Sign in to follow this  
loopy

Post from Jason

Guys,

I love ALL aspects and theaters of WWII. I would love to do them ALL assuming it was possible. My job is to create an achievable, marketable and compelling product that most current and new users would be interested in buying. I've diversified our product line a bit with FC1 and TC because as we keep moving forward, tough decisions on what or what not to build will become harder to swallow if your favorite theater isn't built. Deciding what to build is not easy. And deciding to not make something is even tougher because  you know someone will be disappointed.  A lot of planes are impossible to make flyable simply because we don't have the references or data to make them accurate or even close to accurate. I think the general public underestimates how hard it is to make a plane to our standards, and our standards, well visual standards at least, are not even as extreme as some other products are. Our other standards are quite high and some of the highest ever in a sim so don't take that the wrong way. And some maps are almost impossible to make too due to distances or just general lack of playability or lack of info. 

I have a plan for our next product and if we execute it as I hope, I think it will pretty awesome. The current dev. cycle stretched our ability to the max. and we have endured many unforeseen delays and issues out of our control. It's not been easy. I hope the next round is easier. One of our team members recently was in a bad car accident, and now he has a hematoma on his brain causing us to scramble for the next update. Very scary.

Eventually we will need to build a new engine, when that actually happens is not necessarily known yet. I don't believe in building from complete scratch these days. The biggest work would be in the area of visuals and terrain of course and graphics in general. That part may be from scratch. Everything else would be an evolution of sorts. That is the safest bet for us to stay alive for a long time.

Jason 

Will we get FC2

...well, just want to say that this is nothing new... it was anounced from the very beginning as "Volume 1",  so I am curious why this specific FC1 now should indicate something special???

Not to get me wrong, I am also confident that content for FC will be added over the time, I just do not read anything special on that topic out of this posting...  🤔

However, if I judge the complete situation from a business point of view a possible vision could be: Bring a channel map into IL2 BoX!

Why that, considering that there is already Cliffs of Dover?  => Well the answer is simple: Synergy Effect!

As far as I understand it Team Fusion is working already in some form of loose collaboration with the IL2-Team, they know the channel map pretty well and probably have also collected  lot’s of ressources on the specific planes (that are not in the product scope of BoX now), so I would expect if Experts of Team Fusion and 1C/777 would work together to „migrate“ Cliffs of Dover to an „IL2 Battle of Great Britain“ this might be a first step to create somehow a reservoir of additional resources for 3rd-Party developments based on the IL2 BoX Engine.
An the benefit of starting with a Battle of Great Britain: Beside the fact, that this Scenario is very very popular (I would not think a second to buy the pre-order), I would expect that making a channel map for FC out of this would not need twice the efforts, but finally can be sold twice…

In the mid and long term furture the Team Fusion then could migrate map by map to BoX, the sub-contractor that is working on FC1 now could continue with other parts of the western WW1 front while the Core Team of 1C is working on the pacific theater. => That would create a continious cash flow for the development...

And in all that scenarios you can also use the Tank Crew and all the other features that are already or will be available in BoX (e.g. the VR-ability or this mysterious air marshal feature (whatever this exactly might be))

…. continue that thinking some years in the future and considering the progress on other technologies, I see online Air/Ground battles at various locations around the world running over days with several hundreds of Players involved in the Air and on the Ground and in organizational/commanding roles.

No idea if this is realistic, nevertheless I’d like to stick to that dreaming….🤗

I agree with what Etzel is saying, but based on a single line of Jason's text, "And some maps are almost impossible to make too due to distances " seems to me they wont be working on a pacific theater (at least in the near future, unless they plan on the East Dutch Indies or China, which in my mind would be the only places in the Pacific they could go, with possible small maps like the Lupino map featuring Hawaii or Midway).  Battle of Britain, Africa or Italy seems to be the logical immediate battles/locations to me.  Watched a video that claims they accidentally leaked the next 3 collector planes will be Yak-9, Yak-9t and a Hurricane variant of somesort.  Which if true, would lend credence to Etzel's surmise of the Battle of Britain.

2 hours ago, Kliegmann said:

I agree with what Etzel is saying, but based on a single line of Jason's text, "And some maps are almost impossible to make too due to distances " seems to me they wont be working on a pacific theater (at least in the near future, unless they plan on the East Dutch Indies or China, which in my mind would be the only places in the Pacific they could go, with possible small maps like the Lupino map featuring Hawaii or Midway). 

It doesn't help however we don't have drop tanks or the ability for carrier ops.  I would be more than happy to throw on a couple of drop tanks in a Dead is Dead. Fly for 50 minutes one way. Get in tussle. Fly back and call it a day.  

Like he said some of us just wont get what we want.  I'm fine with that as long as I get what I want.😁 

In all serious though the wording concerns me about building a new engine. How much of the WWI and WWII stuff will get done before they decide to start over.

