Sign in to follow this  
Lee

Microsoft Flight Simulator Back.

Nearly 100Gb. Wow lol. Even on my connection that'll take a fair while to download.

At the same time, makes you realise how laughably bloated games like Call of Duty: Warzone are coming in at aprox 160Gb. People joke that they made it so big so you couldn't fit anything else on your SSD lol.

91gb Download...woof.

https://www.protocol.com/microsoft-flight-simulator-2020

That's a really neat article about how the technology came about.  It is astounding what they have done using satellite mapping and local data/assets to create the planet.  I'm interested to see how they have handled cultural building styles.  I'm sure big cities like New York have been custom made for fidelity, but will the suburbs be generic buildings across cultures?  Can't wait to find out!

One would assume they've created different building types for America/Europe/Asia etc. Time will tell however. I think I'll be getting the Deluxe edition, as the standard doesn't have the Cessna 152 Aerobat that I flew. Genuinely curious how it'll handle terrain/scenery objects from the airfield I went to, could be quite nostalgic. Looking forward to doing some gliding too, nothing quite like the silence of it.

Have it, set it up and made a couple of flights.  Flies nice, the scenery is stunning as well as the clouds, aircraft and fully clickable cockpits.

Not to say everything is perfect.  Stay high and all is well. Flew over a couple of my and my relatives current and former houses. Yup, they are there!  But when you get down low they don’t look anything like in real life.  Procedurally generated buildings adds realism to the scenery, so long as you don’t get too close and know what the buildings actually look like.

I also like that it’s a living world, with aircraft traffic, moving ground vehicles and people.  Nice touches that further enhance the richness of the scenery.  Although this too is an area needing some additional work.  Some of those vehicles were doing really strange things.  Zipping back and forth on the same street, going nowhere. I had a bus drive on to a taxi way in front of me then stop.  He wouldn’t move until I went around him. Which was a little tricky as the procedurally generated runway lights were a tad high and awkwardly placed.

I suspect a lot of people will fly around in the external view just taking in the scenery.  I know I will.

I've been watching footage of it on YouTube a lot, the graphical fildelity is really on a level I never thought we'd see in a flight simulator. Even the "default" aircraft have a level of detail I'm used to from A2A Simulations, especially in the audio department.

You can also download the terrain instead of streaming it if you know you're going to frequent a particular area of sky. I'm going to download my local area around Fenland airfield where I flew from. Getting the Deluxe edition for the 152 Aerobat. So excited! Was even looking at peripherals like a throttle quadrant and flight yoke but that's me getting ahead of myself, my eyes are bigger than my wallet lol!

I'm curious, what types of aircraft are you gents most looking forward to flying?

For me it'll probably be the light aircraft like the Cessna 152 etc. I like to fly low to medium altitude VFR, but confess to wanting to give some of the larger aircraft a fair shake like the Airbus A320 and the Boeing 787-10 Dreamliner. The Cubs look great fun too, basic but you can take them ANYWHERE. Would be nice to see some gliders too and more amphibious aircraft.

Currently installing, 12.5Gb down another 80 to go! Leaving it on overnight will pick it up in the morning I think. Can't afford to buy it quite yet but got it on Xbox Game Pass for only a £1 for a month!

Hour 56 of the download.  Food supplies are almost depleted, fresh water is scarce, and the natives are getting restless.  Send help. :D

I'm looking forward to seeing how the game handles the ICON A5 water landings and wave physics in general.  I still occasionally load up RoF just to mess around with the seaplanes, it's a lot of fun to surf around the heavy seas in a Felix. 

11 hours ago, EmerlistDavjack said:

I'm looking forward to seeing how the game handles the ICON A5 water landings and wave physics in general.  I still occasionally load up RoF just to mess around with the seaplanes, it's a lot of fun to surf around the heavy seas in a Felix.

From my understanding there isn't much at all in the way of water physics or effects sadly. I watched a video I think from Obsidian Ant which is just a few weeks old in the icon, he set it down on the water fine but there was no wake which was a little disappointing. I guess as it's the only amphibious aircraft currently they decided it wasn't a priority feature for the time being.

I just did my first flight out of Fenland (EGCL) in the Cessna 152. The runways were just as they are IRL, however I was a little disappointing the club building was just a flat texture. Seemingly not picked up by the AI as only the maintenance building was present. There was also a ruddy great big 150ft high tree at the end of RW36 lol which will make approaches a little awkward.

I did however manage to fly VFR all the way to my front door. Obviously there are some issues with buildings not being represented correctly, despite that though I was able to pick out land marks such as the BP garage on the A17 from the flat green texture in the courtyard by the road. Was quite remarkable really even with the discrepencies. Trees seem to be a little over the top though, they're way too high. My house was surrounded by several 150ft or higher trees like I'm in the forest moon of Endor or something.

Impressed so far, will have to go flying around an area I'm not quite so intimately familiar with so I can't pick flaws with it. Audio was phenominal the Cessna 152 felt and sounded just like the real deal which was excellent.

Have you gents had much chance to do some flying?

I'm hooked, been flying all over the place. Been doing the Yosemite bush challenge, flying VFR in the Cub which was very gratifying. No radios, no GPS. Just you in the most basic aircraft you've ever set eyes on... and a MAP. Completed the first leg with no issues, great fun!

lake.thumb.png.7a01b07025551cc499eab8cfb9ecd760.png

Note: I'm flying on primarily "high" settings, with a few "ultra" for things like volumetric clouds at 1080p resolution. Getting upwards of 75-80FPS here.

