Pick Up Group (PUG) Announcements

Britchot

After the cold war server died when the map flipped, i went on GS (ok i know lol) and took the tomcat up for a quick fly. omg i now remember why it was a day 1 purchase and how much i had forgotten , she deffo is gonna get some more stick time. 😀

34 minutes ago, Britchot said:

Trev and I flew the Tomcat yesterday morning, as a crew.  I have a lot of remapping to do because of the LANTIRN, but it was a lot of fun running the radar.

The Tomcat is just so much more immersive than any other aircraft in DCS. That is a much-overused word in the sim community, but still appropriate I think. 

3 hours ago, Britchot said:

Trev and I flew the Tomcat yesterday morning, as a crew.  I have a lot of remapping to do because of the LANTIRN, but it was a lot of fun running the radar.

Cool. not flown it much with a human RIO apart from a couple of flights on release day, but we were to inexperienced so it didn't end well. One thing I did notice is that it was a lot more efficient than using Jester. Voice attack makes him a bit easier to manage, but of course DCS won't start with it enabled at the moment.

Not used LANTIRN yet or done any ground pounding tbh.

• 4 weeks later...

Some of us Euro Guys planning to fly TAW tonight, starting probably around 2000 UTC....

...maybe other want to join (e.g. some home workers at EST zone that simply quit the working day a little bid earlier... or others that do a flight in the lunch break 😉)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry to be late with reaction. 

There is no trick in high alt bombing, particularly with Halb. You just need to plan your approach accordingly so you would be aligned with the tail wind or against the wind. Everything else is just matter of how accurate  is your speed/altitude settings and how big the offset of the wind alignment will be after final course corrections. In general, more accurate you will be at initial point the more accurate you'll be with the bomb impact point.

There is no trick in high alt bombing, particularly with Halb. You just need to plan your approach accordingly so you would be aligned with the tail wind or against the wind. Everything else is just matter of how accurate  is your speed/altitude settings and how big the offset of the wind alignment will be after final course corrections. In general, more accurate you will be at initial point the more accurate you'll be with the bomb impact point.

Pragr is exactly correct, setting the bomb sight is the last key to this exercise.  The more precise you enter the information (and maintain it) the more accurate you will be.  Watch your track over the ground to determine the most accurate 0 wind angle and then go from the target backwards to find your IP.... anything obvious will do. Something easy to recognize and quickly align yourself. 

Once you line up on that it's a duck walk to the target. Lastly, your actual method of triggering the bomb release can make a difference of 50' at an altitude of 3000m. If you are using a mouse, or keyboard or joystick button it needs to be consistent. 

In the Gotha I was taking out single tank targets at 3000m as long as the above conditions were met. It takes practice, you don't need vehicle targets, a road intersection a single tree, really anything that will allow you to observe your fall of shot will give you the information you need. If you have a particularly difficult mission target, drop a single bomb on the way to the target and observe it. Winds are the same across the map, and at altitude. In RoF you could put in different wind speeds and directions at layers, but the program only reflected the one speed and direction. Tracking/observing through the site to determine your zero wind path to the target makes it all come together. 

The computer allows for incredibly precise bombing that could never be achieved in the real world even with todays delivery methods. (dumb bombs)