Sign in to follow this  
Firefly

Firefly's video archive

This is something else. Two hours' worth of 1980s Cold War propaganda, all filmed during a massive military exercise "Shield-84" hosted in Czechoslovakia. Features infantry, tanks, artillery, aircraft and airborne troops. Gonna buy a few Czech beers and watch the whole thing later today. 

These ones are truly special, I've never seen them online before today. 

"Unsere Mi", an NVA training video with an introduction to every helicopter type operated by the Armeefliegerkräfte. Sadly there are no shots of Mi-24Ps, 12 of which were operated by KHG-5 - they were taken into inventory mere months before Mauerfall. 

A short film on the Mi-24. Includes live fire with anti-tank guided missiles. 

NVA/LSK road base (Autobahn) operations, filmed not long before East Germany ceased to exist. Too cool! 

3 hours ago, Britchot said:

My favorite Deutsche word: Hubschrauber.

How about Kampfhubschraubergeschwader (KHG), which was the official designation of East German combat helicopter squadrons? ;) Those German compound names are as amusing as they are terrifying to a non-German speaker. 

It's interesting to me that the pilot held his salute of the crew chief, during the crew chief's hand off of the aircraft.

I would assume that the pilot outranks the crew chief.  And that technically, the pilot doesn't have to salute the crew chief.

Is this an example of respecting the ground crew, regardless of rank?  And if so, is that practice normal in all air forces?