Regarding the Pacific War: Well, the only (but for sure huge) completely new feature as I see it is the implentation of  carriers and the needed planes for this. This is definitely a very complex thing if they would try to have it as realistic as possible (as I would expect from 1C/777) but if they manage this I think creating new maps then can be done with reasonable efforts as all the islands are very small with just lots of water around them. So they could easily sell then the Pacific War in packages of islands groups...

The issue of long flying times in my opinion is fully in the hand of the mission-builders... If someone one likes it ultra realistic, then put few carrier fleets into the open water with a distance of 150 kms in between them, turn the plane icon on the map off and let's start the match based on the primary target "which side finds the enemy first?"... For the pilots who still want to play pacific based scenarios, but not really having much fun with flying 2 hours over open water you can place the carrier 40 or 50kms next to possible target islands and let's go.... so that should not be the issue to limit the scenario I guess...

However, that is all just gueassing or dreaming around, let's be patient and wait whatever will come.... As  my personell project of setting up a fully VR-ready system properly will become releavant in 3 to 5 years only I have anyhow no problem at all if I see the product pipeline of the IL2 series filled up for many years... 😁

8 hours ago, Razwald said:

In all serious though the wording concerns me about building a new engine. How much of the WWI and WWII stuff will get done before they decide to start over.

There I fully aggree: What is wrong with the existing engine? 😯 Maybe they need it to make use of features of the newest GPU generation?  🤔

The advantages for a BoB scenario are that they have a already lot of planes and ground vehicles ready. Where as with the Pacific we/they need a lot of new planes and ships. But I do would like to fly the US and Japanese planes. But I’m no rush with all the planes I have to master yet in WW I, II, and modern times. 

10 minutes ago, Heinrich said:

But I’m no rush with all the planes I have to master yet in WW I, II, and modern times. 

My words: The BoX/FC series including the Projects that _are_  in pipeline already now providing more gaming possibilities then I can fully utilize considering IRL time constraints...

So the best thing on all the ideas and possibilities is that there is plenty of stuff we all can happily look forward to!  🤗

22 hours ago, Britchot said:

A new engine with a transition from purchased assets, like DCS World did, would be okay with me. If it’s the whole RoF->FC repay, I would certainly balk at that additional fee. 

What connection does DCS have with the whole GB franchise, if any?

With regard to Loopy's original post, it appears to me that this is a tactic that the devs have been using for most of the history of RoF.  Before we even have a complete sim, they're already threatening to say it's over and defunct.  You buy everything possible and STILL they claim it's not enough.  Well, I am tired of it.

MAYBE, they have been looking at the purchases and server stats for FC  so far and have already decided that it's unprofitable.  Even though it's not yet fully completed!

They don't care about the core.  I don't think they ever have.  It's not enough for them.  We've just been lucky enough to have been dragged along with whatever marketing ploy seems viable for them at any given time.

Buyer beware.  I guess only expect the bare minimum of what they advertised (i.e.: volume one).  I think what almost any of us wanted was an extension of RoF.  If you judge by their posts, we'll be lucky to get the bare minimum of volume one, no more.

The sky is falling!  The sky is falling!!

etc.

End Rant

43 minutes ago, Luftritter said:

What connection does DCS have with the whole GB franchise, if any?

None, two completely separate companies.  Although, there is a bit of crossover for the abandoned DCS: 1944 development and Oleg Maddox, I believe.

Eagle Dynamics (ED), the developer of DCS World, changed their game engine a few years ago and all aircraft that were already purchased, were available on the new engine.  It was a very slow transition from one to another, and we had the ability to actually use both engines, just on different maps, the Caucasus (old) and Nevada (new).  Once they had everything ironed out in the new engine, they redid the map for the Caucasus and merged everything into one.  I didn't have to buy a new version of any of the aircraft I had, even the A-10C or Ka-50 (the first two!)

My intent was to point out that I didn't want to buy Flying Circus because I bought ALL of the RoF airplanes, maps, and mods.  With DCS, I haven't had to buy anything again and the only plane I can't fly is the Hawk because the 3rd party company that made it, quit supporting it through updates. 

One exception: the failed DCS: 1944 kickstarter promised planes had to be purchased.  They awarded 2 but the others had to be bought, again.  This was not ED's fault, that was all Oleg and my purchases were made in Kickstarter, not through ED. 

I think flight sims as a whole are filled with a lot of BS, DCS isn't immune, and their forums rules are pretty strict.  However, I haven't been on the IL-2 boards a lot since Battle of Moscow. 

DCS allows several 3rd party companies to provide additional aircraft.  These companies are held to a pretty high standard but the core ED built ones seem to have an even higher quality. Some are lower cost at $15 for non-clickable cockpit, basic planes to $30-40 for unarmed aerobatic planes and $50-$80 for the (almost)full system, clickable cockpit, combat aircraft.