Britchot

FC New Skins Submission Thread [DISCUSSIONS]

On 11/9/2019 at 6:41 PM, Vonrd said:

Klai skins updated. Klai, let me know what you think. Would you like the PD3 with upper wing pink with "Ignatz" like the others?

Klai Alb B.jpg

Klai Dr1 B.jpg

Klai DVII B.jpg

Klai PD3 C.jpg

Those are perfect, Vonrd!  Thank you so much.

I love the pink lower wing on the Pfalz.  So definitely don't change it.

Can't wait to fly in them! ✈️

I've upgraded the skins for my Fokkers D7 and D7F. After @DeFreest Larner posted the skin packages it were these two aircraft which really benefited from his work. The new skins are now visible in the Submission thread with the 2 .dds files attached in the .dds post of my.

@Vonrd, please  have a look and if okay, would you be so kind to attach the 2 skins to the next skin pack update?

Question: what is most handy/convenient do it like this or post new skins and update at the bottom of the thread?

Because this is meant as the discussion part of skinning 😳, I would like to ask @Schäfer, why to use the skin colours of Jasta 15 for your aircraft? That is at least confusing. Why not the Flying Serpent on a Jasta 10 skin? Probably @GenMarkof007 can show you different options to stay close to your Jasta recognisability (is that even English?)

lTZlJI.png

Edited by Heinrich
Quick example for what I mean

10 hours ago, Vonrd said:

I re-did my existing Entente skins and added ones that I didn't have. Got rid of the checkerboard in favor of yellow and black stripe theme... much easier to align on the different parts of the aircraft  😁

Vonrd Brisfit.jpg

Vonrd Camel.jpg

Vonrd Dolphin.jpg

Vonrd SE5.jpg

Vonrd SPAD.jpg

Oh man....I was going to do that exact same thing to the Camel cowl   😄

You snooze, you lose  😋

They all look beautiful.  Simpler, bolder combinations that will show up far better; and great color shades, too.  Superb design theme!

Edited by Klaiber
moved by Klaiber

On 11/25/2019 at 1:07 AM, Vonrd said:

Flying Circus skins updated. Added Flying Goat's skins and Vonrd's updated Entente skins.

File: Flying Circus Update Nov 24 2019

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/13yh1sro865vqmv/AAB-HIKzH97N_Jjn0dbxXEGka?dl=0

May I suggest that you edit the first post to include all the future updates as well? I almost left without getting the new ones thinking the "main pack" was most up-to-date.

17 hours ago, Luftritter said:

@Vonrd

Sopwith Camel skin, for your approval.  Request inclusion in JG1 Official Skin Pack.

All others:  If you have everything else and don't wish to re-download any extra files, you can download the zip file linked below, unzip and place the included file in the proper game folder:

....\Program files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Great Battles\data\graphics\skins\SopCamel

Top.jpg

F-quarter.jpg

R-quarter.jpg

Bottom.jpg

Luftritter Sopwith Camel

S!

That looks great!

S! All

I was working up some skins for Genmarkof. Pattern is the same on all planes.   Underside of wings is green, brown, purple.  It is a little dark in these pictures. Zip files are proper name structure. You can download here and unzip into actual skin folder. 

alb1.jpg

alb2.jpg

D71.jpg

D72.jpg

pd31.jpg

pd32.jpg

@Butzzell

Just for interest's sake, was wondering if you used any of the JG1 J11 templates as a basis or starting point for those skins?

Also, how come you didn't use any of these?

The wing undersides are, well....dark.  Stock undersides unacceptable?

Edited by Klaiber
put orig message in quotes

14 hours ago, Butzzell said:

S! All

I was working up some skins for Genmarkof. Pattern is the same on all planes.   Underside of wings is green, brown, purple.  It is a little dark in these pictures. Zip files are proper name structure. You can download here and unzip into actual skin folder. 

alb1.jpg

alb2.jpg

D71.jpg

D72.jpg

pd31.jpg

pd32.jpg

! JG1 AlbatrosD5 Genmarkof.zip 4.35 MB · 1 download ! JG1 FokkerD7 GenMarkof.zip 4.32 MB · 1 download ! JG1 FokkerD7F GenMarkof.zip 4.32 MB · 1 download ! JG1 PfalzD3a GenMarkof.zip 4.65 MB · 1 download

I spoke with Gen briefly about his skins via PM before the New Year.  He sent them to Brit and I with the interest of getting our thoughts prior to the official submission.

As I mentioned to him, I think the skins look good!  I notice that they've been updated a bit since I last saw them.  I still like them.

The only concern that I had was that this design is an adaptation of Jasta 18.

albatr27.jpg

There's nothing specifically wrong with that, as the markings between Jasta 11 and Jasta 18 can be seen as similar.

But the all-red forward fuselage and upper wings, combined with the all-white rear fuselage, plus the black band and diagonal stripes on the tail elevators is very recognizable as "Jasta Raben" circa April 1918.

Is there a way that we can make it look more like Jasta 11?  Perhaps remove the black band?  Perhaps remove the diagonal stripes on the tail elevators?

Past that, I have no real objections.

