to get a misarable chance to land at the enemy airfield to camp there. Moreover, I personally see this situation as a great diversity addition into the stable default FIF process  😺

Anyway, let leave it as you mean - that's exploit and it's not allowed if this exploit leads to any camping. But why should any another fight situation suffer because of that? For example, I was shot down in some dog-fight somewhere (not by the airfield or objective) but stayed alive. Why can I not stay on the ground to fire flares to call my friends to me to punish enemies shot me down? Or why can I not use rear turret to help my comrades in a continued dog-fight above me? Both these situations are not camping and are not some art of exploit, are they?

18 hours ago, BaronVonMyakin said:

First of all, how often can/would you repeat same situation flying in the tournament? Many of you will risk your plane and life to let AAA slightly damage you to get a misarable chance to land at the enemy airfield to camp there. Moreover, I personally see this situation as a great diversity addition into the stable default FIF process  😺

Few days ago I read a quite accurate sentence for that situation: "Hard case makes a bad law". Anyway, the biggest issue of this feature is that you don't need to risk your plane. You can overrev your engine outside the AA defense of AF and your're "disabled" from the game mechanic perspective. Thus there will be no AA shooting at you and you can camp the spawn without notice. That is unacceptable since number of recon/rescue/capture planes is limited to two of each type and everyone knows on which AF. Any AF can be block this way shortly after the mission start (in about 20 minutes) with no effective method to kill such intruder fast enough so he would not harsh the game for whole opposing side.

As Luft said. That rule could change in future. I understand that Butzzell is facing this new exploit and he try to prevent its abuse. The problem is that there is limited time before next FiF mission and we're lacking the time needed for assessing various scenarios, this exploit can be utilized for.

I hope this helps to clarify the background of this new rule.

18 hours ago, BaronVonMyakin said:

Anyway, let leave it as you mean - that's exploit and it's not allowed if this exploit leads to any camping. But why should any another fight situation suffer because of that? For example, I was shot down in some dog-fight somewhere (not by the airfield or objective) but stayed alive. Why can I not stay on the ground to fire flares to call my friends to me to punish enemies shot me down? Or why can I not use rear turret to help my comrades in a continued dog-fight above me? Both these situations are not camping and are not some art of exploit, are they?

I kinda agree with that. If I am bombing a target and I take enough damage that I have to land, I should be able to use my rear gun to shoot horses or enemy planes. This is a combat situation and not spawn camping.  Also, flying around a two seater base looking for enemy landing or taking off is not spawn camping. It is dangerous because of AAA. 

6 hours ago, Butzzell said:

I kinda agree with that. If I am bombing a target and I take enough damage that I have to land, I should be able to use my rear gun to shoot horses or enemy planes....

Just for the record, and for future considerations, I agree with that too.

I also think that it should be OK for any 2-seater that has to ditch anywhere other than an enemy airfield to use his rear gun for as long as he's able to.

The rule can be re-written to be clearer, and closer to its intent.

For example:

Refly Rules (Spawn Camping and Objective Camping)

Spawn camping and objective camping are not in the spirit of the Flanders In Flames tournament.

Any pilot who safely lands his shot down or disabled aircraft on top of a spawn point or an objective point must "Finish Flight" and despawn as soon as possible.  Sitting on the ground on top of a spawn point or an objective point, so that you can act as a forward controller for friendly aircraft, or position your rear-gunner to shoot at enemy aircraft, is unacceptable.

In any other situation, pilots may sit in their shot down or disabled aircraft as long as they wish.

Would this be better?

That's cool with me too.  So, change it to:

Refly Rules (Spawn Camping)

Spawn camping is not in the spirit of the Flanders In Flames tournament.

Any pilot who safely lands his shot down or disabled aircraft on top of a spawn point must "Finish Flight" and despawn as soon as possible.  Sitting on the ground on top of a spawn point, so that you can act as a forward controller for friendly aircraft, or position your rear-gunner to shoot at enemy aircraft, is unacceptable.

In any other situation, pilots may sit in their shot down or disabled aircraft as long as they wish.

Is this better?

If so, I'll change the rules.  @Butzzell would you post the amended rule to the community?

Well that worked out rather well!  People communicating, commenting, compromising, and coming up with a solution without any animosity or grudges.

How different than 20 years ago, back in the era of RB3D tournaments and their angry forums, with every squadron striving for an advantage and real hatred between groups and individuals.

Being 20 older and wiser has it's advantages, it seems. 😄