Can recommend flying out of Innsbruck to Fusen, via the Neuschwanstein castle. I visited Fusen a couple years back with my dad on our motorcycles, the place looks spot on. Could even spot the location of the restaurant we had some amazing salmon before heading back! Really spectacular terrain flying through the alps. If you do the flight in the Icon A5 you can also make a water landing on the lake just next to the town. Flying out of Reykjavik was pretty spetacular too, the tonal variations in the terrain over there are crazy good looking.

Oh, and here's my house! We've got a couple of trees by the house, but the AI really went overboard here lol. Fun fact, when we moved here in 1996, there was part of a BAC Lightning fuselage in the field to the right of the house.

Untitled.thumb.png.20e5d170c62bdd0068af1fb9cd681490.png

I'm afraid for my wallet, I feel like I'm about to dive down a rabbit hole with an infinite number of terrain/scenery and aircraft packs soon to start releasing. Already bought the ORBX pack for Innsbruck airport and the city itself, was tempted to get another but have to restrain myself for the time being!

On 8/21/2020 at 12:17 AM, Britchot said:

I'll fly the DA40 because I know it, very well.  I'll see about doing some sort of career mode moving cargo in C208s, not sure why but I love that plane. 

Been trying the different aircraft and really like the DA40 and DV20. I guess it’s because I’m a glider pilot and they were derived from a motor glider.  Plus they have the best view out. I downloaded their Aircraft Flight Manuals from the Diamond website.

I’m going to do the all the flight lessons in the C152 to learn proper procedures for operating the engine thingy, radio coms, and the navigation gadgets. My sailplane equipment was very basic, the most sophisticated instrument being an electric audio variometer powered by two D-cell batteries. Navigation was by compass using a road map more than the aeronautical chart. 

This game is AMAZING.  There is a location icon for Los Gatos, CA, that starts you right next to my highschool and they must have done a custom job because the game can't actually be good enough to do this on its own...can it?  The screenshot is of my highschool and it is startlingly accurate.  The building layout is exact, you can see the team logo on the football field and even the new solar panels in the parking lot (notice the ones pointing the wrong direction lol).  My parents cul-de-sac looks exact (except for the trees) down to the white gazebo in my neighbor's backyard.  The nearby strip mall is also almost exact.  The game can't be that good, right?  Maybe it has to do with the fidelity of the satellite imagery, and the SF Bay Area has been extensively captured in high res.   So I tried going somewhere I knew, but wouldn't be as high res and...that house on the corner there is my grandparents house.  I know most buildings are supposedly generic but...that's startlingly close.

Flight feels good, too!  Haven't tried setting up hairy weather conditions, but the 152 and 172 handle a lot like I remember.  So far the only downside is that my crappy internet connection can only stream data live off peak hours.  So I have to pre-download areas if I want to fly any time other than 11pm onward.

20200824063117_1.jpg

20200824064446_1.jpg

20200824073013_1.jpg

grandmas.JPG

Your parents have a fine taste in cars, I learned to drive at a ripe old age of 13 in my mum's Legacy Outback of a similar vintage and in that exact shade of dark green.

I'd love to check out my neighbourhood (directly to the south of the Warsaw Babice airport aka EPBC) from the air. My parents' home is in that partly wooded area of pentagonal shape right behind the airfield. The forest in the upper right corner is where I walk my dog on weekends. Note how one of the old runways was turned into a public road. 

LotniskoBabice.jpg

As a side note, EPBC (now a civilian airport reserved for general aviation and sailplanes) was once home to Poland's first tactical jets (Yak-17s and 23s). :) Sadly the airport's days are numbered, as the local councillors keep complaining about the planes flying over their heads... Bloody fools. I bet they can't wait to get their hands on prime real estate for housing development... 

On 8/23/2020 at 5:22 AM, Lee said:

Been trying the different aircraft and really like the DA40 and DV20. I guess it’s because I’m a glider pilot and they were derived from a motor glider.

Flying the DA40 is a lot like flying an ASK-21, especially landing.  I have many hours in both.

i was disappointed to find out that the DA40 NG in MSFS has nosewheel steering.  The real plane has a castoring nosewheel and steers like a MiG-21.

On 8/24/2020 at 3:49 PM, Firefly said:

As a side note, EPBC (now a civilian airport reserved for general aviation and sailplanes) was once home to Poland's first tactical jets (Yak-17s and 23s). :) Sadly the airport's days are numbered, as the local councillors keep complaining about the planes flying over their heads... Bloody fools. I bet they can't wait to get their hands on prime real estate for housing development... 

This is a tale as old as time and always goes like so . . .

1: Loud center for industry get built in the 1940's-1960's (Airfield, Race Track, Railway Yard, Port)
2: Center for industry creates economic boom in local area - businesses move within a 5-20 mile radius of Loud place
3: Industry creates need for housing. Housing starts on city limits built around supporting business
4: By the 80's/90's/, housing firms out of space to put stuff.
5: Real estate agents start lying to home buyers through omission by not mentioning loud industrial center 2-5 miles away from their home.
6: Home owners start complaining until "Loud place bad" gets shut down
7: Real estate cashes in on the boom and ups everybody's property values and cash in a huge profit
8: Home owners now can't afford their living place without the industry to supply jobs. People stop moving in causing a bust. 
9: Rinse and repeat until somebody learns better.