36 minutes ago, Klaiber said:

Is there a way that we can make it look more like Jasta 11?  Perhaps remove the black band?  Perhaps remove the diagonal stripes on the tail elevators?

Just as a very mild and well-intentioned suggestion, one thing that might make it look a lot less J18-like and more J11 like, would be to drop the white areas in favor of the stock camo, textures or colors that are normally there (i.e. wood, lozenge, gray, whatever).  Sometimes less is more.  I was unaware about the tail chevrons being connected to J18.  A more sunburst version might look less like a copy; or the chevrons could be black over the stock pattern instead of over white, too.  White is problematic in the game anyway, and even the smallest areas can look like they "glow" from quite far away.

It sucks when you realize that some of your most loved color combinations and design themes have already been "taken" by somebody else.  I know as well as anyone that what also often happens is that my most cherished design ideas just don't look right when you see them on the actual plane model.  I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn that something I thought was an absolutely original idea I had was already used by someone else.

S!  I see your point. The black band does look more like Jasta 18 than Jasta 11.

pfalz_diii_jasta_11-jpg.442998

Looks like Jasta 18 is an adaptation of the basic J II .  Jasta 18 was stationed in the Verdun region so they knew they would not confuse one another with a Jasta 11 plane. They were mistaken for Jasta 11 by Rickenbacker. 

I was going to leave the fuselage stock but the contrast with the white looked stronger. The fuselage is not all white. I did the rear fuselage as black to have it blend in with the tail. I really like the Vertical stab on the  PD3. Originally I had more dirt over the fuselage to cut down the glow. The black band could probably go. It is just that it stands out so well at a distance. Better than the skull even.

Underside of wings is green and purple splotches not lozenge.  No white spinner.

Stripes on the Horizontal Stab were used by many Jastas in many color combinations.  The black band was used by one pilot in Jasta 18. Others used slanted stripes or variations, even a sideways chevron. 

This is also a Jasta 18 color set. The black band is now white. The White vertical fuselage bands can be seen on one of the planes  Labroisse uses.

Is there a Jasta 18 onlne?  Are we going to get complaints?

flat,1000x1000,075,f.u3.jpg

12 minutes ago, Butzzell said:

Is there a Jasta 18 onlne?  Are we going to get complaints?

I don't think we're going to get complaints, and I'm certainly not complaining.

Rather, I'm just saying that I could identify it as Jasta 18 based on the markings.  And am just wondering if there is a way to soften that so that it reads more as Jasta 11.  That way, others will see it that way too.

I'm fine with the way they are though, if you and Gen would rather not change them.

11 hours ago, Vonrd said:

In order to keep the updates down to a reasonable level, I will be doing updates on a monthly basis.

Sorry for the piecemeal submissions....it takes me like a week sometimes to complete one plane, and my goal is to get the Entente planes done before FiF/FC starts; so I figure at least they're available to download, when time permits you to add them.

Will you be submitting / maintaining the post for JG1 FC skins on the new FiF skins section of our forum?  If you'd rather not, I can certainly create one and keep a watch over it.

S!

On 1/9/2020 at 4:41 PM, Klaiber said:

Past that, I have no real objections.

For what it's worth, I had a couple ideas...

First, you could replace the majority of the white with red, and keep perhaps a white tail...something like this (roughly): 

3FNKXg8.png

Second, as Luft suggested, you could drop the white in favour of the default camo, and keep some variation of Black / white tail, like this: 

FcbJ9in.png

I quite like the look of No. 2 as it was quite historical for J4, J10 and J11's Alb D.Va pilots to have a 'unique' tail to identify themselves (one pilot had a white tail, one had a blue tail, etc) 

21 hours ago, AngryGoat said:

At the crack of dawn, Kessler was sent to the flight line for a special test flight. Per suggestion from Anthony Fokker... He was to fly the Fokker DVIIF. After Delivering the new Dr1. Anthony warned Kessler that the Dridecker was becoming an obsolete machine in the aircraft race. It had a special paint job to it. it was an Angry Goat version of the Fairy Tale "the seven Swabians". Test flight was adequate for the most part. Kessler was quoted by saying "she flies like a tractor until she gets to altitude!" Unfortunately a serious accident occurred upon landing. witnesses said it looked like Kessler might've hit a ditch. causing the aircraft to violently ground loop and ultimately causing the destruction of the left wings, prop, and landing gear. Kessler was reported to have said that the real reason for the incident occurring was "Being so use to a rotary engine and a blip switch, I must've been traveling to fast on final approach. I cut the engine off early to compensate... but it was to late to recover." Kessler was sent to the medic tent for minor injuries making him unelidable for sunday's sortie. but should be back in the air tomorrow. as for the DVIIF... it was hauled back to the maintenance hanger and will go through a very extensive rebuild. Sgt. Kessler added that the aircraft will be his last alternative for IF his rotary engines ever fail him

field.jpg

takeoff.jpg

church.jpg

sunkiss.jpg

citylife.jpg

harshlanding.jpg

rollover.jpg

S! Goat.

That goat is very intimidating.

I really like what you did on the wheels.

Move the goat forward and make the Schwaben guys bigger with more color?

fokker_seven_sweibens_1024x1024.jpg?v=14