Black September

Butzzell

• 2 weeks later...

FYI: I signed up as did a couple of other JG1 Pilots, we also need to get the Squad setup on their Stats, Klaiber?

The following is an email sent to you by an administrator of "Jasta 5 "Greentails" Bulletin Board". If this message is spam, contains abusive or other comments you find offensive please contact the webmaster of the board at the following address:

buero@jasta5.org

Include this full email (particularly the headers).

Message sent to you follows:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you are flying in the Jasta 5 Black September campaign on Flying Circus, please do the following:

1.  If you haven't already participated in the Black September poll on the Flying Circus forum, please do so.... we are using this information for registering pots and planning purposes.  We will be making side assignments this weekend for the 70+ pilots who already have indicated they are flying in this year's historic first ever Flying Circus campaign.

2. Register yourself and get your mates registered on the Jasta 5 Flying Circus Flugpark parser that will be used for this year's Black September campaign.

http://162.248.94.112:8000/en/?tour=1

Hope to see you in the skies of Flying Circus this year!

PS  You are receiving this message because you have previously registered on the Jasta 5 forum. If you want to stop receiving communication from Jasta 5 or want to update your email address, please log in to the Jasta 5 forum and delete your account or update your information.

--

Jagdstaffel 5 Bo

15 minutes ago, Razwald said:

I didn't sign up. I'm unreliable this time of year and I wouldn't want to take up someones spot if I can't commit.

Well, I don't think you take anybody's spot when you sign up.  Nobody is signing up to be there every time, or even most of the time; they come when they can, hopefully as much as possible.  Regardless, we'll miss having you if you have other commitments or priorities.

It is not a very clear process this year, and as far as I can figure, you're entered just by answering the poll question as to whether you plan to fly in BS this year; and you make that possible by registering for the server stats.  If there is more to it than that, I am still in the dark.  I stand to be corrected if anybody has more correct information.  

1 hour ago, Luftritter said:

Well, I don't think you take anybody's spot when you sign up.  Nobody is signing up to be there every time, or even most of the time; they come when they can, hopefully as much as possible.  Regardless, we'll miss having you if you have other commitments or priorities.

It is not a very clear process this year, and as far as I can figure, you're entered just by answering the poll question as to whether you plan to fly in BS this year; and you make that possible by registering for the server stats.  If there is more to it than that, I am still in the dark.  I stand to be corrected if anybody has more correct information.  

I think they want you to sign up on the stats parser:  please register on the parser here:.  http://stats.jasta5.org:8000/en/

JG1 has been assigned to the Blue team (Central).  I don't know why some JG1 pilots are listed as Mercs.  The list shows 31 pilot slots per side.  I don't know if that's a limitation, or what.  I'd like to be able to fly with those pilots who've been listed as Mercs.  It's not clear whether the sides shown are just for today, or for the entire event.  So far, a strange and unsure beginning.

a81d77a768.jpeg

Also, we are supposed to look at the O.P. in the FC BS thread, one hour before start time.  I guess some pertinent information will be disseminated at that time.

Black September thread

3 minutes ago, GenMarkof007 said:

S! How come I'm not listed, I was sure that old JG1 pilots that did the last year's event was registered for this new event?
If any of you knows where I need to sign up, I'll be on the Mercernaries list.

Cheers,
Gen

8/25/19 - please register on the parser here:.  http://stats.jasta5.org:8000/en/

5 hours ago, Britchot said:

Was a squadron created? 

Couldn’t make it until later today, but should be able to set time aside going forward. I would gladly sit out if it meant the regular Richthofen pilots could fly. 

I don't see ANY squads in it when I choose "Squad Rankings"

On 8/31/2019 at 10:25 AM, Luftritter said:

JG1 has been assigned to the Blue team (Central).  I don't know why some JG1 pilots are listed as Mercs.  The list shows 31 pilot slots per side.  I don't know if that's a limitation, or what.  I'd like to be able to fly with those pilots who've been listed as Mercs.  It's not clear whether the sides shown are just for today, or for the entire event.  So far, a strange and unsure beginning.

a81d77a768.jpeg

Also, we are supposed to look at the O.P. in the FC BS thread, one hour before start time.  I guess some pertinent information will be disseminated at that time.

Black September thread

Evidently, the roster above was made directly from the poll. If you answered that you wish to fly Central only or Central preferred you were put in the Central column. Those that answered either side or both were put into the Merc's column.

Of course we know that JG1 would all like to fly together, and it will probably not be an issue... but remember that slots are assigned on a first come basis. Any late arrivals may have to choose to wait for a slot to open up, or join the opposing side if there are open slots there.  It really depends on how many show up at any given time. We have about 80 signed up to fly and 60 or so slots to fill. My advice... be early if at all possible.

We need to remember too, that this is a "beta" campaign of sorts, (for lack of a better term),  and may not be as "intense" as campaigns in the past have been. We wanted to see what works and also to include, (or attract), as many players as possible to generate interest. Most of us in J5 would like to fly Central, (for a change), but I know that some of us may need to switch also if things get too lop-sided. 

Bottom line is we want to give as many players as possible a chance to participate,including  many newcomers who haven't flown in an event like this before.  It may take more cooperation and understanding on everyone's part, but we should have fun.

