Pick Up Group (PUG) Announcements

Britchot

aaand btw.: Tonight at least Greif and me will be flying IL2 somewhere, maybe also Heinrich might join later on.

Don't have exact time plan now, but I think realistic target time for take off could be 19:30 UTC (21:30 CET)

Maybe someone else likes to join?? 

My main reason for asking about a sub forum was to have it readily visible for when you want to post. I had forgotten where the PUG was located... was pretty sure it was in "Public" but I didn't see it since it was way down in the list due to other / newer posts being above it. A search for PUG didn't work because of too few letters. I found it by looking at Etzel's profile and content since I remembered that he had recently posted and is probably the one who makes use of the PUG most. In retrospect, I probably could have searched for "Pick" or the whole name. But, a subforum would negate that issue.

Etzel also makes good points above and I agree with him that it's not a really high priority.

As for Discord... the main problem is that stuff gets buried as more recent posts come in. Secondly, there are still people that either don't like Discord or don't bother opening it up without good reason (TIF ATO's etc.).

All that being said... not a high priority and I won't throw a tantrum if it's decided to be not needed. 🌋 

FWIW & this is strictly IMO. Our Discord is significantly underutilized. While TS has its merits I believe Discord is the superior of the 2. 

Forums are great for persistent info, Discord is great for transient things (eg: PUGs) moreover with Discord you have ready visibility if someone is in channel & available to team up. You can also create specific groups & then ping that group that you are available example "@Oesau going to do some IL2 tonight at 2000 if anyone cares to join". Everyone in Oesau will see that ping & know your intentions then come 2000 make sure you are in the channel so othes can link up. 

The idea of a dedicated PUG area is a good one.  I am, however, concerned about adding another sub-forum to a board already filled with sub-forums.  For Brit and I, who see everything 👀, I feel like we need to be pruning back, not expanding. 

PUG messages don't need to be kept for perpetuity.  4./JG 1 communicates through WhatsApp about their day to day schedules.  And Discord basically does the same thing for those who check it.  No reason to keep messages designed to be abandoned after the date or time.

Perhaps our current JG1 Discord needs to be given over fully to JG1RT, and a new JG1 Discord created that's cleaner, simpler and more direct.

BTW, I just jumped into JG1 Discord and noted the following:

• Richtofen last post 6/9/20
  • Oesau last post 11/24/20
  • Schmenkel last post 4/6/20
  • General pilot lounge las post 4/18/21. This seems to be the catch-all section but is a mish mash of topics. 

It seems that our dedicated squadron sections are not really being put to use. 

Maybe Discord should be where a dedicated PUG is?

On 4/24/2021 at 12:31 AM, Klaiber said:

For people with JG1 access: https://forum.jg1.org/topic/8891-jg1-discords/

Joined the group now, but to be hones: I am not sure what's the specific purpuse of it? As far I saw at the first glance the normal every day chatting that happenes here in the form is partially going on there, but (at least in my perception) in a less structured way....

So is this group meant to be used as PUG in future?    

6 hours ago, Etzel said:

Joined the group now, but to be hones: I am not sure what's the specific purpuse of it? As far I saw at the first glance the normal every day chatting that happenes here in the form is partially going on there, but (at least in my perception) in a less structured way....

So is this group meant to be used as PUG in future?    

Your summary is absolutely correct in all aspects.  

It is meant to be a more structured PUG alert.  General chatting in the sections but nothing too serious because it isn't as easy to search on Discord, as it is here on the forum.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...