Britchot

Pick Up Group (PUG) Announcements

S! All,

If any wants to join up tonight (Sunday 8:30 pm eastern time)... I'm trying out the HS 129 after reading the great post from Pragr...

Feel free to join up and try this tank buster!
I should be on TS and on one of the MP server!

Cheers,
GenMarkof

Hey guys! A hole in my schedule opened up and I should have a brief window to fly from around 7:30pm Central US time through 8:30ish pm Central US time. I'll be online in Flying Circus for the Thursday night fights during this time. Any wingmen welcome. 🙂

S! All,

For those that are available and would like to practice the next Flanders in Flames campaign...
I will be online tonight (Friday June 5) around 8:30 pm (eastern time) and can fly, help or explain any new elements of this new FC - FIF.
Always better to know things, then asking your questions 5 min (on TS) before the start of the event! ;) 

IMPORTANT: we are flying ENTENTE side for the two first session... plz don't forget! 

Cheers,
GenMarkof

6CURxfA.jpg

S! All,

If any bomber or even fighter pilots from all squads would like to practice high level bombing with the halberstadt CL2 (2 seater).
I'll be online on the FC JG1 server today (Sunday) around 1 pm (eastern time), will go after this to the Fluggpark J5 server for the Sunday event (around 2:30-3 pm).

All are welcome...

Cheers,
GenMarkof

ps: @Pragr if you have time this week, might need a bit of your knowledge on how to get better chance hitting targets at 3K or above, thx!

I'm sorry to be late with reaction. 

There is no trick in high alt bombing, particularly with Halb. You just need to plan your approach accordingly so you would be aligned with the tail wind or against the wind. Everything else is just matter of how accurate  is your speed/altitude settings and how big the offset of the wind alignment will be after final course corrections. In general, more accurate you will be at initial point the more accurate you'll be with the bomb impact point.

There is no trick in high alt bombing, particularly with Halb. You just need to plan your approach accordingly so you would be aligned with the tail wind or against the wind. Everything else is just matter of how accurate  is your speed/altitude settings and how big the offset of the wind alignment will be after final course corrections. In general, more accurate you will be at initial point the more accurate you'll be with the bomb impact point.

Pragr is exactly correct, setting the bomb sight is the last key to this exercise.  The more precise you enter the information (and maintain it) the more accurate you will be.  Watch your track over the ground to determine the most accurate 0 wind angle and then go from the target backwards to find your IP.... anything obvious will do. Something easy to recognize and quickly align yourself. 

Once you line up on that it's a duck walk to the target. Lastly, your actual method of triggering the bomb release can make a difference of 50' at an altitude of 3000m. If you are using a mouse, or keyboard or joystick button it needs to be consistent. 

In the Gotha I was taking out single tank targets at 3000m as long as the above conditions were met. It takes practice, you don't need vehicle targets, a road intersection a single tree, really anything that will allow you to observe your fall of shot will give you the information you need. If you have a particularly difficult mission target, drop a single bomb on the way to the target and observe it. Winds are the same across the map, and at altitude. In RoF you could put in different wind speeds and directions at layers, but the program only reflected the one speed and direction. Tracking/observing through the site to determine your zero wind path to the target makes it all come together. 

The computer allows for incredibly precise bombing that could never be achieved in the real world even with todays delivery methods. (dumb bombs) 

1 hour ago, Ludwig said:

Pragr is exactly correct, setting the bomb sight is the last key to this exercise.  The more precise you enter the information (and maintain it) the more accurate you will be.  Watch your track over the ground to determine the most accurate 0 wind angle and then go from the target backwards to find your IP.... anything obvious will do. Something easy to recognize and quickly align yourself. 

S! @Pragr @Ludwig

I do agree with you about the approach and the sight...
The main point of a practice for other members that do not bomb from high level most of the time... is to understand how to set up the wind and the way you need to choose the wind to get a better chance when bombing from 3K. On my part, it's always hard to know what I need to do with the 3ms, 330 from 2K or 5K... this is why would be great if you guys could take some time this week to explain. I ask Butzzell to change the FIF map for this week practice so we could have a German 2 seater base on Entente side... that way it would be faster to do a practice on the enemy targets.

Hope we can do a small session the night that works the best for you.
Cheers,
GenMarkof

When I did these events some years ago in RoF… the winds NEVER changed... that made it super easy for me to be setup and ready and I could nail the target with 100% reliability.  If the winds change from week to week, you will significantly change the equation. 

If you are consistently off in length, you may need to be using the AGL altitude when setting up. Reference the MSL altitude of the target and subtract that from the altitude you set on the sight. I have not bombed in FC so I don't know if it factors this in...  but if you are at 3000 feet and your target is at 400' MSL then you would set 2,600 on your sight to account for the difference. It makes a tiny difference, but if you start adding up those tiny differences,  you find out why you are not hitting exactly as you should.  Again, this is WAY more accurate than real world bombing.  

Planning to fly online at any IL2 WW2 server tonight, rougly somewhen around 2000 UTC  

As last week I met some NA pilots online at EU friendly times too I thought it might be good Idea to post that announcement for today, maybe some pilots have time again 😉

S! All, JG1 members or any friends of JG1...

I'd like to know if any of you that got the Il2 tank game would like to step up and start playing the game online?!!
Well, it might be the best time to setup your key mapping and to learn some simple move, shooting, and more.
Why? Just go and see today post from @Wittmann - 

-------------

I'll be online tonight (on TS around 8 pm eastern time) doing my Key Mapping and trying to learn the move, halt, get in the gunner seat, shooting and adjusting the gun sight,... choosing the best type of ammo, and more... If lucky, it would be great having @Wittmann or @Lipfert to help us on some basic stuff!

All are welcome to join... or to register for the Sunday Event! We do also need some fighter or bomber air support...

Cheers,
GenMarkof

ps: I might try to see if I could do a JG1 skin (adding the JG1 logo and maybe your specific logo, if you have one in .PNG or .SVG format) for most German tanks... that way, we could identify our tank squadron in MP online events. ;)

I definitely want to get involved in tank crew, and had actually set up my controls months ago.  Waiting for just this moment.

But because they share inputs with the flight sim portion, it screwed up my flight controls. 😕

Once I figure it out, I'd be down for some armored stuff.