GC

S! gents. 

Looking forward to seeing many of you on the flight line tomorrow in Black September.  If you can, please assist pilots on Blue Team settle in to the "Ready Room - Briefing" channel on J5 Teamspeak.  By doing so, it will self regulate pilots on a first come first served basis as we have limited capacities on various channels.  Excess pilots (IF any) should form up in the "Reserves" channel.  

Gamcock and I will be "hearding cats" as well on both teams prior to the start.  I will be very surprised if we max out at 50 total for both teams, but what a great problem to have if we do!  In the event that does happen or there is a need for pilots on the Red Team, thank you in advance to any of you who are willing to help even up the sides.   Please take a look at the other team  pilot count on Teamspeak before going into the game server as once you get on a side you will get a 20 minute death penalty the first week if you try to switch sides, and a 3 hour penalty in subsequent weeks meaning you can't switch sides mid mission. 

If we have excess total pilots we will likely password the server.  If not, we likely will leave it open for the newer pilots who likely are not "plugged in" yet to these kinds of events.   Week two will definitely be passworded to force Teamspeak use and the auto management of pilot capacities.

Thanks for your support. 

S! Organizers,

In the rules for BS is written:

Campaign Conduct Tips
 Mission status updates will be provided in-flight every five minutes to help direct you towards active missions.
Fly > die > move to reserve Teamspeak channel > serve your 20 minute death penalty.
If there are no reserves waiting their turn to enter game, THEN you can be a backseat gunner in a two-seater during 20-minute death penalty > fly > die > repeat cycle.

During the mission I had to restart because of several issues with the game. I landed at a Lapino. Finished the mission, logged of the server and exited the game. When I tried to come back I had to wait almost 45 minutes to get in again because the server was full (50/50). Probably during that time there were pilots in the Blue team with a death penalty. Because they stayed on the server, I and maybe others couldn't get in.

I think the rule above must be rewritten something like this:

Campaign Conduct Tips
 Mission status updates will be provided in-flight every five minutes to help direct you towards active missions.
Fly > die > move to reserve Teamspeak channel and leave the BS Server > serve your 20 minute death penalty.
If there are no reserves waiting their turn to enter game, THEN you may stay on the server and you can be a backseat gunner in a two-seater during 20-minute death penalty > fly > die > repeat cycle.

This still leaves the problem with persons like my son Carl who only want to act as a gunner. They will eat up a pilot spot of the 25 cap.

I have no solution for this. Can we put a  hard cap on the number of persons in the Blue and Red In-Mission channel, while raising the server cap to e.g. 40?

1 hour ago, Heinrich said:

Probably during that time there were pilots in the Blue team with a death penalty

Thank you for highlighting this, Heinrich.  Ashamedly, I am guilty of this oversight during my first death penalty. I kept looking at the scoreboard in game that showed 22-23 per side, assuming we didn't hit the cap. 

I would say that if you KNOW there is somebody on the game server who is waiting out a death penalty, and you're waiting to get in, go into their comm channel and tell them.  They may be under the assumption that the limit is not reached.  I know I asked a couple of times and was told that we were under our limit.  Personally, I wasn't dead, but I did have to leave and fix something like you did.  When I came back, I had no problem getting back on the server.

With regard to the server capacity, I doubt they will do that.  I believe a gunner takes as much resources from the server as a pilot does.  I think that the limitation imposed is because of the limitations of the server's performance.  There WERE some odd occurrences that appeared to be caused by the server being so full, but not so many that it affected the game play to any significant extent.  Perhaps J5 will see your post and make a determination on this.

1 hour ago, Britchot said:

It would be hard to know if someone died if you weren’t in game or in comms, though. 

True.  But he did seem to know, though....  🤷‍♂️

I think next week, if we have even more JG1's show up (which I suspect and hope will be true), I'll hang back to let others have a chance first.  There is no reason why I should have a guaranteed spot every week.  Truthfully, in the poll, I actually stated that I'd fly either side; so I'm not really sure how I ended up on the Central-only list.  If we are lucky, they may increase the limit for next week....they've used that plan in the past; so if that allows everybody to fly, I'll jump in.  If not, I've had a good amount of flight time in the first week, so I can step aside.  In addition to those who flew in week 1, I think we may see Hook, Hotlead and maybe Labroisse and Lee.  If Brit continues to show up, we may even see an obscure new recruit called "Klaiber" appear before it's all over!!  😄 👍

S!

19 minutes ago, Luftritter said:

If Brit continues to show up, we may even see an obscure new recruit called "Klaiber" appear before it's all over!!  😄 👍

As much as I try to shake that guy, he keeps showing up wherever I go!

Honestly, though, VR WWI will get him online, just as it did with me. 

21 minutes ago, Luftritter said:

If Brit continues to show up, we may even see an obscure new recruit called "Klaiber" appear before it's all over!! 

Haha.  Unfortunately, I didn't register. :(  Too much going on with new house.  Though... I'm dying to fly Flying Circus with the group!

Just now, Britchot said:

As much as I try to shake that guy, he keeps showing up wherever I go!

I'm like a bad penny.  Always turning up. 🙈🙉🙊